The online racing simulator
First motorcycle race crash
(19 posts, started )
Pocono East
TPM "Supermoto" race (under 650cc and 2 cylinders or less)
October 4, 2008

Bike: 1990 Kawasaki EX500 (aka Ninja 500, GPZ500)

The green flag waved just as I clicked into first. Whoops. I grabbed a handful of throttle and feathered the clutch as best I could as a couple bikes whizzed by. I dropped to 6th as we came out of T5 (first turn of the race, having started on the oval straight) after starting 2nd. I was running behind an Aprilia RS250 and, after the first lap, it was clear I was a bit quicker than him. I made a small attempt at an outbraking maneuver going into the bus stop (T8?) but thought better of it and backed off. We got onto the normal front straight past the pits and I started braking for T1 just past the front straight kink. Then it happened.

I was hard on the brakes, standing the bike up from the right-handed kink for the left-handed T1, when suddenly, without warning, I was slammed down onto my right side at approximately 50-60 mph. I ended up on my back, sliding feet first. I lifted my head slightly and saw my bike sliding along about 15 feet in front of me. "Aww shit..." At that point I started thinking about trying to get up but quickly realized I was still sliding. When I was sure I had stopped, I hopped to my feet and walked off the track, glancing back at my bike another 25 feet away and at my scuffed leathers, utterly disgusted with myself. I thought for sure I wasn't braking as hard as I could and still had plenty of front grip left. It just didn't make sense.

Then one of the trackday coaches came walking over. He had seen the whole thing from merely yards away. After asking me if I was okay, he told me a supermoto a few places ahead had blown its motor and dumped the full contents of its oil pan on the track. Surprisingly, I found some relief in his explanation. It wasn't my fault after all, I just got unlucky. That didn't make me feel so bad because I've always known that is one of the accepted risks of riding on the track. It's certainly a safer enviroment than the street, but other people still make mistakes and machinery can still cause problems.

Immediately after going down my fingertips were numb but that soon subsided. The two main things that are still sore are my right knee and shoulder and, to a lesser extent, my neck, but I'm expecting all of that to feel better within a week. Fortunately no other damage beyond that, including no broken bones.

Bike damage report:
- hole in the water pump (it sits on the right side and sticks out a bit, very vulnerable)
- bent right handlebar and brake lever
- brake pedal tab ground down (the part you put your foot on)
- right side of upper fairing smashed (and fairing stay most likely a little bent)
- front right turn signal smashed (aftermarket)
- right-side exhaust bent in a little (I think)
- squeaky rear suspension (may be a result of the swingarm contacting the right-side exhaust can, I'm not sure yet)

Perhaps the funniest thing to come out of all of this was when the trackday coach mentioned above and another rider pushed my bike back to my trailer. They commented to each other on the difficulty they were having pushing it and the height of the bars. Both said they couldn't believe I could ride it the way I do.
well atleast it wasnt your fault and you didnt get hurt!

Pics or video?
glad youre ok my little closet european
Glad you're okay!
Is the bike repairable? Hope you get it sorted!
Good to hear that you're OK, even if the bike isn't 100%
Well at least nothing other than some bruises and sores. Should put some pics of the bike up if you can, hopefully it's all easily fixable and such!
Is it just me, or does it sound exciting?

I rarely fall off my MTB but when i do i find it funny and always has a laugh about it and how lame i was to of dropped. Anyways, good ur ok Forbin shame about ze bike.
Thanks for the kind words, guys. Here are some pics of the aftermath. Sorry for the poor quality.

I think with the exception of my helmet, all of my gear is reusable. The only possible problem is the 2 small holes on the right leg of the leathers (one on the hip where the black spandex is supposed to be, the other on the leather flex panel just above the knee) but I think those will be okay.

I may just end up selling the bike as is and putting the money toward a Suzuki SV650 race bike.
Ye, that would be a good idea. How much do you think you would get from this bike though?
#11 - MR_B
Great relief that you're okay, and I commend you on investing in some proper gear! Too many people skimp on the safety gear.
Glad you're okay! Honestly, I'm too scared to put myself onto a bike... Love the concept... hate the potential for body damage!
sorry to hear about the crash! that was quite unlucky. Good thing the injuries don't appear to be anything too bad.

I was thinking about getting a bike maybe in the summer when i have some freetime and some spare cash.
Good to hear your ok, how much you reckon it would cost to repair the bike if you did?
Didn't see this until now. Back luck mate, but as you say it's part of motorsport, and at least it wasn't your fault!

Hope you get it all sorted and get back on the pace next time out.
Quote from lil chris :Good to hear your ok, how much you reckon it would cost to repair the bike if you did?

- water pump cover and gaskets: ~$120
- right side bar and brake lever: ~$120
- brake pedal: ~$50
- fairing and fairing stay: $900-1000 (unpainted)

Those are rough estimates of OEM prices. Haven't really taken a close look at the exhaust or rear suspension yet.

EDIT: Exhaust and suspension seem fine.

Quote from BenjiMC :Ye, that would be a good idea. How much do you think you would get from this bike though?

I have it up for sale for $1000 USD.
Quote from Forbin :- water pump cover and gaskets: ~$120
- right side bar and brake lever: ~$120
- brake pedal: ~$50
- fairing and fairing stay: $900-1000 (unpainted)

Those are rough estimates of OEM prices. Haven't really taken a close look at the exhaust or rear suspension yet.

EDIT: Exhaust and suspension seem fine.

I have it up for sale for $1000 USD.

Don't waste your money on replacing the fairing with OEM kit. Get a fibreglass replica fairing, if you can. Also, you should also invest in crash protectors, (you know the "peg" like things you see sticking out of the fairings of some bikes?), and bar end sliders to fit the end of your handlebars, see here:

http://www.rg-racing.com/brows ... aki/GPZ500/All_Years.aspx
Get some R&G crash bungs, some new pegs and bar ends, and get a race fairing and you'll be ok.

Bad luck on the crash, however. Glad you're ok
I don't really want to spend any more money on this bike. I haven't quite maxed it out yet but I'm fairly close and looking to upgrade anyway.

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG