The online racing simulator
#1 - Yerbs
user submited content - decrease development time
this would only really work for stuff like new tracks/ car models etc but my example is on tracks.

Ok basically, if someone makes a track +/- textures i don't know and wants to submit it to LFS then bobs your uncle a submitted track but a few rules need to be applied.

1) It needs to be in a compatible format e.g. 3ds (or whatever the tracks are built with for the game)

2) needs to be shown off in the submission so whoever looks at it from LFS can imideatly tell if its worth the time to look at

3) all rights to use and modify the track are given to the LFS team upon submission.

Reason) if a submission of decent design and detail is submitted then it will cut down development costs and time on a new track

Example) there is a great example of user submitted content working in the development of a game, its called infinity: The quest for earth. and it just goes to show that users can achieve a level equal or sometimes even better to what the game developers can do.

Doubts) there will be some of you out there saying that LFS doesn't need a new track and stuff like that - well if someone wants to build a track and have it part as a game i say let them try, if it doesn't get in, no biggie if it does were no worse off because of it, we have a new track to play with and at significant less time to the devs than them designating and building a new track from scratch them selfs.

Incentive) perhaps as a reward for the submission (if passed into game) the player can have LFS free forever (no matter what S edition comes out???)

information) all that people need to have to start off really is the model formats and maybe some size information and the permission to actually submit content

pro's:
1) new tracks/cars/stuff
2) faster development on content
3) more time to improve other parts of game
4) less development costs
5) more content will probably bring more paying customers

cons:
1) devs loose a few mins looking at content unworthy

please only constructive criticism and mature reply only
This has been suggested before already, with all kinds of rules and twists to make it as comfortable and unproblematic for the devs as possible. However, the truth seems to be that the devs are simply not interested in something like that, at least regarding the main content. It's not like they didn't have chances to implement real tracks without licensing costs before, they're just doing their thing the way they want it to do.
I agree in principle although I would flesh out the procedure more. This just an idea about how it could work - explained in possibly rather excessive language.

For example Joe Bloggs wants to make a Formula Example.
  1. The idea is pitched to a number of "gatekeepers" (possibly like beta testers plus maybe a few). They would either approve the concept, reject it for one of three reasons. Stupid idea, too similar to existing, or would require much new coding. These would be logged and if they want to the devs could override.
  2. During the process they would take interest if they have done previous content for LFS and quality of other sim stuff.
  3. As LFS doesn't have a V10 3 litre single seater with wide track and slicks it gets approved.
  4. If JB gets the green light, he starts making his Formula Example model in 3D Application Of Choice. Physics come later.
  5. During the process of production the "gatekeepers" will monitor (Hi how's the car going, can I have a look etc). More so if their track record is smaller or not so good.
  6. Once the car is modelled and textured it would be put in to a special development copy of LFS for the modder(s). It would be watermarked, only allowed to be unlocked by one or two LFS licences etc. The physics would be as per pitch.
  7. Continual testing to improve it to a good standard.
  8. Beta testing, followed by inclusion if good enough.
This reduces one of you negatives as the devs would be less involved with the process. As for the rewards, what about a mug or something?
#4 - Yerbs
sounds like you thought this out well aswell, nice version of the idea - thanks.
I agree with both of the posts but if there are a lot of good tracks in LFS it would be hard to find a server with a good amount of people to race with but if you had more content hopefully more people would play LFS, and if they change the demo a little bit or not even change it people would buy S1/S2 or S3 when it comes out and if more people buy LFS the devs would make more money and they would have a insentive to speed up the phiycs (sp?) making. I hope you understood that cause when i get an idea or brainwave i just type and sometimes nobody understands it. thats just my point of view but yes i would love to see more tracks cause I don't play LFS that much becuase i'm bored with always racing a ASton National and i would like to race on Kyoto GP Long or Westhill becuase there challenging tracks but nobody races on them.
Quote from swisscosmo :I agree with both of the posts but if there are a lot of good tracks in LFS it would be hard to find a server with a good amount of people to race with

There would probably be less servers with each track, but about the same amount of servers.

Quote :but if you had more content hopefully more people would play LFS,

Of course.

Quote :and if they change the demo a little bit or not even change it people would buy S1/S2 or S3 when it comes out and if more people buy LFS the devs would make more money and they would have a insentive to speed up the phiycs (sp?) making.

I don't think the demo would need to be affected but more people would buy LFS I'd imagine. I don't think it would necessarily provide an incentive to speed up the physics.

Quote :I hope you understood that cause when i get an idea or brainwave i just type and sometimes nobody understands it.

I do that sometimes myself

Quote :thats just my point of view but yes i would love to see more tracks cause I don't play LFS that much becuase i'm bored with always racing a ASton National and i would like to race on Kyoto GP Long or Westhill becuase there challenging tracks but nobody races on them.

I'm starting to get a bit tired the current content, it's occasionally nice to have a track and have no clue where the braking points are and are driving by VFR, so to speak.
Sound´s good , but it´s not possible , cuz dev dont want it , if they want that , with all that kind of rules and etc etc etc , it whould be done long time ago

user submited content - decrease development time
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG