The online racing simulator
Skipping on Vista
(14 posts, started )
Skipping on Vista
dunno if this has been asked before... I tried searching but I really don't know how to look for my exact problem, so here it goes.

A few weeks ago I bought a new PC, wich is like the last one but with 2 Core Duo, two HD's and Vista.
Since then LFS kinda freezes with each deformation on the car, in other words, everytime I crash, even if its a gently tap, the game bugs a bit.
This is really anoying while driving, specially on big races, because it bugs with EVERY contacta that's enough to deform ANY car!

Hope some has an answere for this, because without this repaired, I won't be able to race in a leage anymore
I think we need more information. I'll ask what's on my mind. I have used LFS on my daughters laptop which came with vista and it run's fine, so lets dismiss the OS for now. My theory is its not that. First thing that comes to mind is what hardware are you running? Mainly graphics and sound? Those are the two that matter the most. Have you anything that is not what I would call a standard part like a printer or scanner? And have you made sure all drivers are up to date?
I'm running on a Gforce GT8500, dunno about the sound... and I have the lastest Nvidia drivers
About the printer, not yet... but I used it on the last pc, and it worked fine
Well the sound as much as its important is not crucial, and probably wont make a difference. The game updates on the condition of your car when you have a prang, or at least I would assume! So lets work on this step by step, maybe together we can crack it....

What about networking? What did you have and what do you now have? Snotty string or waves?

Any different background processes? File share, voip, live streaming....?

And have you tried thinning down on whats running with Task Manager? It could be worth checking whats running and taking it down to the essentials just to make sure its nothing there.

All we looked at so far is a little hardware, we can work through the list until its sorted. It could also just be a poor install.
hmm, what I'm using now, as I said, is pretty similar to my old pc... I'm using nothing new I even have more RAM now!
I hope we can sort this, as I want to get back to racing ASAP, and I can't with LFS running like this...
Thanks in advance, for the fast asweres!
OK, that's good news and/or bad.... depending on how your looking at it. So did you transfer parts from your previous computer? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to work through it piece by piece in my head. And have you tried thinning down on processes and going for a little destruction yet?
Does it do it when you are on your own or when racing with lots of other cars?

I'm running a dual core processor (4400+ iirc) with 2GB RAM and a 1GB Gainward GeForce 8600GT with Vista. I get good frame rates (near constant 100fps when I'm on my own and 40-50fps when there are 20 cars bouncing off each other), but I have noticed the same jumpiness as you, although it's quite tolerable and only when I have some 20 cars giving it Kamikaze at the start of the race.

I would imagine the jumping is caused by LFS calculating physics, suspension and tyres as well as body deformation and AI all at once. The effect is obviously increased as the number of cars does.
Yes, I transfered the old HD, and my Videocard.
Haven't tried shutting down process' yet, I will.
It happens everytime a car deformates in my sight, no matter if I'm online or not.
Yes, it's quite tolerable, but it really annoys me and as you, I keep about 100fps constantly.

Thanks for all the posts!
OK, I have no quick answer at the moment, it could be worth trying a reduced frame rate, 25 FPS would probably be the lowest I would try as it matched television (PAL) and should be smooth enough, less frames means less to change.

Its a theory. At the moment you get a dent and your computer is making the changes while trying to display them 100 times in a second, not a lot of work for a computer but still, its quite fast, less frames would be less work.

Let me think for a little bit, I'll come up with some fresh ideas.
I'd start by stripping out every bell and useless whistle that Vista has like the transparent windows and the fancy new stuff..

control panel -. system -. advanced -. performance "adjust for best performance"

that alone will free up a lot of system resources and could very well fix the issue.
Tried limiting FPS... didn't help and on idle windows I'm using between 00 and 2% of the cpu... so I don't think it's that
ok guys, sorry for bumping this old thread, but noticed something while trying to record a video.
On my old pc, LFS would run at about 40fps while recording with fraps. Now it sticks at 11fps, and no, it's not Fraps' config. cause I already checked that.
Maybe it could give ppl a clue. I'm desperate.

Edit: Tried what Cahill said, no noticeable difference, but I'll keep it close to performance just because :P
Also tried restoring LFS' original graphic setup (from the nVidia control panel)
Quote from Racer556 :ok guys, sorry for bumping this old thread, but noticed something while trying to record a video.
On my old pc, LFS would run at about 40fps while recording with fraps. Now it sticks at 11fps, and no, it's not Fraps' config. cause I already checked that.

If you have full-scene antialiasing running it will kill your FPS majorlly when you record. Also if you have the Texture filtering it will also drop it, but the antialiasing will drop it the most (turn to "none" when recording).

GL with the original poster.. I recently upgraded (downgraded) to vista and there is one random game I used to play that freezes up every 15 seconds
I still belive it's not a resources problem, but an optimization one, because LFS runs flawlessly, at high fps, until I crash.
I used to record with Fraps and AA without problems

edit: Tried with turning down graphics, AA, AF, etc. with no results, same glitches as always. (Average FPS 90)

Skipping on Vista
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG