The online racing simulator
Internet Speed Really Slow...
(39 posts, started )
#1 - Jakg
The speed of t'interweb on my PC is realllllllly slow, even though on my laptop it's normal speed.

This has been happening since my Dad swapped routers over.

All dynamic IP's.

PC connects to a homeplug switch thingy, then to a switch and then to the router.

Laptop connects to a Netgear access point, then to the homeplug switch and then to the switch and then router.

What could it be?
Try doing some basic diagnosis, things like changing your microfilters, moving the computer to different access points, etc. Try swapping the router back, or even checking out the current router's settings.
I blame the ruter, connect directly to the modem and the problem is solved. I swear, from my experience as internett supporter I can tell you that freaking 80% of all kind of internett problems are those damned routers, and if you have wireless it's just a matter of time before it's going to get screwed.
Quote from The Very End :I blame the ruter, connect directly to the modem and the problem is solved. I swear, from my experience as internett supporter I can tell you that freaking 80% of all kind of internett problems are those damned routers, and if you have wireless it's just a matter of time before it's going to get screwed.

Yes, let's all abandon routers. They're clearly more trouble than they're worth. :rolleyes:
#5 - Jakg
Quote from JamesF1 :Try doing some basic diagnosis, things like changing your microfilters, moving the computer to different access points, etc. Try swapping the router back, or even checking out the current router's settings.

I can't swap the modem back (Dad is in control of the network out of my room and he is well... a nub). In my room I have a homeplug thingy with a switch built in - my Xbox, a WiFi access point and my PC are connected to this. WiFi access point - full speed on the laptop. PC (connected to the SAME Homeplug thingy) - slow as shit.

As such I can't really see how the Microfilters etc are the problem, and I can't really connect direct to the modem as I don't have a really really long cable.

FWIW I've tried a static (and dynamic) IP using both the Routers and Open DNS - i've also tried re-installing the LAN Drivers.

Next step i've just thought off - trying the cable in my laptop...
#6 - SamH
You're a working man now, Jak.. get your own BT line
Quote from STROBE :Yes, let's all abandon routers. They're clearly more trouble than they're worth. :rolleyes:

Hehe, don't get me wrong, routers are a fantastic tool and when they work - they are brilliant. I just saying that the chances that they will cause problems, slow-downs, hang ups etc etc are HUGE. I never been into a electrionic equiptment that has caused so much trouble as routers, maybe I just have been / seen a lot of random things, but they seem to be problematic.

FYI, I am using a 20 meter cable, so I can manage myself without a router
Quote from Jakg :IWiFi access point - full speed on the laptop. PC (connected to the SAME Homeplug thingy) - slow as shit.

Then it's either router setup, or something between the plug and your PC.
#9 - Bean0
Dodgy cable ?

Or interference if you have a birds nest behind your desk.
I'm having really irritating problems with losing connection mid-race and while trying to join a server, although browsing the net is fine. I think it may be because my PC uses wireless to the router downstairs but it's either that or run 20m of CAT5 round the house.

Does anyone know the max length of a CAT5 connection?
Quote from Crashgate3 :I'm having really irritating problems with losing connection mid-race and while trying to join a server, although browsing the net is fine. I think it may be because my PC uses wireless to the router downstairs but it's either that or run 20m of CAT5 round the house.

Does anyone know the max length of a CAT5 connection?

Roughly 100 meters between repeaters assuming the cable is fine.
#12 - Jakg
Quote from Crashgate3 :Does anyone know the max length of a CAT5 connection?

100m (or 328ft) - however I know people who've done more times that outdoors using "ordinary" CAT5 shielded with an (empty) hose pipe no less.
Quote from Bean0 :Dodgy cable ?

Or interference if you have a birds nest behind your desk.

I have a LOT of cables under my desk, but the cable runs parallel to a power and speaker lead under the carpet to my PC - the "cable mess" is under my desk, as a pose to being near my PC which means it shouldn't be an issue.

The cable only runs about 10-12 feet from my PC the Homeplug thingy anyway.
Under carpet cables get trodden on and all sorts.

Do you have a known good cable to test with ?
#14 - Jakg
It goes around the edge of my room, no-one has trodden on it - but I will try the cable in my laptop tonight and see if i can find a cable to use on the PC to test that...
#15 - Jakg
Just tested the cable on my laptop - works fine.

The problem is with my PC itself...
Quote from SamH :You're a working man now, Jak.. get your own BT line

Don´t ask for miracles...
Just a thought, check event log for both your PC firewall and router. There could be some program that cannot access internet through new router and spams the heck out of it trying to find open port.

Another thing you could try is clearing DNS cache.
#18 - Jakg
Right - PC's back together. Still have this problem

What can I / should I do?

FWIW I've just tried to transfer something from my laptop to my PC via LAN and it went very VERY slow (500 KB/s) - does that narrow it down at all?
Long shot...

Use DrTCP to change your MTU.

Back in the day, the XP default was 1500 and the UK ADSL network max was less.
This caused fragmentation which interfered with some things.

MTU tweaking was common to eek the last few KB/sec out of your 512 lines
#20 - CSU1
Quote from Jakg :Right - PC's back together. Still have this problem

Tell Dad to stop D/L pron?
Quote from Jakg :Right - PC's back together. Still have this problem

FWIW I've just tried to transfer something from my laptop to my PC via LAN and it went very VERY slow (500 KB/s) - does that narrow it down at all?

most likely there is a small kitten stuck inside the port, try dangling a ball of yarn to entice the little bugger out. DO NOT send in a small dog.....these thing piss all over the place and chew on the cables, causes more hassle than it's worth.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I've had a long day, and need to be a little stupid now.
#22 - Jakg
Quote from Bean0 :Long shot...

Use DrTCP to change your MTU.

Back in the day, the XP default was 1500 and the UK ADSL network max was less.
This caused fragmentation which interfered with some things.

MTU tweaking was common to eek the last few KB/sec out of your 512 lines

Would that affect LAN transfer speed though?

Remember a laptop plugged into the same switch works fine...
If the PC is sending packets larger than the switch likes then fragmentation will occur.
I suppose the different NICs handle it different ways.

It's esy enough to change back anyways
#24 - Jakg
MTU @ 1478.

Still the problems
Do you have a spare NIC lying around, by any chance? I'm no expert at all, but I would try using a different NIC to see if that helps. The fact that data transfer in LAN is slow as well makes me suspect that something's buggered with your card. Unless I've overlooked something in this thread and you're already sure that it's not your card.

(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG