The online racing simulator
9 fps in FRAPS when recording.
(23 posts, started )
#1 - WF07
I have about 92FPS constant in game, with settings on full, but when I record with Fraps, I get 9FPS, maybe 10. On my old PC, (60FPS low settings) I would get about 20FPS when recording, so this can't be right. There is nothing wrong with fraps, it works with other programs just fine, but when with LFS it's terrible.

Any suggestions? Any settings need tweaking that could affect this?
Turn off AA/AF in LFS options. Force AA/AF in video driver control panel.

If it doesn't help try switching color depth to 16-bit in LFS (this will sacrifice picture quality though).
I believe there's a FPS limit when recording, make sure you're using the right setting. If not, it's probbably because Fraps uses alot of system resources so if you have a single core CPU that's probbably the reason.
i have the same problem real low fps with fraps

specs:Core2duo e6550 2.33\1333fsb 2gb ddr2/800mhz 8600gt 256mb

my old computer would do it and it was a P4w/HT @ 3.2 800fsb 1.5gb ram

dont understand it
I'd suggest recording and .250 speed, F2/F3 speed up or down. I have to have all AA/AF off while playing to get descent fps and when I fraps it has gone to 1fps with alot of cars on screen. Recording at slow speed then speeding it back up to edit helps.

Btw, my system is ancient and doesn't come close to anyones here, so if I can you should be able to. I would reduce the AA/AF slightly but not turn it off, press F2 a couple of times in the replay to slow it down and then fraps. Should be ok, once you figure out how to speed it back up again.
#6 - WF07
Quote from AnyBodyKilla :i have the same problem real low fps with fraps

specs:Core2duo e6550 2.33\1333fsb 2gb ddr2/800mhz 8600gt 256mb

my old computer would do it and it was a P4w/HT @ 3.2 800fsb 1.5gb ram

dont understand it

I have the 8600GT, E6750 (2x2.66 (so... not single core), and 2 gigs of ram.
I don't know if there is such setting in Fraps, but if possible, try using some non-compressing codec (something else than DivX, Xvid, WMV etc.), that should unload the CPU a bit and increase the FPS.
#8 - Bean0
Quote from breadfan :I don't know if there is such setting in Fraps, but if possible, try using some non-compressing codec (something else than DivX, Xvid, WMV etc.), that should unload the CPU a bit and increase the FPS.

Fraps outputs uncompressed video, just a short capture will be a few hundred MB.

Disk speed could be an issue, I get best results record the Fraps output onto a separate physical drive than the one running XP, LFS etc.

I have Q6600, 8800GTS, 2GB. I can record 800x600 at 30fps no problems.
If disk speed was the issue, he would experience frame dropping rather than low FPS imho. I'd advise to lower the resolution so that the CPU has less work. Anyway, if the intention was to post videos on youtube, 320x240 is fairly enough.
I record at full size, with the fps in fraps set to 30fps. in game frame rate limited to 30fps and as mentioned earlier, i record the replay at slower speed and then speed back up with windows movie maker. i use 0.5 speed because i havent registered my fraps. i would only get 7.5 seconds per recording! i just import the videos and join all the bits together. When i save the movie in movie maker i choose the high quality video (large) setting, a 2 minute video only takes up about 6 or 7mb that way.

i find if i do a virus scan, adware/malware scan and a disk defragmenter before recording it helps a lot as well.
Quote from WF07 :I have the 8600GT, E6750 (2x2.66 (so... not single core), and 2 gigs of ram.

I have the 8800gt, E6750 (2x3.22, overclocked) and I record at 30+fps with AA

But if i'm with 4xSAA for example, the FPS go to 5fps, but if i'm with 16xQAA I can get more than 30fps, try changing your AA options
#12 - JJ72
I have the same problem.

It records smoothly in more demanding games such as PES and Rfactor, but in LFS it gets really choppy. also around 9fps.
It could indeed be the resolution. I've noticed a huge framedrop when working with fraps since i have a bigger monitor and upscaled to 1600*1050. Next time i'll change that too, the resolution is a little overkill for youtube
I get the exact same problem - almost all other games it's absolutely fine, but whatever the settings on LFS, whethers there's other cars around me or not, the FPS always drops to about 8/9, and it's the same if I slow it down.
#15 - Jakg
Try 16-Bit Mode...?
I also have this problem...

I got a Intel® Quad Core Q6600 and a Nvidia XFX 9600GT
None of you mention the resolutions you're using to capture. If you're running LFS at very high res, you should switch capturing mode into "half-size" which will make it much faster and output the video in half resolution of the original.
#18 - Jakg
If you really need more speed, don't set it to half-size - set the resolution of LFS down to 800*600 (or lower) and then set Fraps to "Full Size"
I have the same problem, but it's locket on 6 fps here, while I got 250-300 fps in LFS at most times. Maybe around 100 with full grid, and may go down to 50-60 with 32 AI cars (using AROX method) .

But the second I start recording it's locket on 6...

Got geforce 8800 GTX, 2GB 1000mhz or 1333 (don't remember) DDR2 ram, Dual Core 6850. Using full resolution in LFS, that is 16xx/1xxx , 32 bith depth and AA and AF. Tried turning off AA and AF but no changes.. Also tried forcing these on/off in video settings without results
#20 - JJ72
Quote from Crommi :None of you mention the resolutions you're using to capture. If you're running LFS at very high res, you should switch capturing mode into "half-size" which will make it much faster and output the video in half resolution of the original.

800x600.

which I usually get 100fps plus with. but it drops to 9, and it is very unstable as if something is choking the system.

I usually only get 40 to 50% fps drop with fraps in other games, rfactor, Iracing etc etc.
Turn the AA off completely, solved it for me.
Maybe try to record at 0.250 and then 4x speed up, it will be 36 fps...

And, 2 things:
1. buy a separate (80 gb will be enought) HDD for fraps if u want to do really good captures
2. Don't use in-game AA settings, set AA in driver panel!!! I had 5-10 fps with 8xAA ingame (when recording) and with 16xAA via driver i got 25fps!
LFS probably has a lot of CPU calculations to do. AI, physics, body deformation, suspension, tyres etc etc etc. It's not as pretty as other games, so the graphics probably doesn't play much of a part in it.

That and Fraps is a renouned resource thief.

(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG