dedicated server?
(9 posts, started )
dedicated server?
Is the dedicated LFS server only for use on a local netowrk, or can it be accessed from the internet ??

I was having trouble getting people to join any of my hosted games, despite having the correct router ports open and was going to try the local server instead.

hope this isn't a stupid question.
The dedicated host should be accessible to the internet and not restricted to local users only. I currently have 3 instances of LFS Dedi on my linux system which is on a local area network and they work fine apart from a few timeouts. How have you setup your .cfg file? did you enter an IP address? You could test it in the DMZ to see what happens, however, make sure you have a good firewall before you try this.
I just left the IP address as deafult (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) , do I need to enter my external IP address ??

Also does the dedicated server publish itself on the list of hosts ?? or do the guests only connect to it using the IP ??
1) The IP does not need to be entered in most cases, however, mine worked better when I entered the network IP address (the 192.168.1.X) and I found less problems connecting insims. Don't forget to remove the second "/" on settings you wish to enable.

2) Unless you change the settings your host should be listed with all the other hosts when a player is trying to join a multi player game. Remember that it may not show up in the list when it is empty if you do not choose to have empty hosts in the list.

LFS Dedi should provide you with a long term host that is alot less draining on your system. If you only want your host for a short period of time you may find it easier to start a host from within the client.
That is actually very helpful, however, my timeouts are down to the fact that all the lines here are made of aluminum. This house was build during the strikes in the copper mines, there was a great shortage of copper at the time. It tends to happen more at rush hour and when the schools turn out. Its just BT being slack in my case.

Quote from Deejayyaj :Try to read some topics from this post, maybe this could help you solve your connection: Client Connect: Connect Timed Out Dedicated Server
at this link:
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=46647

or visit Port Forwarding for an open port guides if you use a router.

Edit: Also a helpful tips by (the_angry_angel):
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.p...266#post157266

Quote from Psysim :1) mine worked better when I entered the network IP address (the 192.168.1.X) and I found less problems connecting insims.

nice one. i'll try this one later in my other router using "192.168.1.X".
Yeah, let me know how that goes. As I say, it improved things for me, it worked better than using the loop back. Somewhere there is also a brief guide to setups, its not the best but it tells you what you need to know without the in's and out's of the cats rectum. I believe its linked on the_angry_angel informative guide.
everything now working fine. I specified my local IP address and was able to connect over LAN, and I could see the server name in the Host list. My friends couldn't connect though, and just timed out. Had to change the port to 29339 to get them to connect.

very pleased

dedicated server?
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG