The online racing simulator
CTRA GP points...
(10 posts, started )
CTRA GP points...
What are they?
Quote from SamH :Hi guys.. these stats are in their infancy at the moment, so don't place any expectations on them. As you can see, it's showing your points for this month. Technically it's only showing them from about a week into the month. October will be the first complete month.

The single most obvious flaw in CTRA stats until now has been the lack of granularity in the information available. Someone has 15,000 Single Seater points.. but WHEN did s/he get them, how long did it take, did they do it by winning or by taking part, etc.. this is what we wanted to address moving into the future.

The GP Points are raw F1 GP-style winning stats. 1st=10, 2nd=8, 3rd=6, 4th=5 and so on. They don't take into consideration the number of people that started the race and yellows aren't a factor.. you can finish in 2nd and get 8pts even if you're down a lap (as long as you're not a midrace joiner).. in fact, you can finish 2nd and get position 1 and 10pts, if the person that finished first is in a different CTRA class (GT2 vs GTR, FJR vs FO8 etc). Stats are collected per server and per car class. It's not perfect yet, by any stretch, but it is coming along.

Ultimately you will be able to select any month, week, day or hour.. and chart your CTRA stats for that time period. You will be able to compare them directly with other players on a graph in all respects, and at the same time CTRA will be able to create monthly and weekly leaderboards and histories.

Don't place any emphasis on these stats yet. We're still building on them and enhancing the information that is stored, as time permits. We may yet find that we need to wipe all and start over, to improve the value of the data that is stored as we bring more numbers into the mix. We're shooting for completion by Christmas, so that we can enter 2009 with a new CTRA statistical era.

Ah ha, thanks, been really busy recently and not had chance to read some of the stuff in the forum. Obviously I passed over this bit!
I like the new Top20, and I like the features Sam described above. I'd like to make a few suggestions that might be already taken into consideration by the time being.

1. Right now you can see each server stats separately or all servers together. Maybe add the possibility to have "all race license servers" and "all single seater servers".

2. Possibility to swtich between sorting by GP points or sorting by standard CTRA points.

*. This has nothing to do with points, but to not open a new thread: Add the possibility to mark people as "clean racers". After a race you are given the chance to mark one or two people as clean racers (only if you want!). The system stores that info and when you go to your MyCTRA stats you can see how many people marked you as a clean racer, or when you enter a server the system tells you if there are any players that you consider clean racers, so you be more confident when being around them, greet them and be buddies!
#5 - SamH
These stats are still very much in their infancy. I now have the desired level of data capture established within the X-System, but we've a couple of weeks to wait, now, while we gather some data to copy over to development and use as a test harness. Once I have that, I can begin to develop the different methods of querying the data that we have, and the different ways of presenting it. I've deleted about 23,000 entries that are redundant since I increased the depth of data being captured. We're on target to launch these as usable stats by the new year

I don't really want to enter into the "rate my driving" sphere within CTRA. We maintain "yellow stats", which drivers place far more emphasis on than we do. We only use yellow flags as a component in points calculation, nothing more. Those stats are, largely, a good yardstick in themselves but we won't be presenting them inside server menus at any point. They're website-only.
Quote from SamH :These stats are still very much in their infancy. I now have the desired level of data capture established within the X-System, but we've a couple of weeks to wait, now, while we gather some data to copy over to development and use as a test harness. Once I have that, I can begin to develop the different methods of querying the data that we have, and the different ways of presenting it. I've deleted about 23,000 entries that are redundant since I increased the depth of data being captured. We're on target to launch these as usable stats by the new year

I don't get much of these, but today I checked my "top20" at the UFBR server, and I think that it's counting the GP points for today's races only. Maybe this has something to do with all that you've described.
#7 - SamH
Yep, I did an update during this weekend and deleted the stats up until that point.
Quote from SamH :Yep, I did an update during this weekend and deleted the stats up until that point.

Wondered why my number of races decreased after 2 hours of racing :-)

Sam, just a couple random question wrt these stats.

What determines a completed race - does it consider mid race joins?
- what happens with telepitting in the middle of a racing and then rejoing? is this a completed race and do the above score points?
I am guessing that in order for a race to be "completed" you would have to complete the race from start to end, without going to pits (Shift+P) or spectating.
#10 - SamH
Quote from obsolum :I am guessing that in order for a race to be "completed" you would have to complete the race from start to end, without going to pits (Shift+P) or spectating.

Yup. Joining OR REjoining after the race has started puts you out of these point stats for that race.

CTRA GP points...
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG