The online racing simulator
Seat Sport pull out of BTCC
(72 posts, started )
http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1151

Quite shocked to see this so I thought I'd tell the BTCC fans here. (I know there are some, even if the rest of you think they are just crashing numpties .) It will be interesting to see where Plato and Turner end up.

Vauxhall might just have an easy time in the manufacturers championship next year with only one entrant
Cupra Cuo gone too. Can't explain that one, unless they were running at a loss
Makes sense, those cars are far too advanced for the likes of the BTCC anyway. TDi and all. Haha, BTCC is a pointless series it's just talentless, full of wreckers the only thing thats nice to see is an E46 Beemer crashing into a p.o.s Vauxhall. Joy.
Quote from BlueFlame :Makes sense, those cars are far too advanced for the likes of the BTCC anyway.

Advanced?...hmm...how many races did Plato and Turner not finish because of mechanical problems?
Quote from DratsaB :Advanced?...hmm...how many races did Plato and Turner not finish because of mechanical problems?

Aparently Plato can still mathmatically win the title so obviously not enough.
It's actually a shame for Britains highest profile tin-top championship, could be a sign that turbulent times are ahead for BTCC (again).
#7 - 5haz
It seems BTCC's golden period is now offcially over, bring back the early 90's regulations I say!
Hmm.. The Seats always gave me Excitement and Entertainment especially plato's Little Rams Shame to see it go.. but iv gotta say with the cars at the moment i defonatly dont rate them as a good Score, Rather have the 1990's - 2002 Period
Maybe they should Just sell off the new cars and do the BTCC As Good Old Ford RS500'S, Vectra's, Volvos etc.. Shame its already made Classic Touring cars
#10 - 5haz
Its simple, NO aerodynamic devices (it was when Alfa turned up with their fancy aero kits that the rot slowly started to set in), allow lower ride heights and stiffer springs and a more powerful engine, even the early 90's 'buzzboxes' could get to 140mph with a tailwind.

No ballast either, I hate the idea of artificial close racing, great close racing usually comes together by accident.

And not to forget racing on Silverstone's GP circuit again!
Well it is British Touring Cars, They shouldnt add all that boll*ks to the cars.. Make them struggle! We need the Old Men Back in the business!

Whats the point of Adding that aerodynamic Crap.. Look at the Vauxhall at the moment.. The Road car does Not have The Huge Bumper at the front.. Compare the vauxhall with a rs500 and See how much more crap the Vauxhall has got
#12 - 5haz
Well I think the main problem is that the cars have too much grip for the amount of power they have, meaning its easy to get the power down etc, meaning that everyone runs round at the same speed and the only way you can overtake is by ramming the car infront, I think if you were to up the power of BTCC cars, so that it would be harder to get the power down effectively etc, then that creates situations where some drivers carry more speed out of a corner than people infront, and so massively increases the chance of overtaking.

I blame the Super 2000 rules, I think the rules should go back to Supertouring rules.
Yes, because it's perfectly possible to insta-bring back a set of regulations designed for road cars made over ten years ago.

What's needed is a set of rules that use faster base models - Astra VXR, 130i, SEAT Leon 2L Turbo, Ford Focus RS, Impreza WRX (not STI), lowest spec Evo etc. Keep stock engine internals where possible (cost cutting) and keep suspension bone stock. 4WD is become more popular but it should be permitted, but 4WD cars should have to have less aero, narrower tyres or maybe even treaded ones to keep it fair.

Only if the FIA go for those rules as it's best to have WTCC rules for a supply of cars.

EDIT : As far a SEAT Cupra Championship rumour has it that it may be replaced with another VWAG Series - VW Scirocco (they will do a similar series in Germany next year).
#14 - 5haz
Quote from duke_toaster :Yes, because it's perfectly possible to insta-bring back a set of regulations designed for road cars made over ten years ago.

Umm how hard is it to simply have a larger engine and not put a bodykit on?
Er, Supertouring had 2000cc engines just like Super 2000.

Oh, and there's the whole costs issue - cars were reaching £250,000 new near the end of ST and S2K costs are much less.
gotta miss those supertourers,

anyway with seat gone, will this make the fia think about rules again, hopefully they will get rid of hatch backs, and bring back saloon car racing.
#17 - 5haz
Quote from Whitmore :I think BMW were the first with full aero kits (1973 CSL)

On topic I agree its a shame they are pulling out. The BSCC did seem to be on a bit of a return to the glory days of the late 90s, especially with the wet summer livening up a few of the races this year.

Yeah, but I mean in supertouring in the early 90's, nobody had wings until Alfa turned up with a full ITC style bodykit, there was an uproar about it and eventually everyone ended up with full aero aswell.
What was it that had so many manufacturers enter the series in the mid 90's Alfa/audi/ford/renault/nissan/honda/peugeot/vauxhall/toyota all had factory teams. A great period for btcc so what has changed since then?

I forgot volvo\renault etc
Quote from no_one :What was it that had so many manufacturers enter the series in the mid 90's Alfa/audi/ford/renault/nissan/honda/peugeot/vauxhall/toyota all had factory teams. A great period for btcc so what has changed since then?

I forgot volvo\renault etc

You listed Renault twice :P and you forgot Proton! ok maybe they were a bit later, but i agree. Alot of different variation of cars, I remember Rydell in the S40 and Tarquini driving the Honda Accord. Obviously Biela too with Audi Pwnage. Yea, try to weigh the car down eh? Quattro owns.
I think they wanted to pull out before they finished, otherwise they would be stuck with the BTCC when they really want its better looking sister, the WTCC.
Seat have also just pulled out of South African motorsport, announcing this week the withdrawl of their 2 cars in the South African Production Car series.

Wonder how much longer they'll be involved in WTCC
Not long, I think they have done what they wanted and improved their reputation, before they started out in the BTCC I remember people saying the cars broke down all the time and they were poorly made, now they compare them to VW and Ford.

Autosport has said Ford and BMW are in talks about starting works teams in the BTCC, which would be awesome, because we would get the new Ford Mondeo, since traditionally they push the saloon car in touring car racing and the hatchbacks in rallying.
Quote from 5haz :
I blame the Super 2000 rules, I think the rules should go back to Supertouring rules.

I think that they should go to far more restrictive rules, no external bodywork modifications at all, other than adding quick release fasteners, require standard bumpers, mirrors, undersides, glass windows and wheel arches all reducing the cost considerably. Then require a standard road car transmission with only a changed final drive. Engines should be kept pretty standard and ensure that the production engine has a large effect on the race engine. Equally suspension should be kept standard, permitting nothing to be changed except for springs and dampers (which would have to remain in their standard location). Maybe multiple classes, a full race engined 1100cc class, a 2000cc production modified engine class, and a 3500cc class for cars with completely standard engines and a much higher weight limit, balanced so a car from any class could be competitive.

You could even go as far as limiting differentials to modified production units, allow limited slip diffs to be tightened and adjusted but prevent cars which run open diffs from being able to fit an LSD, this would majorly hamper the front wheel drive cars, encouraging some more interesting machinery.

If something like this was done correctly the cost would be hugely reduced the cars would look more relevant to their road counterparts and critically the performance of the cars would be dependent on the road cars on which they are based.
#24 - JJ72
I thought the Supertouring cars looked lame. especially with the small tire size
#25 - 5haz
Id also say no bodykit and standard underfloor, but I would allow custom suspension and lower ride heights, as well as a racing gearbox, but no sequential.

(72 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG