The online racing simulator
how to do a quick(est) shift-up
(18 posts, started )
#1 - ndiw
I saw the XFG wr replay, I notice that the player is shifting extremely quick especially in the clutch, since the first time i play LFS I never be that quick even I use manual clutch (autoclutch off) as most of player do. I use Logitech MOMO. how can I do that with my wheel? and which button in the steering wheel should I use? I even tried the buttons in the steering wheel to gain a 'quick' one by pressing both button, the clutch and shift-up at the same time, but still it was not 'satisfying'.

how do you (fast) guys do it?

thanks
The quickest way to shift is "flat-shift". This means turning off the auto throttle cut (options/player) and then just flooring the throttle when you shift. LFS doesn't currently simulate engine damage so this doesn't hurt the engine - except in LONG races with the turbo cars (at least FXR and XXR). Then the engine gets so called "pop-corn" effect, you'll notice it in a long run.

And as you don't have seperate clutch pedal I think it isn't really necessary to use a clutch. Most of the players use auto clutch.

And when watching replays (or spectating) don't count on what you see on the screen, as the brake/throttle/clutch "telemetry" on the screen isn't 100% accurate because of multiplayer lag.
Manual clutch is an integral part of my LFS'ing now. I've got a MOMO too:I use the stick to shift and the left paddle to clutch Works well for any car that doesn't want the paddles (all demo cars). Single seaters I do use auto clutch and paddles.
#4 - ajp71
Is it a large difference using manual clutch, always used auto clutch myself, also does LFS allow for clutchless changes?
Quote from ajp71 :Is it a large difference using manual clutch, always used auto clutch myself, also does LFS allow for clutchless changes?

You can't shift unless you use the clutch? What are you asking? lol
Quote from xapexcivicx :You can't shift unless you use the clutch? What are you asking? lol

In real life you can shift without the clutch, you just have to match the engine rpm to the tailshaft rpm easy as that LOL
In LFS you can too AFAIK, but you have to match the revs perfectly...

For shifting I am using HAT-switch on my Logitech Driving Force.... worked great until my wheel came too worn-out...
In the BL XF GTi WR Csimpok uses "Button clutch" if you go into driver aid options you turn off auto clutch and thus makes gear changes faster, that's all.
This is widely regarded as bad manners/"teh uber l33t hax!!!111oneone" in "real" racing, however.
#10 - ndiw
Quote from the_angry_angel :This is widely regarded as bad manners/"teh uber l33t hax!!!111oneone" in "real" racing, however.

[off topic]
that's why I hate the "wheel" view for hotlapping, it make Saloon into "Open Wheeler", so we can easily view the tyre position on the road. but I used it anyway
[/off topic]
Quote from the_angry_angel :This is widely regarded as bad manners/"teh uber l33t hax!!!111oneone" in "real" racing, however.

Actually, no... As this technique stressed the material very much and they wouldn't last long if you'd do that, it's just regarded as "dumb"...
My personal preferance is for full manual clutch (an old microsoft wheel/pedals), Sequential shifting (courtesy of the DFPs stick) and no aids at all. It gives full control of the shift.

since the amount of clutch required differs with the rev difference and throttle position, it enables me to make flat(ish) shifts on the straights and more refined shifts in the corners.

It's also handy in RWD cars once the rear lets go to be able to pin the clutch and let the rears freewheel themselves to an acceptable speed, rather than simply letting straight off the gas.

It can be hard to quantify, but there are some advantages to using a manual clutch, and even a button clutch can be usefull sometimes.
I mapped the clutch to a button on my controller right back in S1 days. I tried using the button clutch method for changing gears, but simply didn't like all the extra work in driving the car so hence never use the button manual clutch method to change gears. Now since S2 as far as I know the advantage of using a button clutch is nearly non existant anyway

But I still have a button mapped as the clutch and use it in a few circumstances, e.g. if you stuff the start and you realise you are bogging down abit, a quick tap of the clutch will get the wheels spinning again, preventing it from being a dismal start to being just a slightly below average start Another one is if you are unfortunate enough to get stuck in a sand trap it can help you get out...

P.s. I wasn't in anyway indicating that in real life a race driver would choose to do a clutchless shift well unless they had burnt out their clutch I was just indicating that it is possible
Quote from Bawbag :In the BL XF GTi WR Csimpok uses "Button clutch" if you go into driver aid options you turn off auto clutch and thus makes gear changes faster, that's all.

You mean "macro clutch"? A separate program that basicly takes the control of the clutch with using a button. I've heard some famous and fast drivers drivers use it, I'd say that's cheating. What a crappy drivers if they need to cheat to be fast. Very comparable to some über hax0r configs that are usual in FPS multiplayer games.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from deggis :You mean "macro clutch"? A separate program that basicly takes the control of the clutch with using a button. I've heard some famous and fast drivers drivers use it, I'd say that's cheating. What a crappy drivers if they need to cheat to be fast. Very comparable to some über hax0r configs that are usual in FPS multiplayer games.

I have never used "macro clutch", even "button clutch" only for demo cars at BL tracks; otherwise I use "auto clutch".
either way its lame if you ask me.
Quote from Barroso :either way its lame if you ask me.

I don't ask you.
i didnt ask anybody nothing and i think i still have the right to my own opinion.

(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG