The online racing simulator
Developer Motivation
(46 posts, started )
Comparing iR to LFS is like comparing apples to oranges, sure, they are both fruit, but are very, very, different things.
No, because it's a stupid topic, that has been done to death a million times already.
Yep, every complaint that could be made has been made dozens of times over, and every suggestion of ways that they could increase their rate of development/content production has been suggested several times also.
Nothing has ever changed, ever. If they wanted help, they'd ask for it, if they saw a way to improve the way they work they'd do it.
Quote from danowat :Comparing iR to LFS is like comparing apples to oranges, sure, they are both fruit, but are very, very, different things.

Maybe, but they both compete for the attention of the same group of people. That's the problem that Scavier face.
If Scavier spent as much ADVERTISING as iRacing did, LFS would be more well known, it would have more attention, and it would have more players
Quote from S14 DRIFT :If Scavier spent as much ADVERTISING as iRacing did, LFS would be more well known, it would have more attention, and it would have more players

Devs have said time and time again, they will not advertise LFS untill it's finished.
Lulz. Then they should hurry up and finish it

Personally I'm not hungry for updates, per se. But I would like to know what's going on. Like I said before the devs taking just 15 minutes one evening to write a blog each month of what updates they've been doing, what they've tested, blah blah.

I think that would ease the stress that they're facing from constant pressure from us lot
I disagree, it wouldn't make any difference, all that would happen then is, "The devs said 2 months ago they were doing x, where is x, it shouldn't take this long to do x, blah blah blah".

It's a no win situation for the devs, they are damned if they do, damned if they don't, with LFS and it's development path, you like it, or lump it, simple as.

Luckily, there are plenty of other things to keep you amused should you get fed up with LFS.
Keep on this conversation and he'll hang himself...
Quote from dadge :wrong.
cars have been added. interiors have also been aded. the lfs desktop has been tweaked by the requests of the conmmunity. we're getting another car (we didn't ask for it i know but we have been asking for more real cars).
the list goes on. think of LFS as a wheelbarrow, it's always infront of you

You can list these "font text size reduced" changes or whatever, but these changes won't get back those who have got bored. I'm not sure if even a new car will, more likely new car will bring more new players (financially makes sense) because the experience remains merely the same. New track(s) might if it's really new design. But what could bring players back are physics changes. Think about tyres with some proper engine damage, that would totally change the current physics holes exploiting style of driving, thus even the old tracks would feel fresh because you'd drive them differently.

If S3 is going to cost the same £12, then the devs have ripped off themselves. Cost of iRacing has just put things to a whole new perspective.
It's just calm before the storm, we don't know all the stuff that's in the pipeline. Even if there's no other big improvements in "Scirocco patch" once it comes out, it will have impact on online activity just like FBM had. Most people are just getting impatient waiting for it, but you can't expect Scawen to sit in his coding cave 24/7 until patch is out or his fingers fall off.
Quote from farcar :There is no question about the Scavier's commitment to LFS, but I reckon there are 2 things that desperately need attention for it to hold it's audience: (...)
2/ A game structure to bridge the gap between pickup races and leagues. I sense that a lot of people can't commit to leagues, but get frustrated at the aimless nature of pickup races and the often crappy standards of driving.

The second point in particular I think is what has drawn people from LFS to iRacing. I also think that they would come back pretty quickly if this structure was put in place.

While it won't be an offical developer-supported thing, I think the new version of CTRA (x2) will be able to provide such an environment. Apparently it aims to provide both pick-up racing, league racing and teams within the package. It sounds very promising, I think!
I would be if it wouldnt be so complicated for ppl without a credit card.
The devs are too busy playing iRacing
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I think that would ease the stress that they're facing from constant pressure from us lot

I think the pressure would become even bigger.
I will pay for extra content. Not all the content, but the ones that i like of course.
Quote from major_syphillis : a car that will come in 2010 lol

desktop and interiors are a joke i hope

i would like to know where you get your info from. 2 year for one more car. i don't know about the rest of them, but with numbers like that, i can clearly see your chatting out your arse. what is a joke is that you just blurt out rubbish and then you believe yourself. that in itself is comic relief stuff. please don't talk like you know something when in fact what you're saying shows everyone that you know sweet F.A.

much love ma brotha
For a programmer that actually does post on his own forums Scawen does sometimes take some rather peculiar flakk for "not keeping us informed". He gives quite a lot of forewarning in his own way, and even gives us test patches prior to big updates.

What I think a lot of people don't realise is that sometimes when you are developing you really don't have much to say sometimes. For instance what difference does it matter if the internal memory structure of the way the vertices are arranged for tyre is changed... when what matters to end users is that we got deformable tyres.

Sometimes when you are programming you can get nothing much productive done for 3 weeks even though you worked at it all day every day. Then other times you get 3 weeks work done in a day.

Sometimes when you earn a fair bit of money and have a stable income and an environment that allows it you take time out for a month or two. And sometimes you work like a dog.

Sometimes, there simply isn't anything to say.

But the fact is most games players dont even know the names of the people who wrote their favorite game, let alone speak to them via forum on a regular basis.
Quote from farcar :Maybe, but they both compete for the attention of the same group of people. That's the problem that Scavier face.

I like apples and oranges,maybe if there was a sweeter more full featured apple i wouldn't eat that overpriced orange..
I am rather satisfied/amazed to see what 3 guys have made on their own.
While there may be people leaving and getting bored, this is natural.
I also took quite a break this summer, just for the sake of it.
There is no need to worry about player levels dropping, as it is, again, a natural thing to happen.
When the S2 becomes final, the game will obviously get a lot more coverage than it does now, whenever it may be (and I'm sure in this case, a well established community can help with advertising, reviews, video coverage, whatever).

We just have to face the fact that 3 guys working on a game is not the most efficient way of doing it, but I'm willing to wait for it, while also making brakes, not to grow tired of LFS.

And while pickup racing may have decreased in player numbers, league racing is still very active and very rewarding.

Developer Motivation
(46 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG