The online racing simulator
My ideas.
(7 posts, started )
#1 - Mc21
My ideas.
Black Flag: I am actually not to sure, but it still adds realism.

Tyre puncture: I was watching the old Le Mans on Motors TV when I saw the DBR9 get a puncture. It won't let the car spin, but will slow you down, the other drivers racing maybe when they get near the punctured driver, a warning will come up?

Pit crew: This could be a option that you could turn on and off, if you like seeing the pit crew, sorting out your car ok, but if you don't you could just turn them off, a bit like turning off the visablity of your wheel in the cockpit.

Lap timer LED bar: This could be in GTR cars which has a little bar showing your fastest lap, a bit like the ones of GTR and GTL.

Indicators: Ability to change the control of them!
Aids: The ability to turn on and off the traction control, Anti-Lock Brakes etc...
#2 - evans
If you compare the cars in LFS to the ones they are supposed to be in real life, only some of the GT cars will have ABS (and maybe TC), but none of the heavy artillery will have any of the above.
Also, tyre punctures are possible, it's just not common in race because the only way it can happen is if the tyre gets worn enough. Right now we don't have stuff like dust, rocks and other particles affecting the tyre behaviour, although I would like to see it in the future.
I completely agree about the black flag.
Quote from Mc21 :Black Flag: I am actually not to sure, but it still adds realism.

Tyre puncture: I was watching the old Le Mans on Motors TV when I saw the DBR9 get a puncture. It won't let the car spin, but will slow you down, the other drivers racing maybe when they get near the punctured driver, a warning will come up?

Pit crew: This could be a option that you could turn on and off, if you like seeing the pit crew, sorting out your car ok, but if you don't you could just turn them off, a bit like turning off the visablity of your wheel in the cockpit.

Lap timer LED bar: This could be in GTR cars which has a little bar showing your fastest lap, a bit like the ones of GTR and GTL.

Indicators: Ability to change the control of them!
Aids: The ability to turn on and off the traction control, Anti-Lock Brakes etc...

1. How can the computer fairly proportion blame? I don't think we'll get a realistic black flag in ANY racing game or sim for many years.

2. Punctures should be in yes (they are through wear and heat, but not 'damage' yet), and they SHOULD spin the car if the puncture WOULD spin the car (say a right rear exploding at 170mph).

3. Pitcrew - if it's in the game make it mandatory. None of this 'my PC is 18 years old don't make games better kthxbye' malarky.

4. Better cockpits WILL come. But hopefully they'll be useable and readable, unlike GTR/rF's. Does GTL have readouts? I don't remember GT40's etcetera having digital dashboards...

5. More control bind options would be nice, until then you might have to resort to the profiler software of your controller (which I don't/won't use).

6. Lets not get into a 'should we have aids so that grannies can drive and there's no challenge anymore' discussion here. Suffice to say that if (and not when) aids are implemented then I guess Scawen would have an override or something. I just hope he doesn't stoop that low in the first place. No race series has EVER benefitted from Traction Control, ABS, yaw control etc. In an ideal world it wouldn't exist. In LFS we can have an ideal world, and thus not have it. Whoops, appears I might accidentally start of the conversation anyway. I know, I'll make this text white, so only the gifted few will read it.
#4 - Jakg
im in the gifted few!
Quote from tristancliffe :
4. Better cockpits WILL come. But hopefully they'll be useable and readable, unlike GTR/rF's. Does GTL have readouts? I don't remember GT40's etcetera having digital dashboards...

Yep, they have a small LCD gauge on the dash that displays that info, works very well.

http://img.stern.de/_content/5 ... nds-Screenshot-01_600.jpg
#6 - ajp71
Quote from tristancliffe :3. Pitcrew - if it's in the game make it mandatory. None of this 'my PC is 18 years old don't make games better kthxbye' malarky.

Whilst it would be a nice feature I feel it would be very hard to add any other way than with a pre-animated stop, like the stops in any other sim, seeing people walk around the car then stand still after the animation finishes like in N2003 isn't worth the devs efforts at this stage IMO. As for old computers, why cut the target market because you can't be bothered to make an options page? There are still those left running slow computers which by the sounds of it won't be supported by nK Pro, also think of laptops, a good way to get people into LFS would be to let them see the demo on laptops, but there're still a large number of new laptops that will only just cope with LFS as it is.

Quote : I just hope he doesn't stoop that low in the first place. No race series has EVER benefitted from Traction Control, ABS, yaw control etc. In an ideal world it wouldn't exist. In LFS we can have an ideal world, and thus not have it. Whoops, appears I might accidentally start of the conversation anyway. I know, I'll make this text white, so only the gifted few will read it.

:yawn: For the last time these systems are not about adding whimpish aids to sports cars. Racing ABS systems will make the braking distances shorter and laptimes faster, suprisingly motor racing tends to be about going as fast as you can. I'm not argueing that they should be allowed, I hope we don't see them in LFS or any other sim, however, stop this stupid misconception that you can stop a car quicker than a computer sampling the grip levels and pump the brakes several thousand times a second.

As for TC the systems allow prototypes to be setup to have an extra safety net over 24 hours, you simply could not drive a car setup like a single seater for a 3 hour stint when your already knackered without being extremely cautious on the throttle. Group C cars were setup to be very easy to drive with lots of understeer and very gentle power delivery, with traction control you could set the car up much stiffer and a more aggressive diff without lossing that safety net.
#7 - ajp71
Quote from danowat :Yep, they have a small LCD gauge on the dash that displays that info, works very well.

http://img.stern.de/_content/5 ... nds-Screenshot-01_600.jpg

GTL simulates modern historic racing cars, which are totally different to the period cars, in period a car with a lightly modified 998cc. A Series (Austin A35/Morris Minor/Mini) circa 45 bhp in period becomes a full race engine with over 150 bhp in historic racing. The cars no longer four wheel drift due to advances in tire technology (historic racing tires use modern compounds), suspension setup and massive increases in chassis stiffness, look at Whizzo William's Morris Minor in period, four wheel drifts, no chance of power slides with about 45 bhp, Goodwood Revival 'same' car and driver no four wheel drifts, no body roll massive power slides from about 150 bhp of A series.

How accurately GTL simulates modern historic racing I don't know because I can never feel anything with the floaty physics.

My ideas.
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG