The online racing simulator
Nooooooo indoor, there's less bruising, more speed, and better racing. Indoor is to karting what biplanes are to modern air combat: They're nice n' all, but i'd rather have the fancy jet with extra buttons...
Anglia karting at South Pickenham is outside, and it's just had an extenstion to the track.

I am racing there on 7th September
Hopefully I'd be able to go to a 2009 meet, I was pissed I wasn't allowed go this year...If not 2009, then I'm definitely going 2010
As mentioned earlier we are trying to organise Llandow. A few of the guys mentioned they would like to travel to Wales so that is why we are looking into it. Are we wasting our time?

The track is a good one and the fact that we can camp there is a huge bonus IMO. Also the cost will be fantastic compared to anywhere else I think. We are thinking around £100 each for the track for the whole day, 2 days camping and possibly food and drink (bbq & cans etc). We would also get at least 2 hours track time each. I think this is a bargain! The last karting cost us £60 for 50 minutes karting, £55 for accomodation and another £60 on food & drink, which is £175! and for only 50 minutes of karting compared to what we might be able to offer. Everyone who has been to the track highly recommends it. We also might have entertainment for when the karting finishes on the site, maybe even some live bands etc...

If we are wasting our time let us know, as to organise all this for no reason doesn't make sense....

Also, the fact the karting is very easy to get to and 5 minutes from an international airport is another bonus...
Quote from jasonmatthews :As mentioned earlier we are trying to organise Llandow. A few of the guys mentioned they would like to travel to Wales so that is why we are looking into it. Are we wasting our time?

The track is a good one and the fact that we can camp there is a huge bonus IMO. Also the cost will be fantastic compared to anywhere else I think. We are thinking around £100 each for the track for the whole day, 2 days camping and possibly food and drink (bbq & cans etc). We would also get at least 2 hours track time each. I think this is a bargain! The last karting cost us £60 for 50 minutes karting, £55 for accomodation and another £60 on food & drink, which is £175! and for only 50 minutes of karting compared to what we might be able to offer. Everyone who has been to the track highly recommends it. We also might have entertainment for when the karting finishes on the site, maybe even some live bands etc...

If we are wasting our time let us know, as to organise all this for no reason doesn't make sense....

Also, the fact the karting is very easy to get to and 5 minutes from an international airport is another bonus...

Mate go ahead with it, I personally would love to head to Wales and the idea of camping nearby and having a BBQ and a couple of tins sounds grand. Truthfully I would love to see it travel up to bonnie Scotland one day (anyone for the north of Scotland....Golspie maybe ).

These guys just want something closer because, like many of our fellow Englishmen, find anything outside their borders strange .
Quote from jasonmatthews :As mentioned earlier we are trying to organise Llandow. A few of the guys mentioned they would like to travel to Wales so that is why we are looking into it. Are we wasting our time?

That's only across the bridge for myself, so I could be tempted to drop by at least - all depends on when it is really
I don't think you're wasting your time, Jason, I for one am definitely up for it, £100 or so for that much track time is great!

However, maybe a poll will give you an idea as to what everyone thinks? The question being , should we go to Llandow?

Also maybe start the thread. LFS Karting meet 2009.....has a good ring to it!

Looking forward to it already!

Quote from Mackie The Staggie : Truthfully I would love to see it travel up to bonnie Scotland one day (anyone for the north of Scotland....Golspie maybe ). .

I'd be up for Scotland one day, Mackie. Thermals and spare liver packed and ready

EDIT: Sorry for the double post - I was going to make this apology a seperate post but then realised that would warrant an apology for a triple post, and then that would mean.......
Why not look at doing both?
If the numbers are there for both, and there are people willing to organise each of them, then do both, if not do the most popular one.
As long as the schedule works out, there's the posibility of getting enough people who can do one or the other, or even both of them.

I know for some people the cost will be a big factor in whether they can go or not, but for others it will simply come down to 'when and where'. So if the discussions and 'arrangements' keep going for now untill it gets to the point of actual money being spent, then why not look into more than one option?
Quote from Joe_Keaveney :I'd be up for Scotland one day, Mackie. Thermals and spare liver packed and ready

Need to pass mustard with the locals, other wise its the Wicker man for you all:bananadea

Local MSP, Hamish McDougall, at a recent Highland Gathering.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Need to pass mustard with the locals, other wise its the Wicker man for you all:bananadea

Local MSP, Hamish McDougall, at a recent Highland Gathering.

Is that the Wicker Man? Thought it was the Scottish Assembly in congress
Quote from Joe_Keaveney :Is that the Wicker Man? Thought it was the Scottish Assembly in congress

Thats it, you're the first to go in, I'm sharping the pitchfork as I speak, and gathering an angry mob........and we do angry mobs really well.
If you give people too many options they'll just ooh and err and nothing will happen. Plan every damn last detail, tell people the facts, and see who wants to turn up. Worked this time round. Of course the date will need to go to a poll, but that should be all.

I'd definitely be up for Wales, as I think I'm now the only person to have attended every meet, and I'd like to keep that honour.
sounds like a brilliant idea jas
Oh dont worry Jason there wont be a race happening here, PFI, as good as the facilities are, is a dead boring and expensive track and as is evident lots of people want a race on their local track but nobody around here can be arsed to organise a big event with some of that 'logistics' stuff involved. Infact most of us in this neck of the woods are too busy oiling our webbed feet to actually organise anything.

I'd like to come to the Wales meet. It's a bit more money than I spent on this one (I dished out £100 for the weekend, plus deposit), and I think you know for me it will depend a lot on the final details, i'm not keen on camping - I got rid of my camping gear years ago for reasons relating to why I dont go to Wales much anymore...!
Ok will setup a new thread then

And of course becky, camping is not compulsary. Also, as I said, we should have the track from 9am to 6pm so the price is a huge difference compared to 50 minutes

Edit: Thread started. Please be aware these are very early plans, but better to get this organised as early as possible. http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=47740
Finally got around to writing my race report. I was going to scan my results and post them to, but no-one else has so they will be pointless on their own.

Anyway, the report:

Qualifying:
My practice was spent finding the lines and just getting to grips with the kart. Then after not very long at all (although it was about 12minutes I think) they showed us the green flag which meant "these laps are now being timed". I was able to push and push and managed to link a few decent laps together. Actually, after the qualifying, before I knew my position, I was quite pleased (no body had passed me and I had felt quite quick).

I parked the kart on the second row at the right hand side - I was sure this was in the qualifying position, but was not sure if this was 3rd or 4th - either way, I was happy.

When the grid was announced, I was third, behind Becky (in first) and Thomas (felplacerad) in second. I was pleased - nah delighted, but about 1 second off their pace which was a bit humbling.

Then we got back in and started the race, with a rolling start. This I know I am not good at, because every other time I have tried a rolling start I have been left behind. Anyway, I tried to concentrate and keep well behind Becky. As the lights went green I moved across to the left hand side of the track and was getting down the outside of Becky for the first corner (this can be seen in the picture labelled "On the run down to T1", I am kart number 2) - unfortunately, this did not work as I was passed on the inside instead by kart number 17 (Victor I think).

Now this is where it gets somewhat confusing - At the end of lap 1, I was fourth - I knew this because I had been overtaken at the start. At the end of the first lap, due to some drama, kart number 15 (Jason) was in front of us all and was overtaken by Thomas soon after. Then Becky tried to follow but somewhere spun and lost a lot of time (which she later made up brilliantly, I might add). So after Becky's spin, I was third.

The next few laps (10 or 15 I think) were nice, I was trying to catch Jason, but couldn't. There were times I was sliding on the water and one corner was getting slippier and slippier for the line I was taking. On one lap, a kart (no idea who) spun in front of me and I had to take quick avoiding action across the kerb. This was fun actually, and I was glad I had escaped. It lost me a lot of time to Jason who I was chasing.

Soon I saw Becky catching me up - and I knew it was her due to her overalls. She caught me and finally overtook me at the end of the back straight into the hairpin. I then followed her very closely and amazed myself by not letter her get too far in front of me. In fact, on the first part of the track, I was faster. The second half was all hers though. Anyway, I kept quite close and then we came up to the back of a back marker (I won't name names but she was the slowest out there ). We had just gone through the slippery chicane and as we headed down towards the hairpin, Becky went to the left and I went to the right. It was quite amazing, and even more so for me as I came out of the hairpin in front and then just about managed to stay in front of Becky all the way to the chequered flag (which was only about 5 laps if I remember correctly).

Now, at this point, I was thinking, I must be third at the most, maybe even second - I had lost sight of those in front of me but there had been some spinners, and I wasn't sure who was who. Secretly, I was hoping for third.

Anyway, when the results were announced, I was fourth and Jason had taken third spot. Now I don't want to take anything away from Jason, but something wierd happened at the start and I think the centre had allowed him to take the place. I really don't mind (as the whole day was loads of fun) but I did want to point it out.

Finally, thanks once again to Ben for organising it - your efforts are greatly appreciated and thanks to everyone for making it so enjoyable and fun. I was pleased to meet Thomas and Victor and Becky and Joe, and good to see all those again from previous years (Ben, Ian, need, nihil).

See you all (hopefully) next year!

Tim
heh ok i'll write up my race too.

I was dead nervous of meeting everyone, and dead nervous about what would happen on track coz I know I draw attention and my race experience 'should' mean i'm fast but i'd not raced in several years.

I was delighted in practice to find I was passing lots of karts, but I did have a wee spin on a corner after a puddle in practice (left hander after the first braking zone). The track surface was cold in qualifying, low grip is my forte. After getting out of the kart I had no idea I was in pole for quite a while but I was happy I was putting in a good performance.

In the warmup lap I was dead crafty making sure Thomas went through all the puddles whilst I went through none, which resulted in some odd pace on the lap (now you know why hehe), but the lights turned green very early and I was checking the field spread (looking over my shoulder) as the race started so I lost the jump and slipped to third in the opening corners.

The track felt warmer and there was more grip in the race, I knew that the lap times where going to tumble and i'd have to find some more speed.

We seemed to catch a backmarker really fast, I guess somebody had had problems, the backmarker was slower than us leaders and we swabbled for position as a result whilst we where held up.

On the third lap, I think with the backmarker still there (not 100% sure) after going through a puddle to avoid Victor who made a slow exit on T3 (I thought he was going to spin at first) I then spun at the next corner going too fast for wet tyres. My own mistake totally, but made a lot worse as the field was still bunched up and I had to wait to rejoin. Infact my rejoin was a lil' bit shall we say "non-CTRA compliant".

I knew then I was in for a recovery drive and the podium was gone unless I made up placed damned fast, so I knuckled in for some overtaking - but here is both a great and frustrating thing... The quality of race craft was really high! I had to really fight to pass people and line people up for the pass, it wasn't like practice where I just flew by at all, everyone made me work for it.

It was tonnes of fun, I havn't raced against quality opponents like that in a very long time. Everyone I passed was racing superbly and I really enjoyed the fights.

Tim was the last person I caught and we had a long battle. I was so much faster round the second part of the lap, but lost a bit of time in the corner where I had spun as I was being overtly cautious. I did get past him and started to pull away (although he was faster than when I was following him), I realised I had no-one else to pass within reach so settled into a low risk rhythm for the end of the race, but then we caught a backmarker.

It was going into the chicane on the back straight where I was much faster than most people, I caught her up so fast in the chicane that I was taken by suprise and had to brake heavily and lost all my mommentum for the exit, she exited in the middle of the track and I wanted to go right but Tim had gotten the front of his kart infront of my rear wheels. It was a very long "split second" decision I made as I so wanted to close the door and did try too, but I didn't want the accident so in the end opted to go left knowing i'd lost the position and would have to repass him.

I wanted to make a quick repass and had a go, but the attempt was week and I had to rally for another go, I think I was still quicker over a lap but he'd upped his game and the chequered flag fell before I got the place back.

It was a brilliant battle and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved the whole race I had a wicked time and the battles for position where all hugely enjoyable.
I'm just glad people had a good time. With four spins in the first half of the race, and generally being a second a lap off the pace of the mid fielders, I wasn't having much in the way of battles, but just had fun being in a kart again.

Until next time...
I just remembered another photo I took, some time after the karting had finished. It wasn't taken with my usual camera, as my phone was the only thing I had with me. However, please admire... Ben's throne!
Attached images
24082008010.jpg
Quote from STROBE :I just remembered another photo I took, some time after the karting had finished. It wasn't taken with my usual camera, as my phone was the only thing I had with me. However, please admire... Ben's throne!

I hate one of those made entirely of guinness cans, till one day, I tripped, landed badly on it, and it cut me to shreds. Good work though!

I don't suppose any of your lot will be at Daytona Sandown friday night? They've got shiny new rotax jobbies which promise a bit more buzz in your right boot....

and of course, that spectacular part of the natural landscape which somehow always puts a dribble of water across the braking zone for the first corner, which happens to be maximum speed. 3 laps turning in without lifting off, lap number four, suddenly I'm mowing the lawn just off that red 'n white business with all the opposite lock in the world and a heckuva lean on begging rental tires to buck the "mid-crash" trend and bite.
Quote from MijnWraak :I would love to fly out there from the states and have a go at karting but i'd definately need to get a job first :P

Or see if there's enough LFS'ers to do Kart meet in your state. I was thinking about that.
Looks like you had a good time.
But people in their own race suits? Its bad enough seeing people decked out in racing gear a trackdays...
Quote from horrgakx :
Its bad enough seeing people decked out in racing gear a trackdays...

You mean "all the gear and no idea"?

Galling though it might be to see someone spending money and still at the back of the pack... (a) its really none of your business how people choose to spend their money, and (b) Becky was the only one in her own suit and she has a great deal of experience and was really quite fast indeed.
Quote : But people in their own race suits? Its bad enough seeing people decked out in racing gear a trackdays...

I can't help having the gear, regulations of my previous racing required it. Given the choice of my undies rubbing against a suit worn by some bloke swetting his nadgers off, and my own clothes, i'll take my own clothes any day

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG