The online racing simulator
City Advert skins, JPEG + DDS
Hi all, I am enquiring about how to adjust the advert signs on the billboards and walls of south city, Fern Bay, Blackwood and autocross. For our movie Live for Speed: Collateral Collision (trailer), my colleage StartWars and I were wondering which files they were. We have the necessary programs to adjust the dds and jpeg images.

Can anyone assist us by pointing out which files need to be adjusted? In particular - any Billboard signs/adverts, barrier/wall advert signs, PIT signs, and the red and blue striped things on the wall (we dont know what they are called :shrug. You get the idea, in essensce we are trying to create a realistic enviroment without the racing attributes.

We have however edited a few things successfully, namely the JPEG's SO_ADS1, SO_ADS2 and SO_ADS3 from the pic folder, which did change some things in the city, although not all. We did try to look through the dds folder for the remaining signs, but ovewriting the dds file did not work.

Can anyone advise us further what we should be looking for? (or what we are doing wrong)

Thankyou and Best Regards

Unknownrisks + StartWars
#2 - Gunn
LFS/data/dds/

CTY_barrier1.dds
CTY_flags1.dds
CTY_logos.dds
CTY_logos2.dds
CTY_signs2.dds
CTYmarkers2.dds

You will need a program capable of editing dds files, and a dds viewer would also help you to identify each file and which graphics it contains.

Check this thread thoroughly for more details.
Thanks for the reply, but a problem I have now found is that modifying some adverts edit both the billboard and the barrier of that advert - seeing a plain barrier texture on a billboard advertisement obviously isn't right. Is there a way to amend this?
#4 - Gunn
Quote from Start Wars :Thanks for the reply, but a problem I have now found is that modifying some adverts edit both the billboard and the barrier of that advert - seeing a plain barrier texture on a billboard advertisement obviously isn't right. Is there a way to amend this?

Not really. Most of the add textures are mapped to more than one location (I'll refer to these as "multi-mapped ads") and unfortunately the various locations may not even be the same dimensions and stretching can ruin the proportions of your custom artwork. The plus side of using textures in multiple places is that it is less resource-intensive.

I have made a detailed suggestion in to Eric in the past that outlined some of the problems and inconsistencies with the current sign and billboard mappings. I hope that in LFS at some time in the future:

- Multi-mapped ads are mapped to objects of a similar aspect ratio so that the ads won't stretch in some locations. This would also expand the type of graphics that would work well on a custom billboard or sign .... almost any artwork could then be used to good effect.

- Fewer ads on each dds file, but one or two more dds files for just a little more flexibility in custom ad placement. Maybe a strategic re-think about which alternative locations individual ads are mapped to.

From the point of view of being able to customise LFS texturally, the few above considerations would really make a difference.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG