The online racing simulator
#1 - Mech
really annoying problem with track ir
So I have track ir pretty much just so I can see the other cars around me. The only problem I have is is will only let me look 90 degrees left or right... I can not look over my shoulder with is a real issue. Can anyone tell me how to let it look more than 90 degrees? Thanks
#2 - CSU1
LOL.

Mirrors?
You can't, it can be kind of annoying in situations where you are backing up, but I use the mirrors anyways... Bind a button to the rear look, and use that.
press the R key, you can look outta the back window, if that helps you.
#5 - CSU1
When you learn to keep eyeballs centered on screen and look over your shoulder; only then will you master the Trak-Ir

:Eyecrazy:
Yeah it should let you look out the rear seat windows but doesnt. Try an old patch and see if it recently got changed by the one button looks X degrees and both buttons go left/right.
#7 - RomD
If you have a triple screen setup with SoftTH you get a slightly bigger angle.
Attached images
softth.jpg
Quote from MijnWraak :Yeah it should let you look out the rear seat windows but doesnt. Try an old patch and see if it recently got changed by the one button looks X degrees and both buttons go left/right.

Yes that was precisely when it changed...
#9 - Mech
Thanks for the replys. I guess I will just get used to not looking out the rear windows. Maybe they will make it more realistic sometime. And the trackir really only takes about a half hour to master, and considering ive had it for 4 years I think I am doing ok . Thanks
It used to be possible to look all the way around to the back, using track-ir, but a recent patch limited the view rotation to 90deg.

I liked it better, the previous way, but the new way is alleged to be "more realistic." I just find it to be more inconvenient (and indeed, "really annoying"), since the mirrors do not provide enough of a view to allow useful driving in reverse - which is an especially significant problem when one is stuck in a narrow area between barriers.

I vote that it should be restored to the previous way; some compromises in "realism" are appropriate in recognition of the limitations of a computer simulation. And "realistically," peripheral vision would allow a view to the back, even if restraints prevented one's head from turning more than 90deg. Furthermore, I am more interested in being able to drive the car properly, than in being excessively "realistic."

Further-furthermore, a button to present a rear view, isn't "realistic," either - I'd rather be able to turn my head, using track-ir.

I would add that the limitation of view rotation, to 90deg., has been the single exception to a generalization that each patch has made LFS better.
If you are strapped in a racing seat with a 4-6 point harness you would have to be some sort of contortionist in order to look over your shoulder, especially is you have something like in the GTR class cars.
Attached images
BSEAT-K-B-FC.jpg
#12 - CSU1
this would make it that little more difficult too
Quote from CSU1 :this would make it that little more difficult too

Yeah I was looking for that but I couldn't find it.
Quote from legoflamb :If you are strapped in a racing seat with a 4-6 point harness you would have to be some sort of contortionist in order to look over your shoulder, especially is you have something like in the GTR class cars.

100% with you there mate! Even in a standard road car seat, with 5 point belts done up tight, neck collar and helmet on, you wouldnt be able to turn at all. When i raced an old mk3 fiesta at a banger racing meeting in real life i had a big lorry mirror (with clear sticky back plastic wrapped around it for safety) bolted inside the car through the roof on the passenger side of the car and i could barely see into it as it was fitted when i was not strapped in. Once belted up with all my safety gear on, i had to literally strain my neck against the belts and collar to even catch a glimpse into the mirror. If i tried my hardest i could just about turn my head the other way enough to look at the drivers side front roof pillar without moving my eyes.
Sorry for the massive bump, but I'd like to bring this problem to knowledge again. Before we got the 45/90 degree button view option in LFS, it was possible to look around nearly 180 degrees with TrackIR, now it doesn't seem to be possible anymore. Why not?

It shouldn't be limited in the street cars atleast, I always look around more than 90 degrees to my sides in real life when I'm switching lanes to see that there aren't any cars in the blind spot of the side mirrors. This same should apply in LFS while racing.
Quote from Matrixi :Sorry for the massive bump, but I'd like to bring this problem to knowledge again. Before we got the 45/90 degree button view option in LFS, it was possible to look around nearly 180 degrees with TrackIR, now it doesn't seem to be possible anymore. Why not?

It shouldn't be limited in the street cars atleast, I always look around more than 90 degrees to my sides in real life when I'm switching lanes to see that there aren't any cars in the blind spot of the side mirrors. This same should apply in LFS while racing.

Ever been on track? Strapped in a 4 or 5 point harness with a helmet you just can't see behind you. Simple as that.
.. And you ever used a TIR?

If you start being that picky about it, then we need a 2D helmet overlay mask too. The sides of a helmet limit visibility after all..

It wrecks the immersion when you look quickly to either side and the view suddenly slams in to a full stop. Feels and looks very awkward.
I use the TIR for driving, yes.

It's the way the sim is designed, it's a feature, not a bug. Nothing we can do about it, and I was trying to give you a reason behind the decision to make it like this. Don't bite my head off...
Not biting your head off here, I just find trying to think of reasons for so called "features" of LFS issues/lackings/problems being somewhat strange. A 5-point harness doesn't limit the amount of how much your head turns, neither does wearing a helmet presuming you don't have a full racing bucket seat (LFS street cars don't) with upper supports.

The sides of the helmet interior are the only thing that mask the visibility to your sides, that isn't the case with LFS since the limiting factor is how much your head turns in it. Therefore this is a valid issue, which only came out after the 45/90 degree button view update. Was this intentional or did Scawen just accidentally forget what would also happen with TIR users when they try to look around?
The harness won't limit your head movement, but your shoulders can't move much at all. Try it and see ho much you can turn your head without moving your shoulders. Add the fact that you helmet is hitting the headrest on your seat, and you're pretty limited....

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG