The online racing simulator
cpu/graphics card question
(9 posts, started )
Im running an amd XP 3200+, 1 gig of ram and an agp geforce4 mx 440. Im getting bad fps 32-15 depending on the amount of cars on screen. Would a new video card boost my FPS? Is my processor holding me back? By a new video card i mean a cheap fix until i build a new system.
to see if it is the athlon that is the problem, disable vertical sync (options), drop the resolution to 640x480, disable AA (just in case) and see how high the fps go if you have lots of cars on track.

the xp3200 is adequate for lfs. the mx440 not so.
Its obviously the mx440.
Actually, i have a worse CPU and just a better graphics card. Same memory.
ok we're getting philosophical here...

Quote from CheckEngineLight :Im running an amd XP 3200+, 1 gig of ram and an agp geforce4 mx 440. Im getting bad fps 32-15 depending on the amount of cars on screen. Would a new video card boost my FPS? Is my processor holding me back? By a new video card i mean a cheap fix until i build a new system.

yes, it most probably would.

cheap fix, you can get an ati 3650. rather cheap, hell of a lot faster. (make sure it's agp)
Yes the CPU is fine. My athlon 64 3700+ runs fine for lfs

I won't recommend a GPU because frankly im probably going to be wrong
Quote from george_tsiros :do you know the settings he is running the game?

when i was running my mx440 i had all LOD turned off, all shadows and AA all the way down, all the other detail settings as low as possible, sky textures off and vertical sync disabled. Even with those setting i would nearly always be down to 4 or 5 fps if not lower at busy times, T1 etc.. The best i could ever get with a really clear track was about 18-20 fps.
i was playing serious sam on a geFARCE 2. it mattered a lot if i was at 32bit or 16bit.

anyway

graphics cards are very cheap these days and LFS plays with any card now.

(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG