The online racing simulator
Jumbled Text
(12 posts, started )
Jumbled Text
What's with the jumbled text (see attached)? Also, in image #2, the road texture is off. What might be causing this and what might be the fix?

I haven't installed anything new or changed any settings. I installed patch Z to see if it corrected the problem, but with no change. I have no clue what is causing this, especially since I haven't intentionally changed anything.

Any ideas?

Edit: It looks like this is happening with all the non-static objects. The track side advertising is jumbled, but the braking distance signs are not.
Attached images
LFSJumbledText.JPG
LFSJumbledText2.JPG
That's your graphics card.

Did you install new graphics drivers recently, or change any video settings? It could be overheating. Did you move your PC recently? Has it been especially hot lately? What's the ambient temperature in your PC room? When's the last time you've cleared the dust from it? Is your graphics card's fan spinning, or is it jammed with dust?
try reinstalling lfs
Quote from Lateralus :That's your graphics card.

Quote :Did you install new graphics drivers recently, or change any video settings?

Nope.

Quote :Did you move your PC recently? Has it been especially hot lately? What's the ambient temperature in your PC room?

No, nope, about 73-75 DegF.

Quote :When's the last time you've cleared the dust from it? Is your graphics card's fan spinning, or is it jammed with dust?

Been several months since last cleaning. Card doesn't have a fan (Radeon 9200).

I'm upgrading to the latest drivers and software for the video card. I have noticed the screen color changing. but I figured that was the monitor going bad (edit: I still think its a monitor issue because the color is off differently in different parts of the screen). The problem with LFS occurred a couple weeks after the screen color issue.

I'll see what the driver/software updates do.
as much as i hate to say it mate, you are displaying classic signs of a dying or if not dead graphics card. It would be worth reinstalling the newest drivers just incase. I wish you the best of luck and i hope it is a driver problem instead as i know what its like when cards die on ya (i once had to run lfs on an old nvidia mx440 when my old radeon card packed up, which was rubbish) Hope you get it sorted!
i really don't know if it is the card dying...

only font rendering seems to be problematic. and things that have to do with 2d anyway.

have you seen any problems in other games?

i don't think the card is at fault, but i wouldn't be surprised if in the end it is
The general consensus (here and over at S3R) is a video card that is only just barely clinging to life. As such, I've ordered a new card from NewEgg. It pains me to do so since the computer itself is almost 6 years old. But, a new PC is not in the works for at least a couple months, so...

tsiros, the problem also shows up on the race track, billboards, and yesterday I notice some of the trees not rendering correctly. So, it isn't limited to fonts.

Once I get the new card installed I'll let everyone know what happens.

Thanks for the input!
I'm sure you'll be happy with a new card, but you really should make absolutely sure that it's the problem before you spend money. Put it in another PC, specifically.
Quote from Lateralus :I'm sure you'll be happy with a new card, but you really should make absolutely sure that it's the problem before you spend money.

I don't have a clue what else it could be. I've played with the Catalyst settings. Reinstalled LFS. Changed XP graphics settings. Nothing new had been installed and no system configuration changes made any time recently. The problem doesn't coincide with anything that I'm aware of. I have started to notice some other graphics "quirks" starting to appear, though.

In any case, the card has shipped. So, we'll see.

Quote :Put it in another PC, specifically.

That's a good idea, but I don't have access to another PC for test.
Ding, ding, ding!!! And we have a winner.

Popped in a Sapphire Radeon X1650 and graphics problems are history. LFS looks better than I've ever seen it running on my machine.

However, I lost audio and force feedback. :doh: Audio card no longer works, but on-board audio does. Problem is the on-board audio microphone doesn;t work, so no teamspeak.

On the Momo FF front, I've not a clue. Any suggestions (other than the obvious, reloading drivers and whatnot)?

Edit: Ok, FF is working again.

But, still no audio. I know its a driver issue, but XP can't seem to figure out what driver to load for it. Plus, its a hand-me-down so I have no disks or part number info. I moved the audio card from one slot to another to give the graphics card some breathing room. XP sees that there is something in that bottom slot, and knows that it is an audio device, but can't do anything with it.
I have recently downloaded a program called pc wizard 2008. It tells me what my pc is doing, temperatures, speeds, etc... But more importantly, useful hardware info (much more in depth than xp system info) It lists every piece of hardware i have including the make and model, and on some parts even the serial number. I would get that and then google the card model and you should find some drivers to reload and hopefully fix it.
Quote from danthebangerboy :I have recently downloaded a program called pc wizard 2008. It tells me what my pc is doing, temperatures, speeds, etc... But more importantly, useful hardware info (much more in depth than xp system info) It lists every piece of hardware i have including the make and model, and on some parts even the serial number. I would get that and then google the card model and you should find some drivers to reload and hopefully fix it.

Bizarre. Wizard didn't find the sound card. It did find the on-board audio, though. Looks like my PC is dying, one component at a time.

Jumbled Text
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG