The online racing simulator
Lets Rice Ma Car, y0!
(682 posts, started )
Quote from STROBE :...and send you an extra fine for having a non-standard numberplate, I suspect.

And perverting the course of justice
Bosch wiper blades are usually pretty good.

Don't change headlights, wheels, lights or anything. Don't add foglights (though adding driving lights that ONLY come on with main beam is useful and avoids you looking like a cock with his foglights on on a sunny day). Bodykits are a no no unless you are a lemon. Lowering kits are also only for lemons. Don't waste money on special rubber - normal, cheap runner will give you 98% of the performance (and way more than you could ever use on the road without actually being a lemon) but for about 5% of the cost.

Air and Oil filters are pretty much free - Halfords pattern parts are fine. With oil filters the really cheap ones lack internal valves that are important.
Hey there's nothing wrong with having a naff first car.

I had a Fiat 126 as my first car and it remains the only car I ever pulled and got action with, which was difficult because i'm not short, and she wasnt skinny!

She said it showed I had character.
See, "cheap" and "quality" don't go together all that well. So I have little doubt you could "upgrade" bits of the car on the cheap, but how long it'll run or how much you'll actually benefit from it is a matter for debate.

I've not got my car yet (and to be honest I'm not even sure what I'm going to get yet), but I'm thinking that the wheels will be the only thing I want to change (hence the reason I suggested the same here). Shorter stopping distance = good. More grip in the rain = good. Alloys mean less weight = good.
Lighter wheels are only good if you alter the damping and springing to suit. Nobody does, because "it's too hard".
#31 - Jakg
My advice would be to leave everything stock. Better save up your money for eventual repairs.

And about aftermarket air filters...

They will change the sound a little maybe. Which is what most people mistake for a performance increase. Usually, you don't get any better performance at all. The airflow might improve a little (very little), which gives you maybe an additional 0.0005 horsepower.

There's a guy who tested several aftermarket filters on his miata...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm
RainX is the thing people can't recall the name of.
There will be some Bosch Aerotwin wipers that retrofit as well...these are far better than the normal type.

If it needs tyres, then spend a little on something better than generic ditchfinders. You don't need a super duper performance tyre, but a decent brand will be better than some shonky one.

First 'mods' ?
Replace factory speakers and fit a decent head unit.
Aftermarket intakes DO increase horsepower.
Admittedly, its not all that much, but for the price you can't expect much.
It doesn't really add anything other than a sucking noise below 100kph, but you can definatly notice that it WILL pull harder as it can suck in more air and isn't getting starved.

But i don't think your car will even reach 100kph without falling apart.

Quote from jibber :
There's a guy who tested several aftermarket filters on his miata...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

The problem with this, is he's still using the stock system.
Theres no point upgrading to a better flowing filter, when the actual intake pipe or box its in is the bit thats restrictive.

My brother hacked the front of his airbox off, exposing the filter itself which is a common mod amongst the toyota soarer's
It did increase performance, and all it cost him was a $2 hack saw

I've got a $250 Apexi power intake right here sitting there ready to be bolted on.

Along with a dyno day & tune on the 6th of september to see if theres any change in HP between the stock system and a aftermarket system.
i think the only upgrade you should do is like little stuff. for instance that air intake/filter is a really good upgrade since it also helps gas mileage. but other stuff u can do is repaint the whole car and make it look somewhat new agian. then u can always sell it for more when u want something else
Sports airfilter for better air intake and a good decent muffler not to loud or faaarrttt pop pop faaart....
#37 - Jakg
Quote from Klutch :But i don't think your car will even reach 100kph without falling apart.

It'll do 80 mph at least in the hands of a careful lady driver (i haven't driven it yet)

EDIT - iirc the top speed is something rubbish like 108 mph, though, it only has 80-ish bhp.
Quote from Klutch :Aftermarket intakes DO increase horsepower.
Admittedly, its not all that much, but for the price you can't expect much.
It doesn't really add anything other than a sucking noise below 100kph, but you can definatly notice that it WILL pull harder as it can suck in more air and isn't getting starved.

But i don't think your car will even reach 100kph without falling apart.

This is a topic which has been discussed over and over on all kind of car forums. Some people say it does give you extra horsepower, some people say it doesn't.

Of course all the aftermarket filter companies say it does increase power (how would they sell them otherwise?).

Usually it does give you a little better engine responsivness to the throttle pedal (because of better airflow).

The point is, there have been people who did a dyno test with and without aftermarket filters. And in 99% of the cases, the power increase was NONE, to barely noticeable in best cases.

What does increase with aftermarket airfilters however, is the amount of dirt that makes it into your engine.
I agree with Jibber. Most aftermarket airfilters are designed to confuse the lemons I referred to into THINKING they have more power, when actually they just have more noise and a slightly quicker throttle response.

Aftermarket exhausts are, for the same reason, an utter waste of money until you do pretty serious engine modifications. Even then the benefits of the exhaust alone are slim.

Repainting the car to make a profit will require such a lousy standard of work that it's not very polite. It might look good for a week or two, but within a year it will look like it's 20 years old. A good respray ALWAYS costs good money, and as such cannot be used to make a profit. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either a painter (and can do quality work for zero labour in their evenings) or a liar.
I can 100% gaurentee you that they WILL add to some performance, even if its a little.

And with performance, comes sacrfices.
You're replacing your intake box with a straight filter, meaning alot more air is going to get into it, and alot more dirt particles.

Most people never have a problem with it, and if you service it when you're suppose to the engine with last fine.

Tristancliffe: $20 air filters from say...repco, will probably do shit all. Proper setup's will add performance.

It depends on the car itself with an exhaust system, Soarer's are twin turbo's with a VERY small exhaust, MASSIVE power can be gained from upgrading to less restrictive dump pipes, to a bigger down pipe+high flow cat+cat back exhaust

can probably gain around 25-30KW on a soarer with a good quality exhaust system.
but as i said, it depends on the car itself
i doubt you would get even close to that ammount on a proton..
Universal Airfilter which will also change the sound of the engine a bit.

The muffler isnt really necessary.

btw, Even if it really gives some horsepowers you still cant feel it pulling faster.
you guys are such anti rice :sadbanana what wrong with making the car look a little better? Fit some decent rims! (and/or buy another car <.>) Seems like you guys wants to make cars more ugly
Quote from Takumi_lfs :Universal Airfilter which will also change the sound of the engine a bit.

The muffler isnt really necessary.

btw, Even if it really gives some horsepowers you still cant feel it pulling faster.

Yeah, thats the type of filter i'm talking about.

It'll do absolutely nothing.
Heed the advice and save up for repairs and maintenance. A simple squealing noise when braking my car made added up to an unexpected 700 Euros of repairs (admitedly, 200 were to fix my broken speedometer). Then I need at least 50 Euros per week for fuel (at 6.5 l/km), so even without the 750 Euros per annum for taxes and isurance, running a car is expensive.

If you want to improve the performance, strip it clean of uneccessary weight like carpets, back seat, door panels etc. That can be done for free and can make your car 300 pounds lighter. On a positive sidenote, you don't look like a twat in your car, aslong as you don't let anybody get inside it. So just on case throw out the passenger seat too.

Quote from Smurfen :you guys are such anti rice what wrong with making the car look a little better?

Well, looking "better" depends on your point of view. I for one would define your "better" as "rediculous". And it's "wheels", not "rims". Also, for a starter driver I don't recommend alloys as they are very prone to bend when you hit a curb.
Quote :It depends on the car itself with an exhaust system, Soarer's are twin turbo's with a VERY small exhaust, MASSIVE power can be gained from upgrading to less restrictive dump pipes, to a bigger down pipe+high flow cat+cat back exhaust

If the people who designed your engine/car didnt know how to calculate what size exhaust the engine needed, i'd suggest getting a car made by somebody who can design a car.

If the exhaust is too restrictive you will increase back pressure and lower top end speed, but gain acceleration. If the exhaust is not restrictive enough you will gain top end speed and loose acceleration.

The boy rice racer trend for fitting larger exhausts on the grounds they make the car sound more throaty and therefore be adding power, probably detecting HP increases on the grounds that the previous exhaust was 18 years old, therefor reduces acceleration away from the line - the very time they're trying to act like the biggest **** this side of the Whitehouse front door.
Quote from Klutch :I can 100% gaurentee you that they WILL add to some performance, even if its a little.

And with performance, comes sacrfices.
You're replacing your intake box with a straight filter, meaning alot more air is going to get into it, and alot more dirt particles.

Most people never have a problem with it, and if you service it when you're suppose to the engine with last fine.

Tristancliffe: $20 air filters from say...repco, will probably do shit all. Proper setup's will add performance.

It depends on the car itself with an exhaust system, Soarer's are twin turbo's with a VERY small exhaust, MASSIVE power can be gained from upgrading to less restrictive dump pipes, to a bigger down pipe+high flow cat+cat back exhaust

can probably gain around 25-30KW on a soarer with a good quality exhaust system.
but as i said, it depends on the car itself
i doubt you would get even close to that ammount on a proton..

We're not talking about induction kits, but replacement filters for the standard airbox.

Induction kits and/or cold-air kits have been shown to add small amounts of power (1-2hp) on standard engines, but are best used when other engine mods mean the engine needs slightly more breathing potential.

Ditching the stanard airbox can also cause large 'holes' in torque curves that, ultimately, make you slower even if the headline power figures increase.

Oh, and ignore (or have shot) anyone who calls wheels 'rims'.

Edit: Good point Becky - the standard exhaust systems on cars are optimised in certain ways. On a Supra I'd imagine that noise wasn't a primary concern, but driveability. This is VASTLY more important on the road AND on the track than a single peak power figure that ricers think about.
Quote from Becky Rose :If the people who designed your engine/car didnt know how to calculate what size exhaust the engine needed, i'd suggest getting a car made by somebody who can design a car.

If the exhaust is too restrictive you will increase back pressure and lower top end speed, but gain acceleration. If the exhaust is not restrictive enough you will gain top end speed and loose acceleration.

The boy rice racer trend for fitting larger exhausts on the grounds they make the car sound more throaty and therefore be adding power, probably detecting HP increases on the grounds that the previous exhaust was 18 years old, therefor reduces acceleration away from the line - the very time they're trying to act like the biggest **** this side of the Whitehouse front door.

uh...

Smaller exhausts reduce sound and emissions.

Believe me, the japanese can design cars.
the stock system is full 2.25"
my brothers is a 2.5l twin turbo 6cl, it goes from

DUmp pipes, 3" downpipe, high flow cat, splits into twin 2.5"s into two resonators and then into mufflers.

Its quiet on idle and cruising, but then opens up under WOT

it DOES increase performance, head on over to soarercentral.com, read around and have a look at dyno sheets from before and after

Quote from tristancliffe :We're not talking about induction kits, but replacement filters for the standard airbox.

Induction kits and/or cold-air kits have been shown to add small amounts of power (1-2hp) on standard engines, but are best used when other engine mods mean the engine needs slightly more breathing potential.

Ditching the stanard airbox can also cause large 'holes' in torque curves that, ultimately, make you slower even if the headline power figures increase.

Oh, and ignore (or have shot) anyone who calls wheels 'rims'.

In that case, i 110% agree with you.
replacement filters do absolustely nothing, and if anything don't filter as good.
As there appears to be confusion in this thread, here is a picture of a rim

On a slightly off-topic but sort of related note, a few months ago I was walking to the gym and crossed over a traffic-light controlled junction. Shortly after crossing, a police Volvo approached with siren and lights on, and as soon as it cleared the junction the driver floored it. The back end of the car squatted down like you rarely see production cars do, and the induction roar nearly drowned out the siren. It sounded as though it would suck up shopping trolleys, small children, and anything else that strays into it's path.

What kind of engineering and modifications are required to have that kind of effect?
For the people that don't believe me.

http://img84.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dyno1wc7.jpg
This is my brothers dyno sheet from a few weeks ago (Registration+full name blanked out)

Mods are as followed

Full exhaust
Opened up intake
Front mount intercooler
Un-tuned aftermarket piggyback ECU

MOST of the stock soarer's are getting around 150RWKW
my brothers put out 280rwhp with those mods, UN-TUNED, which is around 214RWKW

Pont being? modifcations that have been done CORRECTLY do add power, cheap "aftermarket" filters, and cannon exhausts do not add power

the dyno sheet is proof, and there are no spikes in it either
its a nice smooth power curve, and its still running very rich, and not leaning out
getting it tuned on sept 6 and it should hit 300HP with the new intake system on

Quote from STROBE :On a slightly off-topic but sort of related note, a few months ago I was walking to the gym and crossed over a traffic-light controlled junction. Shortly after crossing, a police Volvo approached with siren and lights on, and as soon as it cleared the junction the driver floored it. The back end of the car squatted down like you rarely see production cars do, and the induction roar nearly drowned out the siren. It sounded as though it would suck up shopping trolleys, small children, and anything else that strays into it's path.

What kind of engineering and modifications are required to have that kind of effect?

its either a combination of the following

An extremely large single turbo (Possibly with a screamer pipe)
Or...
An aftermarket turbo (twin or single) with a VERY loud screamer pipe

Its really hard to tell...
The price of turbo kits can range from 3k to 10k depending on what you want, how much power, what brands you're going etc
not to mention with the added power comes having to upgrade injectors, fuel pump, ECU ETC
it's an expensive process
and if your going for heaps of power without opening up your engine and doing internal mods, your engine wont last too long

Lets Rice Ma Car, y0!
(682 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG