The online racing simulator
#1 - J@tko
Rule Clarification: Blue Flagged Drivers/Mid-Race Joiners
Do all parts of Rule 6 on the rules page apply to both mid-race joiners and blue flaggers?

Both 6.0 and 6.1 only seem to apply to Blue-flagged people, 6.2 only to Mid-race joiners and 6.3 to both.

Quote from CTRA Rule 6 :6.0 Blue Flag - Lapping
If you are blue flagged, you are expected to not resist an overtaking move by the car behind. You should hold your normal line and drive in a predictable manner. You may occasionally optionally take a wider line through a corner to allow another car to pass. Use best judgement to determine if this is a viable option. It is against the CTRA rules to stop on the track to allow another car through.

6.1 Blue Flag - Waved
If you have joined mid-race, you are there solely by the grace of the race marshals. You are forbidden from participating in the current race. You must not interfere in any way with the race in progress. You may not overtake any car that is participating no matter how much faster you are, unless it is absolutely clear that the driver is pulling off the track and retiring. You MUST hold a position on the track that in no way interferes with the progress of cars that are involved in the current race.

6.2 Blue Flag - Overtaking
In all cases, you are required to first present yourself prior to overtaking blue-flagged cars. You are not automatically entitled to immediate passage and must wait for an appropriate passing place. Expect the car you are lapping to maintain their line and overtake only when it is safe to do so. The responsibility for the overtaking manoeuvre is yours. Aggressive use of the horn, as at all times, is not acceptable.

6.3 Blue Flag Messages
If you are approaching a car that is one or more laps down, they will automatically receive a Blue Flag message. If you issue additional Blue Flag messages, you automatically surrender the right to easy passage and even mid-race joiners are then entitled to fight you for position and resist your overtaking manoeuvres.

I was on SS1 a few moments ago, and was fighting for 7th place on AS2R. Approaching the end of lap 5/7, a driver (who I thought had mid-race joined, as he was a long way down the in-game order, however upon looking at the replay he was infact 2 laps down due to a pit stop, and not a mid-race joiner) overtook the guy behind me (this person was on the same lap) coming into T1. Because I'm super slow he got a run on me coming out of T1 up into that nasty little right-left that leads onto the back straight. By the time we'd got there, he was kinda nearly alongside me (see attachment - im the white and blue car) (and nearly had overlap - but that's not the point atm). Being the rather mean driver that I am, thinking that he was a mid-race joiner (and so had no right to even try and overtake me) and that he wouldn't actually try and overtake me, i turned into him and we both spun out.

So, are blue-flagged drivers 'not allowed to overtake any car that is participating no matter how much faster you are, unless it is absolutely clear that the driver is pulling off the track and retiring. You MUST hold a position on the track that in no way interferes with the progress of cars that are involved in the current race' as mid-race joiners are, or are they allowed to overtake a slower car cleanly (as this driver was not) if, like me, they are dead easy to overtake?

And am I entitled to raise a report against the driver for a) overtaking the guy behind me and/or b) trying to overtake me?
Attached images
lfs_00000100.JPG
Quote from SamH :You should allow a person who wants to unlap himself through, if he's clearly faster. There's no reason not to let someone unlap themselves if they show a desire to do so, and as you say it's probably better than him hanging out on your rear bumper.

Midrace joiners are not part of the race at all, and should be avoiding the actual race participants like the plague. They're not permitted to interfere in any way with the race in progress, and if they do and they are reported they will be severely penalised.

[edit] What sokke said ^^^ (slow typing today)

Taken from this thread. That should answer your question, I think?

Of course, the problem in your case was that you thought he had joined mid-race, and so far there is no way of verifying whether or not that is the case in-game.

If it were me, I would have let him pass me no matter if he had joined mid-race or not. It's just easier than trying to fight him off simply because maybe he has no right to pass you If, after the race, it appears that he did, in fact, join mid-race and you feel that he affected your race in a bad way you can still report him, but at least you'll have finished the race.
Quote :
If it were me, I would have let him pass me no matter if he had joined mid-race or not

Yes but it should always be YOUR choice , not the fast lapper pitting out on lap 5 of 10 who HAS to get a grid position for the next race at any cost even if it invovles screwing up your race.
#4 - J@tko
Quote from obsolum :Of course, the problem in your case was that you thought he had joined mid-race, and so far there is no way of verifying whether or not that is the case in-game.

Exactly, so surely the blue-flag and mid-race joiners rules should be the same?

If I'd have known he was not a mid-race joiner, I would possibly have let him through, but as I didn't think he was, I didnt.

Or should I just have let him through anyway, as he was quite alot faster than me?
I always let much faster people straight past, regardless of whether or not they joined mid-race / we're racing for position. As I see it, if they are obviously much faster than me, what's the point in holding them up? Perhaps I might change my mind about this when I become more competitive, but because I'm still relatively new to the game, I gain nothing from having people behind me.
from the look of the pic... there was no OVERLAP sufficient for an overtaking move, regardless who or what or where this guy came from.
#7 - SamH
We've revised our blue flag rules recently. Not that we've changed them, but hopefully we've clarified them and removed any ambiguities that may have been in the previous representation of our rules.

http://www.raceauthority.com/rules.asp

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG