The online racing simulator
Minimum speed checkpoints
(18 posts, started )
Posted this on the autox forum, but didn't get any response. Thought I'd try it here:

Is there any way to add minimum speed to autocross checkpoints (on any track), like is done in the LFS training modules? In the braking module, for instance, you can complete the course but you get a warning that your speed was too low and your time doesn't count. Is there any way to do this with a standard autox layout?
Pretty sure, that's training only. But it would be cool to have that.
Quote from Dygear :Pretty sure, that's training only. But it would be cool to have that.

Yeah, it could add a lot of fun options to an autox layout: minimum speed entering a turn, brake from x kph before a barrier, min speed at the apex, etc. I plan on using it for driver training, but I'm sure there are many other uses.
Quote from SecondSkin :Yeah, it could add a lot of fun options to an autox layout: minimum speed entering a turn, brake from x kph before a barrier, min speed at the apex, etc. I plan on using it for driver training, but I'm sure there are many other uses.

An EVOC style course would be awesome, teach people how to really handle these cars.
Quote from Dygear :An EVOC style course would be awesome, teach people how to really handle these cars.

That's exactly what I have planned. I'm surprised anyone around here knows about EVOC.
Quote from SecondSkin :That's exactly what I have planned. I'm surprised anyone around here knows about EVOC.

I have EVOC (Ambulance) and CEVO (Ambulance).
EVOC? I'm guessing that's an ambulance driver training thing involving driving at fixed speeds around cones.

Anyway, it's sadly not possible but it could be monitored with InSim I guess (as could gear going through a checkpoint if someone wants to do automated Autotest.
Quote from duke_toaster :EVOC? I'm guessing that's an ambulance driver training thing involving driving at fixed speeds around cones.

Anyway, it's sadly not possible but it could be monitored with InSim I guess (as could gear going through a checkpoint if someone wants to do automated Autotest.

EVOC is mainly given to drivers of Police cars, where techniques like the P.I.T maneuver are learned. But it can be adapted for use in an ambulance, where we also have to deal with the flow of traffic with lights and sirens. EVOC is basically how to drive safely at high speed, and how to adapt to the situation on the road as it unfolds. When people see lights, and hear sirens, they tend to do stupid things (MUCH more often then not.).
Quote from Dygear : When people see lights, and hear sirens, they tend to do stupid things (MUCH more often then not.).

like when old people just freeze still in the middle of the road lol
Quote from Robbo01 :like when old people just freeze still in the middle of the road lol

Yeah, we call that deer syndrome.
I've seen some of the EVOC simulation training. It's pretty intense. The trainer can control any of the characters in the sim (vehicles or people) and make them do really stupid things, like run in front of the EV or pull out unexpecetedly, kind of like a demo server LOL.
Quote from SecondSkin :I've seen some of the EVOC simulation training. It's pretty intense. The trainer can control any of the characters in the sim (vehicles or people) and make them do really stupid things, like run in front of the EV or pull out unexpecetedly, kind of like a demo server LOL.

Haha, great point! I bet driving demo servers would make me a better driver.
Quote from SecondSkin :Posted this on the autox forum, but didn't get any response. Thought I'd try it here:

Is there any way to add minimum speed to autocross checkpoints (on any track), like is done in the LFS training modules? In the braking module, for instance, you can complete the course but you get a warning that your speed was too low and your time doesn't count. Is there any way to do this with a standard autox layout?

I guess this can be done with an InSim application. I don't know how autox checkpoints work... are they like normal track sector checkpoints? If so there's the chance that when a player crosses an autox checkpoint an IS_SPX packet might be sent. If that's the case then you can request an IS_MCI in which you can check the speed at that checkpoint.

There's also the possibility to check the speed at all times requesting MCI packets every second or so. If SPX packets are sent at checkpoints like I say above, then you can even set different minimum speeds for each sector of the layout.
Quote from MaKaKaZo :I guess this can be done with an InSim application. I don't know how autox checkpoints work... are they like normal track sector checkpoints? If so there's the chance that when a player crosses an autox checkpoint an IS_SPX packet might be sent. If that's the case then you can request an IS_MCI in which you can check the speed at that checkpoint.

There's also the possibility to check the speed at all times requesting MCI packets every second or so. If SPX packets are sent at checkpoints like I say above, then you can even set different minimum speeds for each sector of the layout.

Splits in AutoX do generate SPX packets.
Quote from Dygear :Splits in AutoX do generate SPX packets.

Then what SecondSkin is asking can be done. The thing is that he would need to give an accurate description of what he wants and how he's planning to use it, then maybe someone can pick the project.
My memory about the training module was actually a bit off. Below min speed doesn't actually invalidate the run, it just puts up a warning over the replay and informs thay you did not pass that module. I'd prefer that the run be invalidated (no time given) or have a definable time penalty if the driver is under the minimum speed, 2-5 seconds most likely. It would also be cool if there was an onscreen message explaining the penalty.
Quote from SecondSkin :I'd prefer that the run be invalidated (no time given) or have a definable time penalty if the driver is under the minimum speed

What LFS does, and what the InSim application will accept are two different things.
Hello Dygear.

Since long time i wanted to grab all Track Data, WMO,MESH Texture...

It was planned this for Drive_LFSS project to have better Bad driving detection and Better DriftStyle system and more more more....

This was not supossed to be done until about 6 month... but today i just found again, another GREAT GREAT GREAT work, from the LFS team.

In fact i found the SMX and PTH file description , so all the reverse engineer i had todo is no more...

After couple of hours i got my grid system with complete support SMX/PTH data with WMO,MESH, PATH DIRECTION all info are into that file.

From this i can tell if your car are into the track or grass , as example.

I told you all this , cause maybe you never noticed the link between those file and your Idea into that post.

Drive_LFSS is able to Open a Layout file and auto place TriggerAction into my map/grid system, depend on the Object Type so in fact i'm completely able to do your idea.

I hope this talk make you realize that you can complete your idea

Now that i have thoses file... i really can tell SKY is the Limit!

LFS is Pure RockAndRoll

(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG