The online racing simulator
Halp Buying Monitor...
(8 posts, started )
Halp Buying Monitor...
Yet another "help me I duno what to buy"

Heres what I want:
A new center screen for my triple screen setup.Currently I got (left to right) a 17''CRT, a 17''HP LCD (TN) and a 17'' Neovo LCD (crappy)
I want at least 22''.
It will be used mainly for gaming, some coding, playing movies.
I can see very clearly, so image quality IS important. However, I will be sitting quite far away, so...
Would like to spend as little as possible for the best possible.
No more (under no circumstances) than 500€, would MUCH rather have it in the 200-ish price range.

Heres the deals I got:
ASUS MON. TFT 22" VW221D 189€
Asus VW222S 210€
Asus VW222U 233.50€

Hanton L-239w 199€
Samsung 223BW 209€

LG 226WA 299€
LG 222WS-SN 199.92€

HP Pavillion W2207H 319€
LG-M228WD-BZ TV 399€ (this one can double as a TV, though)
Viewsonic VA2216W 182.12€

I also saw a huge beautifull 24'' samsung but its 475€

I also dont know (yet) which of those is DVI - it will be a make or break factor, as Im tired of using adpators, and DVI connections have better image(or so Im told) and should have faster refresh rates (this I know).

These are from the local shops - I COULD buy it from teh interwebs, but I'd have to pay to get it shipped here, and it would prolly be the same price.

As you can see, theres buttloads of them... what do I do?

EDIT: I just need the screen, dont need any of the "fluff" - speakers, webcams, USB hubs....
If you are using 17inchers as your side screens you need a 20inch WS to match the height.
i.e. a 17inch standard monitor is more or less the same height as a 20inch widescreen, furthermore 19inchers 4:3 are the same height as a 22inch ws.

If you are not interested in matching heights then the ASUS is a good quality monitor so are the LG's. There are not many good 22's out there so personally I would either stick with a 20 or splash out on a 24 incher. If you can afford it get a DELL.
#3 - Jakg
DVI makes very little difference (although it should) - some screens show improvement, others don't...
Quote from anttt69 :If you are using 17inchers as your side screens you need a 20inch WS to match the height.
i.e. a 17inch standard monitor is more or less the same height as a 20inch widescreen, furthermore 19inchers 4:3 are the same height as a 22inch ws.

If you are not interested in matching heights then the ASUS is a good quality monitor so are the LG's. There are not many good 22's out there so personally I would either stick with a 20 or splash out on a 24 incher. If you can afford it get a DELL.

Dont really care about mathcing heigts - for example, remember that a 17'' CRT is roughly equal to a 15?'' LCD in size.
The left screen's top edge is lined with the center screen, but the bottom edge is about 1.5 inches higher - and the right screen's BOTTOM edge is 0.5 inches lower than the center one's and the top edge is about 1 inch lower. (both are 17'' though - LOL) Im used to non-matching screens

ON the other hand - a 20'' wide sceen with short bezels just next to the other 17'' inchers WOULD look great...

NAH Ill just go for triple 22''
I finally got the cash to buy the monitor (2kids,1dog, 2 cats.... money sometimes just *evaporates*)...

Thing is - yesterday I went to pick up a Samsung 225UW - they only had the display monitor. Different shop to pick up a cheap LG 225WS - Only had the display monitor. Another store to get the Samsung 225UW... ALSO ony had the display one.
So I try the Asus VW221D - AGAIN ONLY HAD THE DISPLAY ONE...
GAH.

After a fit of screaming (mainly me complaining on why put monitors there that they have no stock of, and no I dont want the 12h/day-same-image monitor that is on display unless its 50% off), I discovered 2 monitors that ARE in stock.

The Asus VW221D - though some 20kms away, it IS in stock at another store.
The LG 222WS - which is a LOT cheaper, at only 157€, versus the asus' 187€.

Which should I buy?
Quote from Stigpt :I also dont know (yet) which of those is DVI - it will be a make or break factor, as Im tired of using adpators, and DVI connections have better image(or so Im told) and should have faster refresh rates (this I know).

Only immediate advantage you will see, in the given price range, using DVI is the automatic white balance adjustment and the fact that you can adjust screen properties directly via your video card software.
Asus VW222U 233.50€

I have it and this is good.
For 160€ (plus VAT = 204€) I got a LG W2252TQ

Very good monitor, eclipses my Neovo F-417 and my hp1702.
I can see the lack of quality forbin ALWAYS says, but I cant really see the color degradation on the edges. The "lack of quality" is just BARELY noticable IF I press my nose to the screen, AND its a white-on-black-text screen.
Still MUCH better than my other 17'' lcds - THe only bad hting about it (the so-called lack of quality) stems from being a 22''screen with the same resolution of a 20'' screen (1600*1050) - so the pixels are bigger and farther apart. But if you dont sit with the screen on your lap, youll never notice.

Halp Buying Monitor...
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG