The online racing simulator
The big bang theory machine
(37 posts, started )
That's why they call it "theoretical physics"
Quote from mutt107 :told you the world will end in 2012! if they wait till then..

Yeah, they'll never let the CBA expire!
Quote from Dajmin :That's why they call it "theoretical physics"

for us physicists, 'theoretical' doesn't mean 'speculative' or 'improbable' or 'only in our fiction'.
Exactly. It's physics in which the caclulations work flawlessly, but an experiment to prove it would be unfeasable (such as travelling to another star to physically measure its distance from us and therefore prove parallax works).
It's one of the problems that scientists face - laypeople don't understand the basic terminology (e.g. theoretical), and so assume that all the stuff we know as 99.9% fact is actually just guessed...

Therefore people think science is a scam, and aren't interested in understanding the first thing about it.
You take what you CAN prove and you assign it to the stuff you can't, assuming that constants remain constant and that variables remain um...well constant in their variation.

So, for instance (applying layman examples) I assume that the suction my vacuum creates at one end of the hose is more or less the same as at the other end of the hose, allowing for friction of the surface inside the hose (because I can prove it creates friction in another situation) and the loss due to curvature.

It might not, there might be some random part inside the hose that I can't see or the material might be different somewhere, but I can apply a reasonable assumption that it will until someone can prove otherwise.
#33 - wien
Ignorance. Creating unsubstantiated panic since the beginning of time.

How about some of you try to understand a tiny fraction of the issue at hand before you predict certain doom? If anything is going to destroy this world it's people like you jumping to stupid conclusions without at shred of evidence. "What a ****ed up world" indeed.
Quote from Crashgate3 :They do slowly 'evaporate' but it takes billions of years.

not at that size... black holes the size you could create in an accelerator will evaporate somewhere in the 10^-whatever seconds range
not everybody can be that retarded to let this guys recreate a nanosecond after the bigbang, it will obviously be bad

theyve been 9 years saying ill doit, but probably the bosses dont allow that
Quote from lerts :not everybody can be that retarded to let this guys recreate a nanosecond after the bigbang, it will obviously be bad

there is this one case where the 'bosses' made a decision against the engineers... do you remember what happened? :bananadea
Quote from lerts :not everybody can be that retarded to let this guys recreate a nanosecond after the bigbang, it will obviously be bad

Why would the bosses know any better? And why is that nanosecond (on a smaller scale) going to be so bad?

The big bang theory machine
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG