The online racing simulator
"Must see" Australia.
(107 posts, started )
"Must see" Australia.
I am currently compiling a list of "must see" things for my trip to Oz in 6 weeks.

Basically, I am looking for suggestions from our Aussie LFS drivers, and anyone else who's been, knows someone who has.

Currently, as we are spending the majority of our time near Sydney, I have pencilled in the Motorsport museaum at Bathurst, the harbour bridge, darling harbour, opera house etc etc.

Also, we are driving down to Melbourne for a week, while we are there we will be visiting the Great ocean road, Dandenong ranges, Fern gully.

So any other suggestions for "must sees", either in Sydney, Melbourne, between the two, or around the two, would be greatly appreciated.
#2 - Bean0
Ramsay Street ?
#3 - BAMBO
This are just a few: Road Trains, the local tribes and their rituals (including the Hakka) , Sidney's Opera House, go camel catching, a trip in one of their mines, venture in Australia's great outbacks.
I think Ayers Rock (sp?) is a nice place too, dunno how far away it is from sydney though.
Ayers rock is MILES away
Crocodiles and the Castlemaine brewery
first reply from an aussie?? ok, well i live in melbourne..

I recomend:

the MCG (melbourne cricket ground)
Federation Square
Eureka Tower
Rialto
Phillip Island
Go to mt.bullar to see the snow
Come to Frankston, where i am, we have a nice beach.
go down the great ocean road
see the 12 apposils.
IMAX Theatre Melbourne largest movie screen in the world!
Melbourne Aquarium lots of fish
Melbourne Zoo lots of animals
Queen Victoria Market, freaking awesome market
there are lots of things to do in melbourne.
motorsport museaum at bathurst thats a long! way from melbourne, or a fair way from sydney, im going to the Bathurst 1000 this year, gonna be great!!!

if you need anymore info, just ask
Quote from Bean0 :Ramsay Street ?

when I go to oz thats the one thing I plan to see
Quote from mickyc30 :first reply from an aussie?? ok, well i live in melbourne..

I recomend:

the MCG (melbourne cricket ground)
Federation Square
Eureka Tower
Rialto
Phillip Island
Go to mt.bullar to see the snow
Come to Frankston, where i am, we have a nice beach.
go down the great ocean road
see the 12 apposils.
IMAX Theatre Melbourne largest movie screen in the world!
Melbourne Aquarium lots of fish
Melbourne Zoo lots of animals
Queen Victoria Market, freaking awesome market
there are lots of things to do in melbourne.
motorsport museaum at bathurst thats a long! way from melbourne, or a fair way from sydney, im going to the Bathurst 1000 this year, gonna be great!!!

if you need anymore info, just ask

Perfect post, just what I am after

Funny you mention you live in Frankston, because I am staying at the Best Western Frankston International for 3 nights
I've always wanted to visit Australia too, but the flight takes about 12 hours and I don't like it.
Try 23 hours...........
#13 - senn
i live on the west coast but i did the theme parks on the goldcoast late last year, do movieworld, Dreamworld (worlds tallest freedrop ride 118m siiiiickkkkkk)

I'd also reccomend u tour around up in the northern part of the country, it really is beautiful, the pinncles, broome etc, also the national parks in the NT.
I just spent a couple of years driving all over Australia so might be able to help

Really it all depends on how long are you going for, and what you're after. If you just want to party then... err... stay at home - you get just as drunk but the beer's better here

You're best getting out of the cities if you want to really see something of Australia. Have a day in Sydney and Melbourne of course, but once you've seen the sights you'll find the cities, zoos, aquariums, theme parks etc., are exactly like European cities, zoos, aquariums and theme parks so I really wouldn't bother spending too much time there.

And unless you are there for the partying don't bother with Bondi Beach either. It's absolutely packed and there are miles of better and quieter beaches everywhere along the coast.

From Sydney the Blue Mountains are an easy drive and worth seeing. Quite touristy but still pretty. There's a fantastic YHA hostel in Katoomba too.

Then I'd suggest heading back and taking the coastal road from Sydney to Melbourne rather than the direct road. That whole coastline is great: you can see dolphins in Jervis Bay, stingrays in Narooma, Eden, Pambula, Lakes Entrance etc.

There's also a couple of rainforest bits if you wanted to see them on the way and it'll take you straight to Philip Island too.

From Melbourne, definitely do the Great Ocean Road as planned; it's really a great drive (we did it twice ).

The Grampians are a couple of hours drive north west from Melbourne and are really pretty. You get a good idea of the size of the country looking out from those hills. Stop at Ballarat on the way to the Grampians too. It's an old gold mining town so it's a bit of history - Oz style.

If you're going for longer than a few weeks, I have plenty more

Oh, and in Frankston, you'll find that the Mullet is alive and well
Thanks man, no partying for me, my partying days were over nearly 20 years ago!!!.

The only thing I have planned, is MotoGP at Phillip Island, everything else is fluid.

We are there for just under a month, I think we'll drive Sydney - Melbourne the "quick" way, and just meander back to Sydney along the coast, taking in whatever, where ever.

Well up for seeing dolphins/stingrays/whales etc, we are definately going to try and take in Melba gully and ottaway national park while we are on the great ocean road.
So you're flying into and out of Sydney? The coast road is a bit of trek compared to the highway but well worth it.

Oh, if you do fancy seeing the local wildlife there's a nice little koala sanctuary on Philip Island.

You'll also see the 'penguin parade' advertised everywhere, which is basically a small grandstand on the beach where 300 people sit and watch the penguins come in at night. The penguins clearly aren't too keen, since most of them try and avoid the enormous spotlights by sneaking up the side of the beach, but it is quite cool to watch them right up close, heading up the hill from the beach.

But if you talk to the locals they'll probably point you to places on the island to see them away from the crowds (and for free) but I'm not sure where exactly.

If you stop to Narooma, I know the owners of a nice motel there
You could also visit the wizard of Oz.
Best Western? thats about 3 minutes away from me!
#19 - senn
might as well stay at your place then eh, u two can play LFS together LOL
As a general guide, I'd stick with coastal driving over inland driving. Wilson's Promontory is pretty special (southernmost tip of Victoria). link
Quote from senn :might As Well Stay At Your Place Then Eh, U Two Can Play Lfs Together Lol

Lol :d
Quote from danowat :I am currently compiling a list of "must see" things for my trip to Oz in 6 weeks.

Basically, I am looking for suggestions from our Aussie LFS drivers, and anyone else who's been, knows someone who has.

Currently, as we are spending the majority of our time near Sydney, I have pencilled in the Motorsport museaum at Bathurst, the harbour bridge, darling harbour, opera house etc etc.

Also, we are driving down to Melbourne for a week, while we are there we will be visiting the Great ocean road, Dandenong ranges, Fern gully.

So any other suggestions for "must sees", either in Sydney, Melbourne, between the two, or around the two, would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Danowat!

I live in Sydney Australia and i can tell you some of the less touristy but some of the fun things to do around it!

Coming from London i am guess you like night clubs and such? Home bar in cockle bay is a very large club in sydney city whilst the three wise monkeys on George street is a popular drinking hole with live music for the more homely pub feel!

Now being on the LFS forum i assume you like driving? Grab a hire car and head up to the blue mountains via the bells line of road! If you are coming during summer there is a great little spot in the mountains which will break the driving up nicely! It is called Clarence Dam or 'duck pond' to the locals in lithgow; you can see some of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDUZRbe6yQY Just turn left (the left turn is before the bridge which is just before the big right turn into the main zig zag area) into a dirt track and follow the zig zag railway until you see the white arrows, than follow those. Once your sick of the rope swings and chute slides, you can turn left after lithgow on the great westurn highway and head to katoomba and the jenolen caves for some sight seeing fun! Should take one full day.
If you still crave more driving fun, than the old pacific highway is a must. Have lunch at the 'pie in the sky' restaraunt half way down and enjoy the hawkesbury river from a number of nice (but expensive - not that youd mind coming from england) pubs littered throughout. Be aware that the road has washed out after the big t intersection where you turn left for the F3 or right to continue along the OPH - this is a bonus to some people as nobody drives on it anymore and it has an excelent surface and is very twisty and fun.

Anyway, If you every get bored just head into a pub and ask the happiest looking person what he reckons you should do and see .
Quote from senn :might as well stay at your place then eh, u two can play LFS together LOL

LOL! donno if mum would be too happy about that.. "hey mum, a random guy that i don't even know, that i have only spoken to on the internet and all i know about him is that he lives in england is going to stay at our house, is that ok?"

*gets ready for the rath of mum*

But danowat, you should add me to msn if you would like to chat abit more bout aus if you like. [email protected]

Thanks Michael
Outstanding stuff guys, thanks very much

I think it's always better to get where to go from the natives, rather than a guide book, so thanks alot for that

We pick up a hire car at the airport for the entire trip, a Toyota Corrola apprently....eeppp.....apart from the Melbourne trip, we are staying with family just north of Sydney, Bateau bay.

I'll compile a list from everything thats posted here

Thanks again, I really appreciate it
When do you leave to head down under?

"Must see" Australia.
(107 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG