The online racing simulator
8800gt
(10 posts, started )
8800gt
8800gt temps. Is 72C high for this card, and if so what can be done.

Thanks
Ant
72 is quite high yes, at least if you compare it to my 8800GT. I bought a new cooler for it, because it was at around 55 under load. You could do that, or fiddle with stuff inside your case, to make sure the airflow is good.
Probably it's a bit high since mine is at 57C (when i play LFS at least). As said before a good way to improve temps is to make the airflow in your case better. Make sure that your pc tower is not put with it's back or front close to the wall. You might need to open the side panel to keep the air fresh/cool. And if you have to buy fans, a case fun is much cheaper than a GPU fan.

P.S. My card is a stock Asus 8800GT.
I have a 8800GT and had some over heating problems with it also. I did some research on it and it turns out this card does run at an average higher temperature compared to other cards.

If its at 72C while under alot of load thats to be expected. My main culprit was the game "STALKER", after having a few crashes I monitored my temperatures which reached 92C!!!!!

If you are reaching 72C running LFS I would suggest upping your Graphics card fan speed and increasing ventilation in your case, my graphics temp only reaches 55C with 19 ai cars on lfs.

While looking on forums to increase my fan speed for the graphics card it turns out the standard speed of the fan is running at around 20%. If you use a program such as Rivatuner you can change it to run at 50% fan speed which drastically decreases the temperature it runs at
I have 2 8800GTS' in SLi mode (SLi just means minimal performance gain with a stupid amount of heat ...)

My cards idle around 55C & reach about 60C playing LFS.

Have had temps up to 75-80C when playing Crysis...

If you're just playing LFS then yes, thats a little high. If it only reaches that when playing demanding games, then you're fine

Sarge.
download a program called rivatuner and turn your fan up and it will drop your temps depending on what percentage you turn it up to.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

edit: just posted a pic just install the program and click on the button i circled in the window on the left(customize) and then check low level fan control and then fixed and then st it to whatever you want it at. then apply it and you will reduce temps. when i was on the stock cooler if you set it to 80 to 90 percent it doesnt get to loud. %100 isnt to loud but it will reduce temps a lot. hope this helps

edit 2: btw %29 is stock for the gt so you will see temp drops. and anything that says reboot or detect now just detect now theres no need for a reboot.
Attached images
fan button.JPG
rivatuner fan settings.JPG
100% isnt loud? you must have a sound proof case my friend. I could hear a drastic different just turing it up to 60% on mine, when i turning it upto 100% there was a helecopter in my tower!

Hes still right though use rivatuner to turn up you fan speed if your worried about your temperatures on your card.
Well I would not advice to use a fixed fan value.

With rivatuner u can override the bios settings for the dynamic fan control.

As for my card (8800 gts 512) the original settings kept the revs at a low level until 85°C, which is much to high.
I increased the idle rev to 40% (the point where u start notice the noise of the fan) and changed the dynamic settings so it runs at 100% arround 87°C.
Now I get a max temp of about 75°C (the revs are arround 65%) and a idle temp of 60°C, which is quite ok.

I wonder how ppl can run their fans at 100%, for me it sounds like the case is about to have a lift off.
I like to have it quiet when I am working on my pc and while gaming I don't care if it gets a bit louder.

There was somewhere a description how to override the default settings with rivatuner.
Only drawback, you need to start rivatuner every time with windows for the settings to take effect.
Attached images
rivatuner.png
72C Sounds a little hot. A different answer to those above would be to check for/Remove Dust from your card and interior. Make sure no wires are obscuring the fan. I'm sure you've already thought of this but if you havn't...
72 C are ok, the chip can handle 100 C at least, but getting rid of dust is a good hint to avoid too much heating.

8800gt
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG