The online racing simulator
Live Suspension Info?
(10 posts, started )
Live Suspension Info?
I had a look through InSim.txt and couldn't find what I wanted, so I thought I'd ask here to double check.

Is there a way to access a cars live ride height? I'm looking for a way to determine a car's rake angle.
While racing in the game press SHIFT + L

EDIT: Doh programmer forum :doh: Well I know it should be possible, those replay analyzers get some information. But Live, hmmm
Trying to stop the suspension bug / glitch / cheat? No, I really don't think there is a way to get ride hight information. The devs don't want people to use InSim to steal other racers setups. Tweaker, that's a really neat trick, nerver knew about that before.
Nah, if asked before about getting live telemetry added to the outsim spec but didnt get a response. I think there couold be an issue with cheating though.

Imagine there was real-time telemetry output, it would be perfectly possible to write an external traction control, abs and auto-countersteer program that hooked into your controller and corrected your mistakes. The LFS equivalent of an aimbot.
Quote from colcob :Nah, if asked before about getting live telemetry added to the outsim spec but didnt get a response. I think there couold be an issue with cheating though.

Imagine there was real-time telemetry output, it would be perfectly possible to write an external traction control, abs and auto-countersteer program that hooked into your controller and corrected your mistakes. The LFS equivalent of an aimbot.

I really don't think that Traction Control is all that bad, but that's just me. ABS is really quite unnessacery, locking tires can be worked away easily with a good setup. But think of the mousers. Its only right to have TC from them atlest. Speaking of Outsim, where can I read up on that? I would love to get information such as revs and output it to a GUI program. Also speed, throttle and break would be awsome.
Again. none of that is in outsim. The outsim packet spec is at the bottom of the readme file in your LFS folder if memory serves.
Its basically designed to provide data for motion simulators, so it just includes basic position/rotation/velocity stuff.
However, I definitely think it would be good to include the gauges and gears in that so that people who want to build full on cockpits can get the info.
#7 - w126
Maybe combining live position and orientation data from OutSim with track surface description (CMX) could be good enough to calculate live ride height of every wheel? Provided that wheels have contact with the ground at a given moment of course. However I don't know how accurate CMX files are.
Quote from Dygear :I really don't think that Traction Control is all that bad, but that's just me. ABS is really quite unnessacery, locking tires can be worked away easily with a good setup. But think of the mousers. Its only right to have TC from them atlest. Speaking of Outsim, where can I read up on that? I would love to get information such as revs and output it to a GUI program. Also speed, throttle and break would be awsome.

Outsim is briefly described in the main readme, but it doesn't really provide what you are looking for. It's basically physics data feed to be used by motion simulator rigs, such as the Force Dynamics 301. There's been talk before about creating a new output format that feeds data for feeding physical gauges, but I don't know if that's going anywhere or where it would stand in relation to all the other things that are planned.
Alright thanks guys. This is a confirmed no.
I suppose that in theory, it would be possible to get the information out in real time with some memory sniffing techniques such as those used in LFSTweak. The downside being that every new patch you have to scour the memory for the right offsets all over again.

Live Suspension Info?
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG