The online racing simulator
Question - two 17" and one 19" widescreen
Hi all,

I was thinking of getting a third monitor for LFS. I currently have a 19" widescreen and a 17" 5:4 monitor so obviously I would go for another 17" 5:4. However, my 19" widescreen is slightly shorter (about 2 cm) than the 17" screens. How does SoftTH deal with this, will it cause there to be distortion between the screens because the middle one is shorter or can it adjust so that you just see a bit more on the side screens?

Also, will I have to set one vertical resolution across all three screens so if my centre screen is 1440 by 900 my side screens will also need to be 900 pixels high? Or will I be able to use the full res of all screens, i.e. 1280 x 1024 on the side screens.

Any help is appreciated.

Dave.
I use 22" 1680x1050 in the middle and two 15" 1024x768 on sides. It seems that SoftTH draws three 1680x1050 images and then just fits the original image to the lower resolution. It's not perfect, but I don't care, because the most important thing is to get a wider view to see the other racer in a tight situation.

I think you should use the original screen resolution for each monitor and just tell SoftTH which resolution each monitor has, and it will then fit images accordingly.
I have a 24" widescreen in the middle and 20" monitors on the sides, running 1680x1050 and 1280x1024. SoftTH scales things fine to match up on all the monitors even thought the vertical resolutions are different.

If you actually have two of the monitors already you can try SoftTH out now just to see if it matches up alright for you. You'll just need to disable the third one that you don't have yet in the configuration file.
Thanks for that both of you. I will try it out, didn't realise it would work like that.

Dave.
Quote from romus74 :It seems that SoftTH draws three 1680x1050 images and then just fits the original image to the lower resolution.

You can adjust that with the sideExtraWidth setting.
I have tried to run softth with only 2 monitors but it gives me an error saying it can't find the right screen (because it doesn't exist!) as a result it won't let me play LFS.

You mentioned above about disabling the right screen. How do you do this as I can't see anything in the CFG file.

Thanks.
If I remember correctly, for the right monitor ID in the config file you'd change it to -1 to disable it.

Question - two 17" and one 19" widescreen
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG