The online racing simulator
Car & Track editor
(23 posts, started )
Car & Track editor
A util that would allow us to edit cars and track, allowing us to make are own
#2 - Fuse5
Thanks for the spam, no go away. These kind of threads already exist.
It's not spam, and the term is "now" go away not "no" go away.

The reason for my post was simple, I program in C++ and have done for some 15+ years, "so what" you say, well I would like to work on an editor for this great sim which I bought pretty much on day one.

I wanted to offer something back into the world of sim racing for this sim as I have done others.
#4 - Fuse5
Okay, I apologize for the typo.

This has been discussed several times already.
We already have 940 track/car combinations, and don't tell me that you've tried every one of them.
Then there is the fact that only a fraction of those combos is being driven online.
And when we had this car&track utility, it would more or less turn this into rFactor, with endless cars and tracks, some good, some just poor, and only a small fraction of those would be driven online.
Because of the massive drift and cruise fanbase over here, it would just diminish the whole meaning of LFS being a racing simulator. Because all we'd have would be AE86's, Silvias, Skylines, etc. + endless city "tracks" for cruising.

Thats why, still, no.
(maybe you are just playing the wrong game? rFactor has what you crave for)
I'm sorry I didn't do the search to find the other threads which I know have (it is Sunday morning ).

I think an editor could work to stop the rFactor problem (some poor cars/tracks). Maybe it would/could allow people to create there own tracks and cars, but not be able to inject them into game at a point for everyone else to download and try.

That sound's a bit odd, but like the car/skin viewer it would allow you to work on cars or tracks, but the only way to include them into the sim would be by sending them to the LFS team and they "offically" release them..?

Wouldn't that work better than rFactor
#6 - Fuse5
Well, it would still be a waste of time.
Waste of time coding it, and waste of time for the community to produce their stupid skylines and shit, just for the team to go through all those requests (waste of time) just to turn most of them down.

And we do have quite a lot of vehicles already, not all of them are driven (again).

IMO, it just wouldn't work.
I trust the devs in their choices, only 2 cars i imagine that could be added would be the RB4 GTR and the RAC GTR. But thats it.
I am not against the principle of an editor, but we can't forget that as Fuse5 said there will be extremely good tracks/cars, and others will just be pointless.

However, if you know how to program/create models I would definetely suggest that you should send some of your works (physics included) to the devs. Indeed, we lack severely from new track and car content, so if you somehow can help the devs, please do it with a direct chat with them, submitting your work

I do not agree with Fuse5 when he says that the 940 track/cars combos mean a lot of diversity. Nobody will really drive them all online or solo just because some combo doesn't interest them. For instance, some guys prefer open wheelers, others GTR-like leagues, others Mini Racing on open diffs. Some people even train on a specific car only just because it is close to what they race IRL.
So we cannot blame those people for not racing all combos avalaible.
Just one more track would be good, and I think really miss some more twisty tracks than what is allowed today.
Moreover, I am quite sad that they kind of forget the rallycross aspect of the game, which is very fun and promising.
#8 - Fuse5
Yes, obviously, a track would do some good. And a couple of cars. But still, we do not need an editor for it.

The track layouts aren't always used how they should be. As it is pointless to drive 8 km circuits in XFG/XRG, or Fe Club (for CLUB racing) in GTRs. :/
That's why I dislike some combos, and like others.
I wonder if they (LFS team) license there tools?

I understand all your points on an editor not working and in some senses it could be harmfull.. I guess I'm always hungry to seen new content and to try and push a product to do well in the market place. LFS couldn't put an end to most of the other sim, and don't get me wrong I love the work they do, and have recomended it to most of my friends.

I went away for a "walk in the desert" so to speak, and played other sims, and despite countless hours,days,weeks, rFactor just didn't feel realistic to me. I'm not saying LFS is realistic but as a Sim on a PC it's mighty good and I will continue to lap badly on it.
Yeah I totally understand what you mean !

I'm also a member of the active "I want new track/cars brigade". I'm just saying that an editor would be the fastest way to have one, but not the best one for the reasons mentionned above
There are some kind of tracks that are not used in LFS. For instance, I think that we lack some "endurance" kind of track for the road cars. I mean, for open wheelers and GTRs, Kyoto Long or Aston Historic is the perfect match for a track that put stress as well on the pilot and on the machine for high powered cars, but totally pointless for the road going cars.
That's why I am totally in favor of a track that is really twisty, narrow, etc, in order to be very very technical and stressful for the road going pilots .

I am actually trying to design a layout using parts from different tracks and asphalt rallye stages so that it would be really intense for low specs (understand non-race) cars and even baby GTR. If someone can try to model it with a high quality, maybe we could send some renders to the devs in order to give them an idea
Nice ideas guys
+10000000 for an editor
#14 - BIzO
Use Layout Editor for create a track, and for car, use a 3D Program , Open a CMX cars files, and edit your car with the Program.
I'm sorry to bring this one up again, but I quite agree with paulinho.
I am a 3D modeler and I make my own cars. I just don't have a game to put them in (Racer is rubbish, NFS is too). To be able to put my own creations in LFS would be great.
This is for personal use only, because as you all have said: LFS would become rFactor with loads and loads of rubbish models. Also, online racing would require everyone to download the particular model.

Perhaps there are plugins available? Ofcourse the design team wouldn't give them away so easily, but it would be great.

Just two examples:
Chevrolet Stingray
VW Käfer
Community content integration is a good idea (after all there is the talent) but a willy nilly anarchy for modification like rFactor is a monumentally stupid idea.
-1, we need to get this sim as close as we can together.
There aren't many servers with many players which race equal-ish cars, don't break it apart by making mods. (thus making it a non-plug-'n-play sim)
After S3 there are a chance that the dev's will release their tools
But again, they has not promissed everything, they are just saying that they are thinking og doing it when they have done what they want to do with the game.
Well, I think Editor would be ok, another thing I could use while I'm bored! But only for offline or Network Games! If you would be able to play your tracks or cars online it would destroy the game! Another thing is, that it wouldn't be realistic anymore, if anyone can build and upload their tracks and cars! As said a lot of times on this board, LFS is still a racing-simulation and it should concentrate on racing, not on other stuff, like building!
I am too a 3d artist and i hope stage 3 will come with a track editor or something to import them. RFactor is not as excellent as lfs physsics and car handling. I dont care if there is no new cars in lfs because what it is is very good, but tracks is not the same in my honest opinion. I think that realistic circuit means realistic driving, i explain.

1. Circuits are made by designers who are proffesionals and they know everything to make drivers "happy", so on people can make an exact replica of that circuit (with google earth elevations and 3d max for example, with bobs track builder or something new).

2.It´s known that talent drivers like Fernando Alonso practiced with racing games or simulators and they learned the layout from this experience. Hamilton for example or F1 drivers have their game simulators at their work place. This is an "open door" for the next generation of "poor" drivers.

3. Everyone knows racing one lap on a circuit and tell if this track can be pointed with 5 stars or 1 star meaning that that track is completely unrealistic or bad for some reason.

4.It is always better to have more tracks than less in my opinion, and if people can make them there will not be licencing issues with the naming of the tracks, just download and bingo.

Wel thats my opinion, i hope s3 will come with track editor or something because if that happens i will start building exact replica circuits, maybe Monaco, Hungaroring, Jerez, Estoril, Laguna Seca...
Quote from Stuffi :But only for offline or Network Games! If you would be able to play your tracks or cars online it would destroy the game!

You just failed.
#22 - Gunn
Quote from Shadowww :You just failed.

With comments like that, it seems that you are aspiring to become quite a huge failure yourself.
Just because there is user created content it doesn't mean that is has to be unregulated. There can be restrictions and guidelines on what you can/can't make and then have the creation submitted to the LFS team, or more likely some outsourced person/group to aprove/reject it.

Car & Track editor
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG