The online racing simulator
DVI-D and Radeon 4870 (don't play nice together)
I'm using a Radeon 4870 and a Benq V2400W 24" monitor @ 1920x1200 @ 60 Hz resolution (this is important, or else I would bother saying it). Until now I used a DVI-I single-link cable in between my monitor and video card, and it worked fine. Today I decided to try a DVI-D digital dual link cable. I replace my old cable with this one, and turned on the computer. At first everything seemed fine, the system went through its POST, and the Windows XP boot screen showed up. After the boot screen disappeared, the monitor went black and said "out of range". Wtf? I plugged my old cable in and it worked fine (at that aforementioned resolution). I plugged in the new cable again and again it said out of range. This was my exact expression: I tried lower resolutions, same problem, my old cable worked fine but no luck with the new one.

Does the Radeon 4870 not support DVI-D dual-link? I thought it did. My monitor is supposed to support it as well. Anybody have any experience with this DVI-D dual-link thing?
#2 - Jakg
...erm use the old cable...?
Thanks for the help, you've solved my problem. I can't believe I didn't think of that.
#4 - Jakg
Hey it's a simple solution.

I honestly don't know the answer to this - but why use DVI-Dual Link in the first place? What's the advantage?
I dunno really, I suppose it should be better, or else why would they bother making it? I wanted to give it a try, but it just doesn't wanna work.
#6 - need
I don't think ATI use the DVI-D format at all, prefering to use the DVI-I format.
You should be able to get a dual-link DVI-I cable though.
#7 - Jakg
If it's a digital connection then it doesn't really make a difference surely...?

I know that the higher-up DVI connectors can support higher resolutions - but thats really all i know lol.
#8 - need
DVI-D is digital
DVI-I is integrated, ie. both digital and analogue

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG