The online racing simulator
First
i wasnt talkin about drivers that are lapped say in .. 20 lap race and they started the race just like others - in this case i fully agree with you Tristan

Second
I belive you should use ur head during the race. When i drive and some faster driver is about to lap me i just give him as much space as he needs ( BUT not as much as it wont slow me down - as much as it wont SLOW DOWN THE FASTER DRIVER )
WHY ??
SIMPLE KINDNESS, a little favour for a faster driver - i loose NOTHING but those in race can get their race ruined. Simple as that. Im not sure what EXACTLY blue flag says. I just expect a little kindness thats all !!
I ll repeat - what a big deal is to make way for a faster driver ESPECIALLY when you re not participating in RACE??illepallHELL O !?

Thats what i do , thats what i expect.

And some other example i dont think you ll read about it anywhere in manuals or something like that.
First chicane on Blackwood track. I am first and about to leave that chicane but i make mistake and my car is in rolling over process , behind me are 11 cars that will crash me without doubts - i pressed that damn SHIFT + S ehhh ...

Was there flag "press Shift + S" any flag says about it ??
Next race guy in front of me repeated that - great ! fair play to him , fair play to every fair driving person.

Im not walking jesus , i make mistakes as well , i just want ppl to use their damn heads and to be a little gentelman on track.

Person that gets on track in the middle of the race and blocks others = arsehole - i wont change that opinion.

EDIT

Calum now you wrote that it isnt like that you dont care about others in race what I misunderstood before. I still cant fully agree with you but you made yourself clearer to me.
Quote from Rtsbasic :I will handle the blue flag differently based on if I'm in a long race and being lapped, or I joined mid-race. If I join mid-race, I will if necessary pit, run myself off the track, anything to prevent interfering with the person(s) lapping me.

thats what im focused on. And thats what im talking about.
I would rather be in a race with Calum than with Dupson
I think it is common sense ,just some people have more than others lol .EDIT: just read your post above Dupson some respect, were not talking Wreakers just late joiners , with ya. however Calum never mentioned he didnt start the race same as everyone else just a section of a lap.

Lapping traffic is part of racing ,and expecting someone to just get off the track or pull over is really not going to win points with any of the more experienced drivers here .

If were talking BL1 1st chicain, I would take a normal line in and hug the lefthander to take a wide (left) line out, with my left signal on and allow the lapping car to gain a good exit (dosnt allways happen that way ) but thats just me .

Bitching about or banning people because you dont like to use the brake pedal for traffic is somthing Ill never understand, we are all here to race (or drift ugg) and have fun .

SD.

PS Hurry up and buy a S2 licence you Demo guys
allrite there SparkyDave m8 lol
Hello there all ,

Dupson i think you just slightly contradicted yourself from what you posted when i made my first reply earlier , but i did read your edited part at end of post and am happy to leave it as this , good luck in future races

Quote :Person that gets on track in the middle of the race and blocks others = arsehole - i wont change that opinion.

i never said i did this when joining in middle race , and have posted the exect opposite about blocking racers , yet you still insult me in first post , but oh well.

SparkyDave ,

hello there m8 , good to speak to you

Quote :If were talking BL1 1st chicain, I would take a normal line in and hug the lefthander to take a wide (left) line out, with my left signal on and allow the lapping car to gain a good exit (dosnt allways happen that way ) but thats just me .

me too m8 ! thats the one to do

Quote :Bitching about or banning people because you dont like to use the brake pedal for traffic is somthing Ill never understand, we are all here to race (or drift ugg) and have fun .

too true

Quote :PS Hurry up and buy a S2 licence Calum

cant wait m8 , i'll get one as soon as i can ( which shouldnt be long ) , i am very interested in the V8 and other karts / formula 1 / 2 / 3 type cars ( hence my name in LFS ( at bottom of post )) , so i use the GTI in DEMO at the moment , but once i get S2 license , i will be onto the formula 1 type cars immediatly.

I'll let you know when i get it m8 , i think i am a safe enough driver for you to show me round a few of the courses one weekend or evening , without me causing any kafuffle

Thanks

Calum

Renault F1 tm
Quote from Calum :
i never said i did this when joining in middle race , and have posted the exect opposite about blocking racers , yet you still insult me in first post , but oh well.

sorry mate. I did it from misunderstanding and didnt call this off ( call this out??)

I apologize.
no no
no its fine hehe ,

they bounce off me like a michelen dropped from 30ft m8 , it comes from baring hundreds of them most times on LFS DEMO servers lolol

a discussion is definely what this topic turned out to be hehe its good to read other drivers veiws on this subject , thank you for sharing yours , i will remember it when driving and maybe act differently when thinking upon it in a race

Calum

Renault F1 tm

EDIT : for first sentance , i am talking about insults lol
What makes me smile is comments like "use common sense/use your
head". Surely most here realise how that can be the cause of problems.
Common sense is very subjective and often implies that YOU are the one
using common sense and others must be stupid or something for not
thinking the same. I prefer the term gentlemen racer .

For the record, when i get a blue flag i usually do one of 2 things, move
to the side before a turn and use the horn to indicate i acknowledge the
blue flag THEN lift off a bit early to leave the corner to the faster car. If
the faster car is not close enough, i will usually try to yield right after the
turn by moving way off the racing line (read: staying on the inside after
the turn and slowing down a bit.). Of course, i prefer to let the guy pass
before the turn since then i can tuck in behind him and possibly draft him
a bit and use him to gain some ground myself without being in his way.
Between you and me, there's much more to be gained by following a faster
racer than by holding him back.

If we are on a straight, then i move off the race line (usually a function
of the upcoming turn) and lift off ONLY if he hasn't passed me before
the next turn. Then, once again, i'll usually tuck in behind him to draft him
a bit. Hey, i'm racing too after all.
Quote from Fonnybone :Of course, i prefer to let the guy pass
before the turn since then i can tuck in behind him and possibly draft him
a bit and use him to gain some ground myself without being in his way.
Between you and me, there's much more to be gained by following a faster
racer than by holding him back.

If we are on a straight, then i move off the race line (usually a function
of the upcoming turn) and lift off ONLY if he hasn't passed me before
the next turn. Then, once again, i'll usually tuck in behind him to draft him
a bit. Hey, i'm racing too after all.

In a non-downforce car, am I right? Because with downforce, good luck even staying on the track...

I always try to let someone lap me by going wide through a turn... This way (if it's done right), you're just behind the faster driver at corner exit, allowing you to use the slipstream to gain a little advantage (don't lap back though, there's a reason why you got lapped )...
Quote from Dupson :Sorry bud , but for me you re typical example od ar*ehole.

Explanation.

Race is in progress and two drivers have been having a close battle for 1st place since 4 laps. Then some prick gets on their way and literally "reall dont do anything different to be honest" and he ruines race of both of them cause usually one of them is blocked/bumped/crashed and second wins without any fight. You propably never had a good battle that lasts for all the race. So.. heres a recipe :

1.Go to a dark room
2. get some ear plugs
3. focus really hard
4 think about above situation "wouldnt be fair to get off the way and let them have fun??? would be??"

hope you ll get to proper conclusion .. or you re just another prick.. so a good person for a ban.

You really don't get it do you m8!
Quote from Becky Rose :The important thing I reckon is too often forgotten about being blue flagged is that it doesn't mean the other guy demands right of way over you. It means that it isn't worth racing the guy - let him go, it's not worth the lost time to race somebody on a different lap.

But this is a very good point.

Sometimes I let faster drivers past even if they are on the same lap as me. It saves me losing loads of time trying to drive defensive lines and not being able to use all the track.
#61 - Vain
I view it like this:
If the one behind me is faster I should let him pass because I'll just loose time fighting him off. If he isn't faster I will get my position back anyway.

Vain
Quote from Vain :I view it like this:
If the one behind me is faster I should let him pass because I'll just loose time fighting him off. If he isn't faster I will get my position back anyway.

Vain

I think everyone is entitled to fight for his position. It doesn't give me (or the person behind me) any rights to get pass as soon as possible. If you both can handle the situation and are aware of the situation I see no reason to let anyone pass without a fight.

Anyone who can drive safely (knows the track, is familiar with the car and knows the places) doesn't need to let pass anyone, imho.
#63 - Vain
When I actually see a possibility to gain a position by fighting back that car behind me I will surely do so. That way I gained the 3rd position in the 60 Lap ATC on Westhill Rev against much faster drivers . It wasn't that easy to drive 30 laps with someone (who's a second per lap faster) knawling on my bumper, but I do fight for my position when it makes sense. But I will also see when it doesn't make sense and wait for my time. It's just a matter of "Is it worth the risk?".

Ah, that ATC I spoke about was a nice race. Greets Dadge!

Vain
#64 - Jakg
one thing i find is that on some servers where i join mid-race, a driver is just behind me, but cannot get pst and as my tires warm up i start to pull away, of course, the person behind drafts back behind me, and as i pull away again they shout "Blue flag - move it n00b" or something similar, even though they cant catch me!
Quote from Jakg :one thing i find is that on some servers where i join mid-race, a driver is just behind me, but cannot get pst and as my tires warm up i start to pull away, of course, the person behind drafts back behind me, and as i pull away again they shout "Blue flag - move it n00b" or something similar, even though they cant catch me!

That's kind of missing the point i think, the driver behind you isn't supposed to have to race you to get past, of course, if you're obviously just leaving him behind right away it's silly to obey the flag since it will do neither of you any good.

If a driver is giving you a blue flag, and is close enough to be in your slipstream, it's past time to let him go already, imho.
If you mid-race join, you should not put yourself in a position to have someone directly behind you. You should STOP at the end of pitroad and wait for the racers to clear before pulling out. Then tag along behind not interfering with their race at all as you ARE NOT RACING. Respect needs to be given to those who were there at the start of the race and midjoiners need to stay clear and not interfere. That is why people put the no mid-race join up on the servers. It's very annoying to those who do respect the race in progress and wait, but it is neccessary due to those who think they can jump in and run with the pack.

If you can't wait freakin 5 or 10 minutes until another race starts, then sheesh, go offline and race by yourself. This running out on the track infront of the racers really gets to me.
Perhaps we need a brown flag, which means that you have unfairly called someone an arsehole and need to apologize at the first opportunity. Good to see Dupson responding to the brown flag without too much delay there.

And Jak, I agree with Mike on this issue -- what the hell are you doing mid-race joining and then allowing yourself to be in a spot where someone is on your tail?
Very interesting reading.

I have a question I have been wondering about:

I once experienced a faster driver getting upset by the fact that I was too long to let him pass - maybe I was, but maybe he was being too intolorent, as I suspect he was.

When the race was over he told me to pull over - even STOP entirely when receiving the blue flag.

My own logic says it's a very bad thing to do and in the end, has nothing to do with racing - but.. thats just me - what the word on this one?

Anotyher thing:

Something similar (documentation) regarding negotiating corners would be appretiated too. I see way too many ppl ignoring the racing line (and the fact that they are clearly behind another car), and head straight for the apex (sharp turns) - only to force the faster driver (the one on the correct racing line) to brake hard and by doing so gain a position or more. I find this behavior rude, but I don't know the exact rules - would appretiate some reading on this also - in another topic ofcouse.
Quote from r4ptor :I once experienced a faster driver getting upset by the fact that I was too long to let him pass - maybe I was, but maybe he was being too intolorent, as I suspect he was.When the race was over he told me to pull over - even STOP entirely when receiving the blue flag.

Just another silly driver thinking the blue flag is a magic pass-when-you-like ticket. Pulling over can be hazardous to other drivers, and stopping of course even more so.
Yeah, when given a blue flag, pick a line and STAY ON IT (when the lapping car is near enough)... By doing this, the lapping driver can lap you safely because he knows where you are... Braking and crossing the ideal line just to stay on the wide side of turns makes you unpredictable/more dangerous than you have to be...

And believe me, almost (if not even) all of us encountered such an idiot at least once...
Quote from r4ptor : Something similar (documentation) regarding negotiating corners would be appretiated too. I see way too many ppl ignoring the racing line (and the fact that they are clearly behind another car), and head straight for the apex...

Hi Raptor. If you google for "GPL recommended driver behaviour" you'll get an excellent guide to corner rights and motor racing etiquette. Sounds like exactly what you're looking for. (The hard part is getting the other guy to read it too, sadly.)

www.asrg.org/gpl/gplac/rec_dvr_beh/rec_driver_beh.htm

Cheers,
Jason.
Thanks jtr99,

I already have the guide bookmarked. It's a very good guide.

The reason I was asking was because I se lots of ppl - even faster driver behave the opposite way.

I would say it a very dirty way to race - crossing ur racing line and force you to brake hard - or staying next to you even though they have a big dissadvantage of beeing there - but they pursist... accident happends... and they are the once to bitch about it

I just dont think it's fun at all.
Agreed, raptor. These people probably also push to the front in the queue at the all-you-can-eat buffet, so what can we do? Just smile and wave, as Mr. Funnybear would say, and keep looking for a server with nicer people on it.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG