The online racing simulator
FBM Cockpit view - What's the best comprimise?
I've got one slight niggle with the otherwise flawless FBM, and for me it's the cockpit view. I drive in cockpit view religiously in every car and always have done, but I find it hard in the FBM, reason being as follows...

If I have a wider field of view, so in effect sit further back, I can see both of the wingmirrors in full, yet if I look left/right, all I get it the bodywork staring me in the face and blocking my view completely. So to counter this I'll decrease my field of view, effectively moving me forwards in the seat, and when I look to either side in this position I can actually see clearly as the bodywork is lower. However, this stops me being able to see either wing mirror.

So I haven't found a position that suits me best - both for side visibility and wingmirror visibility. As a result I find huge blind spots, sometimes engulfing two cars. This means I'm not confident at all when in a close racing situation, especially somewhere like the first corner, and have resulted to driving in chase cam view when racing gets close which I hate and, to be honest, royally suck at.

So to conclude is there anyone that has a 'magic formula', or is it really a case of finding the best comprimise, like the title suggests?

Fin.
FOV does not affect your ability to see over the bodywork.
Move the view forward instead changing the FOV?
Quote from Crashgate3 :Move the view forward instead changing the FOV?

Can't believe I didn't think of that. Just been trying it out online now and it's much, much better (although I still suck in the FBM).

Thanks very much Crashgate.
#5 - TG44
or higher up?
I'll give that a go as well, thanks, but I don't want to feel like I'm riding above the action. We'll see...
Quote from Minimaxman :I'll give that a go as well, thanks, but I don't want to feel like I'm riding above the action. We'll see...

You don't need to adjust the seat/view 50cm higher

I think 5 to 10 cm would do the job
I have a similar issue on the rare occasions I venture into the BF1. I have to make it slightly higher than default so that I can see a decent amount of the road in front of me.

FoV is rarely a good way of getting more visibility. Height is usually a better way to go. Maybe with a slight change to FoV alongside it.
#9 - Ped7g
Well, you know, it's like that in real car, you hardly see anything at side.

I'm not saying that you should not adjust your position if you feel so, I'm just assuring you it's not a bug or a problem with cockpit modelling. Feel free to adjust to a position you like. At least you are not risking head injury at PC; as you would in real life by moving forward/above of those sides. But keep in mind others may have limited vision, so the racing is still difficult and best results (in terms of fun) are achieved only if all racers have enough respect for others and do leave some room in case they are not sure.
I find the FBM view fine, but i boosted my BF1 view up by 0.02m

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG