The online racing simulator
Cheap Motorsport's ?
(12 posts, started )
Cheap Motorsport's ?
Well i'v had a look around but i havnt seen any thread that's got information on cheap motorsport racing. Iv been looking around google(God I love that site lol) and have seen plenty that are between £5,000-£10,000 per year.

Its 'cheap'..but not that cheap.

So i was wondering if any of you guys have experienced/seen/know of cheap forms of motorsport, say for up to a few
grand a season/year.

Be nice to start a discussion abotu it because im sure theres loadsa people out in the LFS community that would like to race but think its way too expensive. I mean I know even in the most basic championship theres guna be someone with more money than you put into his season/pocket/car and will proberly be faster. But I just wana race for the thrill of it, for the enjoyment of it.

I have a full time job now so i have a steady income and would be capable of paying for something like this as i dont really have to much else to spend my money on bar my gf and she gets a dam sight too much of it!

Thanks for reading my essay.

replies appreciated.

Jay
Does that include the price of a car? You could a Formula Vauxhall Lotus for less than £5k, ready to race, on the button, and race it for about £3000 per year if you're careful, do all the work yourself, and don't crash (or use brand new tyres).

In tintops, there are things like Fiestas and the like about for almost nothing (~£2k), which can be raced for the same amount again, if you're careful...

Check out www.racecarsdirect.net, and see what your next car could be. Then find somewhere to race it - the 750MC is considered one of the cheaper of the 'big' clubs, and they run races for almost any sort of car.

You could try karting, as F1 drivers smile when they remember when they were 6 years old. But they also got out of the shitty little weedy things as soon as they possibly could. The pinnacle of motorsport is DTM, F1, GP2 etc, not go-karts. Just bear that in mind when you decide to take part in the pre-teens sport of karting, and save it for piss abouts with your mates.
Yeah I think what id like to do is get a little hatchback and race in some sort of season. Be the easiest thing to do.

What i wanted to find was links/sites of season's/championships that I could participate in.

FYI Im over 18 and have Drivign licence. I know if have to get a Racign Licence and what not. Just saying so someone doesnt link me to the saxmax racing series.

EDIT. Lets call it 5k for the car and season. 1.5/2k for car proberly. It proberly wont happen. eve nI think thats too low.

Mabey lawnmower racing.... =]

/me Googles
If fun is your game then has to be karting without a doubt. Best bang for buck. Its no coincidence most F1 drivers talk about their karting days with a HUGE smile on their face.

You get a MASSIVE amount of track time (no waiting about twiddling your thumbs), a friendly () community, and you get to drive some of the best drivers vehicles on earth And a minor scrape isn't going to cost your seasons budget. I am pretty confident a kart would lap considerably faster than most of those expensive cars as well Well I know I have seen it myself

Wombwell isn't too far from you, and neither is Three Sisters

http://www.mbkartclub.com/
http://www.southyorkshirekartclub.co.uk/

don't take my word for it go check out a club race see what you think

this is what we call in the trade 'major ownage' - http://www.dailymotion.com/rel ... o/x1ejop_karting-vs-viper just think what it will do round corners just weighing 160kg
Yeah was just looking @ that series+car.

Anyone else got any?

Jay
#7 - ajp71
If racing is your thing then the 750MC is probably the best place to start. Stock hatch, LoCost, MR2s, Golfs, Formula Vee and the Austin 7s could all be raced for under 5k a year and across that selection you've got everything from tin tops to single seaters to vintage racing. Some other series could be worth considering like the BMW E30 championship.

If you're not sure what you want I suggest you go to a few meetings and talk to people and see what the racing is like and find a series that suits you best, a 750 meeting would probably be the best place to start.

If you really want to run something like single seaters (as in F4 or Mono) you could do just about but bear in mind that all racing cars are very high maintenance and require a lot of time away from the track to run yourself.
Thanks ajp! nice link with lotsa information there.

Seems a good option. I think im guna wait till next year before I join anything but I shall buy a/the car this year and prep it.
Bikes are fairly cheap but the learning curve is steep, the mistake threshold is low, and the cost for mistakes is high.

I should be entering my first club race in a little over a month on my 1990 Kawasaki EX500 (500cc liquid-cooled 4-stroke 2-cylinder producing 50HP, bought with 3700 miles for $1800 USD).
mhh karting is not cheaper then car racing. a full season of kart racing will kost you about 7 to 10.000 euro's if you want to compete ( including kart ) there are car classes when u have a full season for 5000 euro's ( about 3500 pounds? )
Quote from henrico-20- :mhh karting is not cheaper then car racing. a full season of kart racing will kost you about 7 to 10.000 euro's if you want to compete ( including kart ) there are car classes when u have a full season for 5000 euro's ( about 3500 pounds? )

Are you comparing like for like there? By my reckoning karting is still the cheapest form of wheel to wheel motorsport you're going to get. Running at the front in the top series of karting costs a lot of money but then running in the top series of car/single seaters costs even more. A lot of people here seem to be comparing top line national karting series to club racing a car... Not to mention when you have contact in a kart, 9 times out of 10 it costs very little to sort, not so when you colide in a car/single seater.

Me and my Dad are working away on a kit car to sprint/hill climb hopefully next year. The car is nearly finished but before we've even started has cost way more than a season of club racing my rotax did. Not like we've gone mad either, it's mostly second hand parts and a lot of DIY!

Karting is the best bang for the buck if you want to race wheel to wheel with people, nothing like it. People aren't scared of racing hard as the chances of totaling your seasons budget in one accident is very unlikely.
I do have to say that! I really do! I hate you english guys for all your cheap motorsport possibilites. In no way we have any of your possibilities here in germany. All these track days and entry series. You want to get track time in Germany? Be aware to spend some 100 euros just for that, excluding car and all the worn out stuff

Even the Nordschleife gets more and more expensive...

Be happy over there

Cheap Motorsport's ?
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG