The online racing simulator
Ignition and Clutch...
(47 posts, started )

Poll : Do you want this in Live For Speed?

Yes Nod
No Uh-hu" />
I don't care Tongue" />
Ignition and Clutch...
In Live For Speed the clutch is automatically pushed in and the accellerator aswell when you press the Ignition button...
In real life, the manual cars need for you to do this yourself (push the clutch in, push the accelerator in and then use the ignition...)

This would only be in manual car with auto-clutch off

I think this would inhance the simulaton experiance, vote on what u think

My real car starts just fine without pushing any pedals. You're advised to dip the clutch but it's not essential.
I would like separate ignition and starter, though.
I suppose it saves a bit of electricity as the starter motor does have to spin half the gearbox aswell as the engine with the clutch pushed in.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :I suppose it saves a bit of electricity as the starter motor does have to spin half the gearbox aswell as the engine with the clutch pushed in.

not really...

Quote from AndroidXP :No, we already had this in another thread. Only cars from countries that deem their people too stupid to handle a manual require you to push the clutch in to start the car.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... 20&highlight=ignition

so every country that exists? all new cars have a neutral safety switch...it is there to prevent damage to the vehicle and/or operator...
No, they don't have to have a must-have-clutch-in in the UK and most of Europe. It's American ambulancechaser-proofing.
#9 - ajp71
Quote from Homeless_Drunk :not really...

It does make a difference on the wear of the starter motor, when you're starting a car it is good practice to declutch.

Quote :
so every country that exists? all new cars have a neutral safety switch...it is there to prevent damage to the vehicle and/or operator...

New cars in the UK do not have this anti-idiot device for the American market.
Quote from ajp71 :It does make a difference on the wear of the starter motor, when you're starting a car it is good practice to declutch.

New cars in the UK do not have this anti-idiot device for the American market.

I know it causes mechanical wear...he was talking about its electrical draw...

I was unaware that the neutral safety switch was only on our side of the pond...guess you learn something new every day
Voted yes, because the ignition aspect needs some improvement. Not necessarily these "don't put a cat into microwave oven" or "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" -type of things, but it doesn't feel like a real starter motor at the moment. You can't crawl forwards with the starter motor, and often the first push of ignition does nothing, and second one always starts the car immediately. Oh, I'd love to see the upcoming damage improvements affect this too

RBR had some kind of variation in the ignition, and it felt much more immersive, even though I believe it was pretty randomly generated, and not calculated in LFS style.
Quote from frokki :and often the first push of ignition does nothing, and second one always starts the car immediately.

it's a key, not a button. you're turning the ignition off, then back on.
#13 - wark
Quote from Homeless_Drunk :it is there to prevent damage to the vehicle and/or operator...

lulz. a strait jacket would work better.
Quote from bunder9999 :it's a key, not a button. you're turning the ignition off, then back on.

Really?
That explains, thanks!

edit: But... Are we then racing the starter motor "on" all the time?
Quote from frokki :You can't crawl forwards with the starter motor

Well, you can, but I think with the updates to the gearbox in patch Y the car won't keep moving as much as it use to.

You can't leave the ignition to start and continously move with the starter. But you can move with continuously hitting the starter.

Have to wait a lap in the replay for when I ran out of my 1% fuel.....
Attached files
Moving with starter.spr - 13.5 KB - 176 views
Quote from wark :lulz. a strait jacket would work better.

yeah...people who depend on that stuff shouldn't be behind the wheel to begin with...
Quote from frokki :Really?
That explains, thanks!

edit: But... Are we then racing the starter motor "on" all the time?

do you mean "is the starter on all the time"? no. i think its only active when the button is pressed down. but don't hold me to that, i didn't code it.
I hate newer cars sold here because of the idiot proofing they have, and it seems to get worse by the year.

now they have cars with rev limiters that let you flatshift! They don't cut ignition, they limit the revs so the car will go from one gear to another without jumping, and you don't have to release the throttle, ever.
It's like they want people to be idiots.
#19 - FL!P
Quote from DragonCommando :It's like they want people to be idiots.

Of course! Idiots are more likely to pay for something they don't need.
Quote from DragonCommando :I hate newer cars sold here because of the idiot proofing they have, and it seems to get worse by the year.

now they have cars with rev limiters that let you flatshift! They don't cut ignition, they limit the revs so the car will go from one gear to another without jumping, and you don't have to release the throttle, ever.
It's like they want people to be idiots.

that explains why some "idoits" don't know why their clutch dies so fast in live for speed
#21 - JJ72
Quote from wheel4hummer :I would like separate ignition and starter, though.

yup. I want my fuel pump, magneto switch, engine primer and all that as well.
Quote from JJ72 :yup. I want my fuel pump, magneto switch, engine primer and all that as well.

Well, on the appropriate cars at least. I want all of the knobs and buttons on the BF1 wheel to work.
I want people who would understand that the street vehicles in LFS are far from modern. How the hell would they have sensors that would tell if the clutch pedal is pressed...
Quote from Qvarnis :I want people who would understand that the street vehicles in LFS are far from modern. How the hell would they have sensors that would tell if the clutch pedal is pressed...

It's a simple push toggle switch mounted below the clutch pedal. Been around far longer than the era of cars that LFS simulates.
Quote from mrodgers :It's a simple push toggle switch mounted below the clutch pedal. Been around far longer than the era of cars that LFS simulates.

Yeah, but I don`t know any so called normal cars from that age which would have one and would resemble in any way with the cars that are in LFS.

Ignition and Clutch...
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG