The online racing simulator
Turbo charger improvement
(132 posts, started )
Quote from DragonCommando :

Generaly high performance race cars won't need boost controlers, unless they are bracket racing drag cars. If you have a boost controler on a road car, it's simply for show and serves no function other than to say "I have a boost controler, I'm cool":rolleyes:

What the hell are you talking about?! Why would a race car/road car not need a boost controller? Do you think they just magically stop building boost?

Every turbocharged vehicle needs some type of boost controller. Whether it be electronic, manual or just the wastegate spring.

Quote :The blow off valve serves a completely different function and controls boost during throttle off, there are no servos or switches of any kind on the bov, just a single vacuum line going to the intake after the throttle plate.

So what exactly are you saying here? Is controlling boost a different function than controlling boost?

But seriously the Bov does not technically control boost it just releases the positive pressure from the charge pipes to prevent surge. And provides that wicked sound everyone loves so much.:riceboy:
I think by boost controller he meant the electronic version, and wasn't referring to the obligatory wastegate.

I don't love the sound of atmospheric blow off valves. They generate the sound known to me as 'pure moron'. Only an idiot would fit one on a road car in place of a recirculating valve.
Quote from tristan :I don't love the sound of atmospheric blow off valves. They generate the sound known to me as 'pure moron'. Only an idiot would fit one on a road car in place of a recirculating valve.

I know what you mean, Mine is recirculated before the compressor. I was looking for a sarcasm/ rolls eyes smiley to put after that.

Maybe this one will work ---->:riceboy:

Back on topic though I'm sure just about every race car is using a 3 way electronic boost control valve that is controlled by the engine management. Wastegates generally do not provide accurate boost control when using just the spring.
Quote :Wastegates generally do not provide accurate boost control when using just the spring.

It do the job for reasonably boosted engine (like most regular road cars).
Quote from 1303s_vortech :It do the job for reasonably boosted engine (like most regular road cars).

It does indeed for low exhaust output road cars.
Car without turbo go Vroom....Car With turbo go VOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.......

Srry Couldnt help Myself..
Quote from tristancliffe :I think by boost controller he meant the electronic version, and wasn't referring to the obligatory wastegate.

I don't love the sound of atmospheric blow off valves. They generate the sound known to me as 'pure moron'. Only an idiot would fit one on a road car in place of a recirculating valve.

Thats exactly what I meant, and I agree about the blow off valves as well. I hate that sound almost as much as I hate the sound of a car without any valve. Compressor surge/stall is bad, period. If your car makes a funny fluttering sound when you let off the throttle, there is something wrong.
The most obvious way to show that the turbo isn't modeled realistically is to take a car like the XRR up to 100 mph in 6th and, while leaving the throttle open, toggle the ignition on and off. This will roughly simulating a diesel engine which doesn't have a throttle, just variable amounts of fuel injection. In real life the turbo will vary in speed significantly when the fuel is toggled on and off, however in LFS it's only affected by RPM and throttle.
hahahahahahahahhahahahaahahah

jajajajajajajajajajajjajajajaja

fuk this is amusing to read
i thought i was dumb (maybe i still am )

their is many ways to controle boost and vary intake pressures but personaly id prefer a externaly wastegate or even 2 on a 4 inch dump with a 2 and a half inch wastegate pipe but thats costly and ilegal here
Quote from MAD3.0LT :hahahahahahahahhahahahaahahah

their is many ways to controle boost and vary intake pressures but personaly id prefer a externaly wastegate or even 2 on a 4 inch dump with a 2 and a half inch wastegate pipe but thats costly and ilegal here

2 wastegates? You can't mean on the same turbo, that would be completely pointless. One wastegate, controlled by the management computer, is all you need. And all I've ever seen on turbo charged race cars. That means no fancy crap that lets you change boost from inside the car either, boost controlers are useless if the engine management can do it already.
Quote from DragonCommando :2 wastegates? You can't mean on the same turbo, that would be completely pointless. One wastegate, controlled by the management computer, is all you need. And all I've ever seen on turbo charged race cars. That means no fancy crap that lets you change boost from inside the car either, boost controlers are useless if the engine management can do it already.

Dual waste gates are common when you have a highly modified car running a lot of boost.You would normally use two waste gates when one cannot flow enough to maintain a specific boost preasure; What tends to happen is the boost pressure starts to creep until it goes kaBoooM boOOm.
Quote from MAD3.0LT :hahahahahahahahhahahahaahahah

Everything I hear from you is blablabla.
Quote from lalathegreat :What tends to happen is the boost pressure starts to creep until it goes kaBoooM boOOm.

That's what overboost protection is for. I believe that Subaru has a system on their turbocharged vehicles where the fuel is cut if the boost gets to high, in case the wastegate somehow fails.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk8em2rhmRk
If you can fit 2 wastegates, you can fit one big one. This is even more true on high boost applications where the turbo and exhaust will be much bigger.

I have only ever seen dual waste gates on dual turbo systems with a small and large turbo.

Unless you are talking about dual port external wastegates, but to my knowlege, the second port serves a different function and isn't needed for proper functionality of the wastegate.
Often two smaller valves will be easier to package than one big one, and give the same skirt area as the big one. It's the same reason multivalve cylinder heads have two or more smaller valves instead of one big one.
Thats true, but in the case of a waste gate, its easier to manage one, so one big one will generaly be better than 2 smaller ones. All you have to do to contol boost is control pressure on one valve, and generaly, the less moving parts, the more reliable it will be.
Dual wastegates are actually very common. And they are almost required for split-pulse manifolds.
lol na i did mean 2 wastegates on the 1 turbo but the ones im talking about are EXTERNAL ones that mount on the side of the dump pipe from the turbo i see it done on ALOT of high HP cars cause they flow so much air that one 54mm wastegate cant release the presure quick enough

and Mikkel Petersen all i here from u is whining like a female
Quote from MAD3.0LT :lol na i did mean 2 wastegates on the 1 turbo but the ones im talking about are EXTERNAL ones that mount on the side of the dump pipe from the turbo i see it done on ALOT of high HP cars cause they flow so much air that one 54mm wastegate cant release the presure quick enough

and Mikkel Petersen all i here from u is whining like a female

There is no reason for a wastegate to mount on the dump/exhaust. Where they mount is the opposite of a dump.

Also It doesnt have very much to do with releasing pressure quickly. If a wastegate cannot flow well enough especially on a large turbo/low boost setup you will suffer from boost creep at higher rpms/engine load.
#96 - T.J.
It is a bit more realistic turbo-lag in Patch Z
Quote from T.J. :It is a bit more realistic turbo-lag in Patch Z

Yes, Back on topic

I think it's very hard to feel the lag (or lack thereof) in lfs. All of the turbo cars seem to feel "ok" Most stock turbocharged cars do not have very much turbo lag. They have properly sized turbochargers for a daily driving application. It's once you start modifying that lag plays a larger role.

My only problem with the lfs turbocharger is the fact that it builds boost very linear (ly?) It doesnt really seem to grow exponentionally. Not sure how to word it correctly.

edit: I just base this off of memory which is not very good. I would have to drive the tbo cars around a bit to get a feel for the physics of the turbochargers in game before I made any real suggestions for improvements.
Quote from AjRose :There is no reason for a wastegate to mount on the dump/exhaust. Where they mount is the opposite of a dump.

Also It doesnt have very much to do with releasing pressure quickly. If a wastegate cannot flow well enough especially on a large turbo/low boost setup you will suffer from boost creep at higher rpms/engine load.

well i understand ur what ur saying but alot of the 9/8 sec drag cars i see run 2 wastegates on the 2nd dump pipe into the atmosphear
I own an 88 TX3 Turbo and use a T28 turbo and its characteristics are as described in the first post, boost kicks in around the 2000-2500rpm mark. My brother also has the same car but uses a BBT28 and his kicks in a bit earlier.

For lag to be useable and realistic in LFS you would have to determine what size turbo and specifically sort would be modelled on to the car(bigger turbo, longer the lag - smaller turbo not as much but top end boost is normally over). Then take into account the displacement size of the engine and so on.

Im yet to use any of the turbo cars because im only a demo user but once i purchase my s2 ill come back with my thoughts

Turbo charger improvement
(132 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG