The online racing simulator
Computer fails to start after Windows update
Hello

I bought a new MB (EVGA nforce 780i SLi) and a new CPU (Intel core duo 8400), and got it all working nicely with the rest of my hardware earlier today. Installed Vista home premium, together with the MB drivers. Restarted the computer and everything was still running flawlessly. I then connected to the web and downloaded the graphics drivers for my two 8800GTS cards. Windows Update also started downloading a good amount of updates. When it was done, i restarted to finish off the updates and the installation of the graphics drivers. But the computer now won't boot. All of the hardware starts to run (fans, GPU's, HDD's etc) but there are no "beep" that usually comes from the mb on startup, and the screen stays black. i've got one blue led, one green led and one orange led that turns on when i press the power button. I've tried removing one of the GPU's, one of the RAMs and i've also removed both of my HDD's without any luck.

Rest of my HW:

Crucial DDR2 BallistiX PC8500 2048MB two matched 1024
Gainward GeForce 8800GTS 640mb
XFX Geforce 8800GTS 640mb
PSU: 700W About half a year old.

Any tips greatly appreciated

btw i'm quite used with having computers that wont start: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=35101
You've probably done this, but instead of removing just one stick of RAM, try swapping the remaining one, and if that doesn't work, try both sticks, one at a time, in different slots on the mobo. Dunno what else you could do other than that. Maybe try reseating the CPU?

I've had issues with updates as well recently.

Yesterday morning I turned on my laptop, connected to my wireless, and found that I had no internet connection. It didn't say "limited or no connectivity" but my instant messenger, weather, or browser simply wouldn't connect. After work I tried EVERYTHING to get it to work with no success. Then I got a call from my roommate from college this year, telling me that he had no internet connection. Tried my desktop computer, and found that that had no internet either. Then my sister told me same with HER laptop. Then it occurred to me that I had been seeing a LOT of windows updates this week (like one a day at least.) Looked online and sure enough, one of the updates kills your connection if you use ZoneAlarm, and you have to turn the firewall setting down to medium to get it working. Strange.
I now placed one of the rams in another slot, and on the little LED display on the MB it now shows "10". This is a error code that stands for "Autodetect EEPROM". I have no clue what that means though... The LED display showed "FF" yesterday with the RAMs correctly placed. "FF" stands for "Boot".

EDIT: I tried my luck and connected my USB keyboard + mouse and pressed the start button. And then i suddenly got the little beep from the MB and the startup texts finally showed up on the screen. I pressed F1 to continue to startup (maybe i should have pressed DEL to enter BIOS), and then i was left with a message saying that there was an error connecting to the boot hard drive. I pressed enter and the screen went black again. When i now try to turn the comp. on again, the story is the same as when i started the topic. Bah...this is horrible!

EDIT2: Finally.....I reset the cmos and the computer finally started. When i tried to load windows from the hard drive i got this message: "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selcted boot disk. Check boot patch and disk hardware.Please check the windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information"

I then sat the dvd rom to the first boot priority and inserted the vista disk. That worked, and i'm now reinstalling windows. Hurray, problem solved
Well, keep your fingers crossed. Sounds almost like the EEPROM chip in the mobo might be a bit loopy...

...that or you just had a strange, now solved, hardware issue.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG