The online racing simulator
points system
(6 posts, started )
#1 - Cr45h
points system
Hi all.

I hope this is the right place to ask.

Well... With my team, we're going to set up a championship. Our idea was to do a little standings (out of the main champ) while doing prequalify. I mean, a series of small races (under 10 laps) in "training mode" and to give points automatically as every race finishes, to improve drivers training themself on the server instead of offline mode.

The problem is that i don't know how to do it, and how to automatize it.

I think there should be some sort of program that takes the data as races finishes and, based on the final standing, give the points. And, finally, users can show the standings on an easy-to-use interface directly inside LFS, typing some special command (ex: $stands).

Do u think it should be possible to do this kind of integration or i'm asking too much?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cr45h
It's entirely possible to do, although is going to require a significant amount of work to acheive.

Are you looking for someone to do the bulk of the programming work, or were you hoping for advice of how to acheive it yourself? (I can't be bothered to write a huge response if you're looking for someone - I'll just move it to the requests forum if that's the case).
I'd love any insight you have in the best way of handling this, the_angry_angel. I originally planned on trying to add this functionality into LFSLapper, but decided I'd just start working on my own app from scratch and learn C# in the process (Moderately skilled c/c++ game coder with *very* rudimentary networking knowledge).

Still just poking through a few "Learn C#" type books at the moment, while browsing through various threads to pick up information on insim.

Right now I'm looking for the best way to grab the following information for each driver at race end... Whether he started the race, finished the race, and finishing position. At the moment I think I'm just confusing myself looking between the insim documentation and the various insim libraries I was considering using.Combined with my lack of network coding experience it has me scratching my head a bit.

Any info you (or anyone...) could share on best practices to collect the above mentioned info would be greatly appreciated.
#4 - Cr45h
Well, the idea to have the program work sounds good , but of course i know that's not easy to start creating the program from 0.

So, as i really don't know where to start, any kind of suggestion is really appreciated.
Yes,

Do not build as InSim library from scratch, especially if you have no network expertise, rather if you are using C# see the libraries and use sdether's excellent .NET InSim library.

Also you could look at Gai-Lauran(sp?)'s take over of the LFS stats InSim app and see what is going on in there for generating the stats.

But yes, it essentially means tracking the race start packet, saving off the starting positions, and then waiting til you get the race end packets. You can then compute your points or whatever you want to do, and then with LFS buttons write that out to the screen or whatever.

Quote from MadMac :Right now I'm looking for the best way to grab the following information for each driver at race end... Whether he started the race, finished the race, and finishing position. At the moment I think I'm just confusing myself looking between the insim documentation and the various insim libraries I was considering using.Combined with my lack of network coding experience it has me scratching my head a bit.

Any info you (or anyone...) could share on best practices to collect the above mentioned info would be greatly appreciated.

#6 - Cr45h
Hmmm... I'll take a look and i'll let u know...

Thanks for the help.

points system
(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG