The online racing simulator
Random Crash to Desktop.
(10 posts, started )
Random Crash to Desktop.
I keep getting random crashes to desktop from a race (do not occur from title menus). I was running an older version of LFS, but then I updated, problem was still there. So I completely uninstalled, and downloaded the latest version (not using a patch this time). Problem still exists. I don't have the full version, but I don't want to buy it if it quits on me every 5-20 minutes.

I have the latest drivers for my monitor, video card, and wheel.

Athlon XP 2700+
Geforce 6600 GT
1.5gig ram
Logitec Wingman Formula GP

I've been searching around here, but have not seen anything about this issue. Please help.

-Travis
By the way, I used to have the S1 Demo, and played that for hours at a time w/o issue. I have since upgraded my video card, and got a ton more ram.

Anyone have any suggestions?
#3 - ORION
I would bet that your ram is not stable.
download memtest and check it.
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/MemTest.zip

You can also check your GFX card with ATI tool (also on nvidia cards - click scan for artifacts), or check the CPU with super_pi.

Or just run some other benchmarks
i am getting the same problem, it didn't used to happen so its a new bug.

ran memtest, all was fine.

plz help lfs gods!!!

game was running perfectly until a month ago?
#5 - ORION
also try other tools, or run some heyvy generic benchmarks. 3dmark is a good mainstream one to test your system, but super_pi or prime95 can cause more stress for the hardware.
Just google for them
System is 100% stable running 3DMark, and playing games that require a lot more power (Doom 3, Battlefield 2, F.E.A.R.), not to mention FEA and UGNX3 Modeling.

I tried to replicate the problem last night, but no luck.
#7 - filur
Quote from ProDarwin :System is 100% stable running 3DMark, and playing games that require a lot more power (Doom 3, Battlefield 2, F.E.A.R.)

Good looking != more power

Nothing in "deb.txt" ?
No drwatson report thingie ("would you like to send an error report" etc.) ?
Hmm... didn't know to check deb.txt. Just checked, but it shows nothing since the last time I played, the game did not crash (see below).

I do think I may be on to something though... further testing required. Tried running before with and without AI cars (to put more strain on system - I was following the cars to try and get my framerate to drop)... no difference. Crashed both times about 3 laps in... Turned off AOL IM and was able to run about 10 laps with no issues. Quit, but will test more later.

I know good looking != more power. But I do know that my system was unable to run games like those before the serious upgrades, but has always handled LFS with no issues
#9 - ORION
Yea those Games might run better, because they are not so likely to cause ram errors. For example, faster ram timings has quite a huge impact on performance in LFS, compared to other games. where the difference is 0 fps.
Tried ATI tool to scan for artifacts (dont overclock it though! "find max core/mem").
Actually you can only use the mainstream benchmarks to check if your hardware doesnt get too hot, but you cant push it to the limit.
Well, done a bunch of 10 lap races with 7 AIs + myself w/o AOL IM and no issues yet. So I think that's causing it.

Random Crash to Desktop.
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG