The online racing simulator
Small H-shifter question.
Can you make a H-shifter with this:

cause most people say you'd best use a gamepad to make a H-shifter, and I got this ... THING (6 years old or something)
so can I use this?
#2 - Vain
You can actually use anything with 6 seperate buttons.
And from looking at the picture it has those, though it might turn out to be a hassle to get the steering-axis appart without violating the wiring to get the remaining two buttons beside the four on the right hand side.
(Are those blue things on the front-side of the gamepad buttons? If those are buttons you can use them and making a H shifter from those should be as easy as with every other gamepad.)

Though I'd suggest a FFB-shifter, they are less work and feel better (depends on the amount of work you put into your non-FF-shifter).

Vain
On top they have L1, L2, R1 and R2
and on the front they have START and SELECT...
that are 6 buttons... :-)
so... does that mean it MAY work...
cause i can find a real shiftertop for €6,- @ the local petrol station.
and i only need a (plastic) tube and those clips...

I don't really want less work, i mean, i have that gamepad, and i'm just 14...
so i don't want to spend 100 dollars for it ;-) like act labs...
And that thing is something i don't use anymore, and else i have 2 buy a whole new thing!

(sry for double post...)
#5 - Vain
I only suggested the FFB-shifter because I like mine. Spend 30€ on it and it worked without any craftsmanship involved . But I don't have the necessary tools, so I don't have the possibility to really make a H-shifter by myself.

Note that you may also need a seventh button for either reversed or to trigger reversed. The seventh one isn't absolutely necessary because reversed is rarely used and a keyboard-key that triggers first gear to reverse is just as good.
Did you take a look into the custom hardware-section of rsc?

Vain
I didn't really looked at the custom hardware-section.
but I will check it.

i can't see/find it...
#7 - Vain
You mean the FFB-shifter?
No, you just get a forcefeedback joystick from a random manufacturer, like Logitech, and tell it to act like a 6-gears shifter using a software that can be found on the rsc-forums.
Works like a charm.

Vain
Quote from Vain :You mean the FFB-shifter?
No, you just get a forcefeedback joystick from a random manufacturer, like Logitech, and tell it to act like a 6-gears shifter using a software that can be found on the rsc-forums.
Works like a charm.

Vain

i meant the custom hardware things...
but i'll just use mine without FF.
would be cool though.
But the problem is, if i had an FF joystick, and i would mess it up totally...
it wouldn't be nice for my money...
Is there a step by step manual for building a H-shifter?
I have saw one, but there are too many other topics here.

edit: is there an easy way too make a third clutch pedal too?
i have got 4 pedals...
2 from the MOMO FF
2 from logitech wingman... but the throttle pedal is broken of... so actually 1...

sry if my english is bad...
#10 - Vain
1. Hook up with the rsc-forums custom hardware-section. There are lots of threads where people discribed how they built their shifter from a gamepad. Some really complex, some easier.
All in all, you will be likely to come up with your own design, inspired by other people's design, for example the picture you posted (that design looked good, with those clips inside the gates as connectors).
2. About the pedal: Once again, you can copy most of the design from other people over at the rsc-forums.
I have a MOMO Force, and a spare potenzometer from my FFB-shifter, so I'm in a similar situation like you. I think about turning the MOMO-pedals with the footrest pointing upwards and use the current break and gas as break and clutch. Then I'd place a third pedal made from the pot and place it right of the MOMO pedals as the new gas-pedal.
But I'd suggest you to open your wingman-pedals, remove all the throttle-pedal-stuff and saw the remainders in two between throttle and break. Then place the break-part left of the MOMOs and fix it with something in place. A wooden frame, glue, chewing gum, whatever.
Then plug the Wingman-pedal-remainder to your windman-steering wheel, plug the wingman to the usb-port and recalibrate the pedals. Then make LFS use the break-axis of the wingman as clutch. Voila, a clutch pedal.

My suggestion is to read about how other people's ideas turned out on the rsc-forums and then decide what will work out for you.

Vain
OK!

you really helped me out! :-D
I had a question though...
I can use the right 4 buttons, the top 4 buttons, the start and select don't I?
#13 - Vain
Yes, you can use any button on the gameport.
The only necessity is that you can wire the button correctly. That means the wires need not to be integrated into any silicon wafer or so (so you can apply you own wiring).

Vain
Ok, but on the custom hardware thing, I can't really find a simple, cheap H-shifter manual, and i can find nothing for a gamepad compared like mine...
so... how can I fix that, cause I don't really know how to do all the wiring and stuff.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :Ok, but on the custom hardware thing, I can't really find a simple, cheap H-shifter manual, and i can find nothing for a gamepad compared like mine...
so... how can I fix that, cause I don't really know how to do all the wiring and stuff.

bump.

(sorry)

cos i got vacation and i now got the time...
#16 - Vain
All gamepads are about the same so you won't need a specific construction for that exact gamepad.

And on the manual-topic: Well, you'll need to be able to build a wooden box by yourself, yes.
There is no "put nail here"-like tutorial, more like "Hey, I found out it's good to buy metal clips and wire them to the negative side of the buttons and use the metal knob as mass".

Vain
o ok...
I will TRY to make a H-shifter this vacation then...
I HOPE it will work... (I'm not that technical...)
so, if I'm right, the 1,2,3,4,5 and 6/R hooks thing, must be the + thing,
and the gear lever must be the -?
#19 - Vain
Usually, yes.

Vain

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG