The online racing simulator
We need decent ovals and appropriate cars, plus some physics improvements before Oval racing can be taken seriously in LFS.
we need a stock car version of the XRR and a short oval.
anyways is CTRA ever adds 2 or 3 oval servers i will be happy to join and work my way up the ranks
I agree with the above Moose on physics, aerodynamics and draft forces are not yet at the level needed for this very specific type of racing.
Collision system improvement (on its way it seems ) is also necessary, as well as aerodynamics affecting damage.
Before that is done oval racing in LFS will feel strange and arcade-ish I think. I see no point in adding it to CTRA at the moment (not that my opinion affects CTRA decisions in any way )
Quote from Mille Sabords :as well as aerodynamics affecting damage

That is already there (at least as far as the possibilities of acquiring damage is concerned, however not damage as in overheating, etc), the other way around is severely lacking. But yeah, currently oval racing in LFS cannot really be called a simulation when the effects of a major part like drafting, for example, are half-implemented at best.
Well, after all i've never have expected myself to agree with becky on something, although her opinion has changed for the good about this topic for some reason or another.

Both systems, live adminning and stewarding system have got their up and down sides and i cant imagine and oval server without any admin around for some reason but maybe with an adjusted set of rules and proper conditions it would be, i dont know. But since there is only one oval and not a single car that really suits the oval, mostly because of none realistic aerodynamic settings (at least not completely tbf) and missing suspension/ weight adjustment settings, i can see no point that would make this kind of effort reasonable for the public base.

We are doing it as professional as the situations allows us to without leaving the fun factor out of the equation. Yes, i call a few simple rules applied and observed by live admins professional. As stupid as those rules seem to be for some people (mostly those who never ever set foot on our server actually and/ or dont get the actual purpose behind it) they are essential to obtain the high quality of races, races in which you shouldn't have to fear to have someone standing around the track doing donuts or simular tedious stuff.

Ok i better stop right here before i start knocking about the real unpleasant stuff in this thread. Instead ill just leave a replay

cheers
Attached files
just another race.mpr - 790.4 KB - 138 views
CTRA oval rank if they ever add it. XRG-XRT-FOX-XRR-FO8-BF1
that seems fine.
I like the idea of an oval server. If the admins were nice enough to give it a try, I will be sure to make the best of it.

What if we had an oval server where the cars cycled instead of the track. License requirement based on the race and SS servers. Silver or National B for a minimum. Even a spec setup pack might be helpful to prevent a huge gap in speeds.
Quote from PAracer :I like the idea of an oval server. If the admins were nice enough to give it a try, I will be sure to make the best of it.

What if we had an oval server where the cars cycled instead of the track. License requirement based on the race and SS servers. Silver or National B for a minimum. Even a spec setup pack might be helpful to prevent a huge gap in speeds.

Well said. +1
Quote from PAracer :I like the idea of an oval server. If the admins were nice enough to give it a try, I will be sure to make the best of it.

yes, but i would not like the cars to be cycled there should be deferent servers for that but that would cost alot.
#35 - Jakg
Quote from mutt107 :yes, but i would not like the cars to be cycled there should be deferent servers for that but that would cost alot.

Why would it cost a lot? UKCT (who supply the server for CTRA) own their own box (like Franky owns several) and we have the capability to run many more servers than we currently do - we don't rent them so the cost (over £100 a month :schwitz stays the same no matter what (unless we went kkkkrazy!)
I have always enjoyed oval racing, but frankly the oval in LFS is very lacking and because of the constant speed involved with oval racing you need accurate areo and wing damage which we don't really have yet. Also some critical setup options are not available in LFS yet, a stockcar would be nice =)

When the time comes that oval racing can be done more accuratly I personally would love to see an oval server suite with a license system, but the oval racing just is not there yet.

The same can be said for the drag racing. There are many things that need to be modeled before drag racing becomes the challenge it is in real life and until then I highly doubt that we will create a server suite for them.

I understand that the road racing side of LFS is missing things as well, but IMO this is further on and fairly accurate to a degree we want to provide services to you all for it.

The other part of this is people... we don't have the people to fill the servers we have now, while adding options is great for people, at the end of the day nobody will race if there are only a few people in 40+ servers instead of 12+ people in a few servers. While not ideal I personally would enjoy the latter more.
Quote from Jakg :Why would it cost a lot? UKCT (who supply the server for CTRA) own their own box (like Franky owns several) and we have the capability to run many more servers than we currently do - we don't rent them so the cost (over £100 a month :schwitz stays the same no matter what (unless we went kkkkrazy!)

ok didn't know that lol.
#38 - aoun
If oval, why not drag? Why not MRT autocross racing? Why not Drift? (lol )
Quote from aoun :If oval, why not drag? Why not MRT autocross racing? Why not Drift? (lol )

First thing first is getting the circuit racing system up to par while waiting for Scawen to develop LFS a bit more.
Oh! Here's a left turn! And a left turn! And a left turn again! And a left.....
Oval racing should be endurance racing, to keep it interesting, i think.
#42 - SamH
We could add MRT to the rotation of the Bump and Jump server for certain tracks easily, as things are now. We had lots of plans for the CTRA MRT Cup, as you guys know.. but our priorities changed suddenly when we became involved in the V1 Championship and unfortunately we haven't been able to pick it up again yet. We will, though.. we're beginning to turn our *programming* gaze back to X2, now that the V1 Championship system software is stable and doing its job
Quote from SamH :We could add MRT to the rotation of the Bump and Jump server

Go on then

It would help make BnJ less of a *bangers* server than it sometimes can be.
#44 - SamH
Okay, the MRT is now part of the track cycle. Not using any of the tracks with jumps, however!
#45 - VoiD
Sounds like a good fun!
#46 - aoun
Lol MRT in the BNJ servers? oh noes!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG