The online racing simulator
Google IM Service?
(25 posts, started )
Google IM Service?
I've always liked stuff coming from Google...

I heard rumours about some IM service from Google called 'Google Talk'... it is voice and text messaging.

News reports say it is coming out tomorrow (Wed), but who knows.

http://business.timesonline.co ... e/0,,9076-1747621,00.html

If it is good, and lots of people make the switch, I think I will too. I have too many IM names :o But it depends.
Google is going for world domination. Google for President! .. Hang on, I'm not 'merican. *Chin*.. Google for PM!

Anywho, I'm shocked they haven't already brought out an IM package. It's not a complex task to create one, and for somone like google, it seems a little.. Late. Almost everyone knows what Yahoo is, because of YiM, same for AIM/Aol. Google should've brought out an IM network a long time ago. Such a small, easy task, they are late on the ball with this.

Additionally.. They're going to be hard-pushed to bring out something 'better' than any of the IM'ers already out. There's so many these days, it's a hard market to topple.
Should be an interesting fight with Microsoft's MSNM network. Seems Google just keeps on growing.
this may be an MSN Replacement
Quote from Roadie :this may be an MSN Replacement

Google had better hope not. Microsoft have been known in the past to 'block' software from working on releases of Windows. They say this is to enforce piracy laws (A P2P program came out a long time ago, and it never took off because Windows dissalowed it access to the TCP stack, therefore blocking it from accessing the internet).

And besides, MSN is shipped with windows. MS will ensure nothing could ever 'replace' it. And if they fail, they'll simply start copying it, to try and make MSN look better.
But if they do good with the application right from the start... word of mouth gets fame more than anything.

Google's GMAIL was passed around in a very clever way. Where only select people had it, and it eventually spread, got bigger, and then everyone wanted it.

All the other applications they are affiliated with are great I think. Google Earth is awesome, Picasa, and all the other things they have available are simple yet very useful. And I think Google could make it happen.
I already use Hello by google alot as a messenger. It's a great way to share images.

Edit -

It's out - http://www.google.com/talk/

Sign in with your gmail account.
mm, let's message \o/

Now I'll have to convert my MSN contacts to Google

[edit]
First impression, very nice: no ads, button overload or difficult menus.

Second impression, the contact list option isn't very user-friendly (as is Gmail's)
Not bad...

Very quick and easy to use. Talking to illegal right now... and it has most of the main features I'd want in a chat program... but it still feels like it is lacking in user friendly stuff.

I think it really pays off for voice chat, that might be what Google is trying to pitch with this.

It's ok, I'll use it for a while and see how it goes.
Yep, I am on it too.
Dygear [at] gmail [dot] com
Adding people was very userfriendly to me, I just clicked on them in the contactlist, then I manually added one by typing it, couldnt be more simple.
Same as the program, very easy to use and no bullsh¡t.

I love what Google is doing, making alternatives of Microsoft's monopoly software. Theyre doing a great job and being a pain in the ass opponent.
talking of alternatives, have a look at gaim : http://gaim.sourceforge.net/
It's an open source software (a contrario to softwares provided by google) of very high quality which can be used as Instant Messenger for multiple protocols. I use it for MSN, ICQ and Yahoo, but it has also habiility to handle Jabber and a lot of other ones. I bet it won't be long until it can also handle this new format.
By the way it wors on window and on linux, without pb (great to keep IM on a second screen/kbd while racing on main computer)
ooops....

Great idea for google to rely on such a powerful and open-source protocol... Many clients around, great compatibility, talk has a lot to pass his concurrents (who the hell tuned google with a NOS kit?)
#15 - mr_x
looks really good, anyone know if there are going to be any added features??

im sick of MSNM cutting out randomly, and all the ads that are on it, anyone noticed how there are ads at the bottom of conversation windows now, i keep accidently clicking them when i move the window around the screen! reliability is going down on msn! but google talk seems to be the way forward, im sure itll be like gmail with its reliability, just like MSN is like hotmail in reliability
How do you sign up for gmail account then? As I was to slow ( as per usual ) and missed it

Fordie
Quote from Fordman :How do you sign up for gmail account then? As I was to slow ( as per usual ) and missed it

Fordie

You get invited afaik.
Quote from mr_x :

im sick of MSNM cutting out randomly, and all the ads that are on it, anyone noticed how there are ads at the bottom of conversation windows now

erm that's why I use Trillian instead of that crappy MSN
Quote from Fordman :How do you sign up for gmail account then? As I was to slow ( as per usual ) and missed it

just tell me your mail address and I can invite you
WEEEEE I have one

fordieman ( who took username Fordman )

Speak to somebody soon I guess LOL
As most Google's software, Google Talk is working very inituitively! Only thing it needs is filetransfers wich are expected to be added, and conference calls to be able to chat and speak to several people at the same time.
But I like it already!
I hate how there's so many IM things that people use, none of my friends that I know personally use msn but I have it because everyone in europe that plays lfs uses it and I need it to talk to some people on there sometimes..
Quote from Pabs(Sco) :You get invited afaik.

Its funny how we should talk about open souce software, and someone with the name the letters SCO turns up.

Google IM Service?
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG