The online racing simulator
Darn. i give up on LFS
(72 posts, started )
Quote from Batterypark :I have a black momo as well, but I don't use it for LFS - believe me, I've tried a lot, but I just can't get used to it in LFS.

In RBR, the wheel feels pretty good and I'm much faster there than with my joystick. In LFS, it's the opposite.

Exactly same here. I have Microsoft FF joystick and DFP. I use the joystick in LFS, because I'm faster with it and I also find controlling the car much easier/comfortable with it than with wheel. But in RBR it's the opposite, wheel feels better in it than joystick.
#52 - Vain
I guess the discussion about keyboarders would be pointless if the devs just removed the ability to steer using the keyboard. People would use a mouse, gamepad or wheel and would be happy.

Vain
Quote from Azaazaa :Exactly same here. I have Microsoft FF joystick and DFP. I use the joystick in LFS, because I'm faster with it and I also find controlling the car much easier/comfortable with it than with wheel. But in RBR it's the opposite, wheel feels better in it than joystick.

I find that really weird, myself and Stikyiky were always faster on the wheel and it seemed to open the game up properly. I cant go back to my other control methods as they seem to unrealistic in comparison.

Suppose everyone's different and they have their preference.
#54 - P@ul
Quote from Ziil :Well for some reason I can play LFS with keyboard pretty nicely. People who say it's impossible are just not willing to take the time to actually try and learn to use the keyboard they drive like 2 laps and go "Damn, it's like totally impossible" and when they meet someone online who says they are useing keyboard then "Yea, whatever I know you are actually useing a wheel because it's impossible to drive with keyboard."
I just didn't make those sentences up I have been told similar stuff while playin' I am not saying that I am fast or anything with the keyboard but what I am saying is that it is possible to drive at normal speeds and be competetive online.
my times so far:
BL1
XRT-1:24:64
XFG-1:33:5
and there is still a lil' room for improvment
(I hope you can understand my english )

I'm kb-driver too and have the same opinion!
Question for Ziil and Paul:
You drive anything else then those 2 combo's ?
How much time you spent driving for those times?
Answer honestly and the try the other 744 combo's. Or go drive online on a different combo, or try a league like e.g OLFSL.

Still competitive enough ?
#56 - P@ul
Quote from GianniC :Question for Ziil and Paul:
You drive anything else then those 2 combo's ?
How much time you spent driving for those times?
Answer honestly and the try the other 744 combo's. Or go drive online on a different combo, or try a league like e.g OLFSL.

Still competitive enough ?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand everything.

What combos do you mean?

I'm playing LFS for 1,5 months and prefer the formula racing cars. (If this was asked :shrug
A "combo" is one track/car-COMBination, you drive, e.g. BL1/XFG.

You mean, you drive FO8 with kb?? :eek:
Quote from zeugnimod :
You mean, you drive FO8 with kb?? :eek:

I managed to get 2.17's on FO8 as historic, still 10 secs from WR tho
I only manage to spin out after 50 meters.

Dont think, I could complete one single lap, lol.
#60 - robt
KB is fine for most of the cars....zeug, u want some help? lol i can drive the FO8 fine lol. not exactly fast (1:00 at Fern bay green Rev and 2:10 and kyoto gp long) but still, not exactly years behind (just months) I cant see how people have trouble on kb, i have to use is as i have no room for anything else lol.
#61 - Ziil
Well for me there is this one problem that I'm a demo driver so I have a pretty limited selection about the "combos" I am pretty sure that about 20-40 laps should be enough for me to start getting some "normal" lap times on a new track
Quote from robt :KB is fine for most of the cars....zeug, u want some help? lol i can drive the FO8 fine lol. not exactly fast (1:00 at Fern bay green Rev and 2:10 and kyoto gp long) but still, not exactly years behind (just months) I cant see how people have trouble on kb, i have to use is as i have no room for anything else lol.

lol.

j/k
@ -robt: Clearly some people are talking about just driving around some laps in race and others about driving fast laps, being able to be a thread to the top 5 in a race. I agree you can do "reasonable times" on a certain combo even with rwd, but the gap is still huge, specially on FZR, RA or FO8 for example, not speaking of the XFR then.... And, how many time don't you have to spent to be able to do that "reasonable" time ?! And the 'wheel increases the simulation feeling' arguement, yes yes oké,got a point..but it stay a game, how "realistic" everything may seem!!

But forget it, this is just another thread where everyone thinks "buy a wheel" and for the rest leave us alone. Nothing will be done, barely people want to do something. It's just an endless discussion and there will no 'golden midway' be found..too bad cause that midway does excist I think.

I'll go back into my corner, disappointed -again- about how LFS rejects KB and alternative controller racers.

:ashamed:
#64 - robt
Quote :And, how many time don't you have to spent to be able to do that "reasonable" time ?!

if your asking how long that took......1st flying lap at kyoto gp.

As for the difference between reasonable speed and being fast, its just a matter of using setups, driving lines and driving styles to suit the controller you are using. XFR im not too good in, think i got 8th out of 20drivers in a championship using the XFR. Im also in the top four in an FXO/RB4 championship. But now im straying O/T. I find LFS isn't too bad for people who use KB compared to some games, i havent had a problem. (But then again i found lfs as the S1H patch was released.....so i dont know what it was like before) I have used keyboard, pad and wheel on LFS, i feel comfortable with the wheel, and would be faster with it......but still, im not going to buy a new computer table and chair etc just to make room for the wheel, racing is racing no matter what controller you use.

@AndroidXP - erm, care to explain what on earth you meant?
Your overuse of "lol", lol.
#66 - robt
Yeah bad habit. sorry.
I can confirm that robt is pretty quick with a keyboard. Race with him quite a bit on the CRC Demo server.

Er, or are you NightHawk, or Stoney, or MRooble, who the heck are you?

Bit of an inside joke there .
#68 - P@ul
The kb is quite good for the oval race with the F08.
I can't control a F08 in all other locations too, but the F0X is a great car (for kbers too).

I know that you can't beat wrs with a kb, but it can be fun.

BTW: I'll get a wheel this week. Then I can give my opinion to the differnces.
There are applications available that enable you to use the computer keyboard as a musical keyboard, recording notes into sequencing software such as cubase.

Most musicians tend to go for real keyboards tho.

#70 - P@ul
I made a 43,19sec (F0X / SO Classic) WITH KEYBOARD!
The kb-wr is 42,2 , I think, but now I'm ca. in the averange of wheel-racers on this location.

So I just want to say that keyboarders can have a good chance versus wheel-racers if they train a little bit!
#71 - P@ul
Sorry, it was a 43,54
Just goes to show whats possible with a bit of practice and determination.

Darn. i give up on LFS
(72 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG