The online racing simulator
Question about anti-roll bars...
Do anti-roll bars oscillate, just like a regular spring does? If they do, then what dampens them? Do the struts dampen body roll, and do the springs also slow down body roll?
Well, physically everything does oscillate. Roll bars do this too as they are made of metal like springs and metal is a "springy" material (lol). If you think about the oscillations in a car's suspension the oscillation of the springs and rolld bars are dampened by the shock absorbers and also little by bushings and all other rybbery stuff between the suspension parts.

In essence the springs/roll bars are there to limit movement (roll, pitch as well as vertical movement per suspension) - the shock absorbers are there to limit the speed of that movement.

If by oscillation you mean the movement of the car relation to ground...?
Quote from Hyperactive :If by oscillation you mean the movement of the car relation to ground...?

Yes. When I was driving one day (in real life, not LFS), I went over a bump on one side of the car, and it felt like it kept rotating back and forth a little. To experiment, I went into LFS and played around with springs and anti-roll bars. I modified the default setup so that the spring stiffness was 20N/mm less, and then guessed that to compensate I'd have to increase the anti-roll bar by 40N/mm since there are two wheels, and i decreased those by 20N/mm. I then adjusted the ride height so that the inclination was the same as the default setup (i used the suspension display to view that). I had an AI with the default setup against an AI with my modified setup run some qualifying laps at south city classic. It turns out that the modified one was faster, because when it went over the horrible bumps at south city, the sprung mass did not get moved as much as it would with stiffer springs. But there was a very adverse effect on braking, because the nose dived so much. I will do some more testing, but I will increase the ride height and see if it helps any more over bumps (avoiding bottoming out).
Quote from wheel4hummer :Yes. When I was driving one day (in real life, not LFS), I went over a bump on one side of the car, and it felt like it kept rotating back and forth a little.

Were you by any chance driving an american car?
Quote from thisnameistaken :Were you by any chance driving an american car?

Maybe... But I think my anti-roll bar bushings are worn out or cracked, because I also hear some very awkward noises coming from the front end of my car. Like, I get random clicking sounds from the front of my car, and it does not sound like it has anything to do with the engine. And I also think that the struts need to be replaced. I drive a Saturn SL2, my sister drives a saturn SC1. Her car is basically the coupe model of mine, and it has the less powerful engine and 14in tires instead of 15in tires. When I took her car for a drive, it felt much less bouncy then mine. It's basically the same car, her's is just 3 years newer. But the Saturn s-series does handle better then many other American cars. I mean, I weighed my car at the scale at the landfill when i was throwing away an old aluminum gutter from my house, and it only weighed 2780lbs. I weigh like 100lbs and my dad weighs about 180lbs. 2500lbs is pretty darn light for an american car!
Sounds like the shocks are buggered, rather than the ARB oscillating........
Roll is damped by the main dampers - with any roll the suspension must compress, which moves the damper and causes roll damping. On a monoshock car (front monoshock, rear twin shock), there is no roll damping at the front, so it requires the movement at the back of the car (due to diagonal load transfer) to provide any damping.

Sounds to me like worn bushes or drop links. Is the damping reasonably okay (in American car standards) in ride/bump/droop?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG