The online racing simulator
Convertible cars?
(40 posts, started )
Convertible cars?

They're unnecessarily heavy, and so would make rubbish racing cars.
Nice job by the guy who did those renders, but they are useless for racing, so -1
Quote from RoosaRuulibPlx :convertible LFS cars

Technically, arn't the UF1, LX4 and LX6 convertables ...

You can put the roofs on and off them ...
Quote from DanielC :Technically, arn't the UF1, LX4 and LX6 convertables ...

And the Raceabout.
You can't put a roof on the RAC though ... making it open top, and not " convertable " ...
'Convertible' generally means a powered movable hard-top though doesn't it?

I'd class the LXs as 'Softtop' not 'convertible'. The UF1 counts I suppose.
Quote from Crashgate3 :'Convertible' generally means a powered movable hard-top though doesn't it?

What's a cabriolet then?
Wikipedia:
Quote :A convertible is an automobile body style with a flexibly operating roof that can convert between open-air or enclosed modes.

Quote :A cabriolet is a car body style usually applied to a vehicle with a folding convertible roof. When the roof is lowered the side windows, in particular those on the doors, can remain in place and be opened/lowered as normal. A car where the side windows are removed and stowed separately is not strictly a cabriolet.

*Not everything from WikiP is true
So as I understand it:
a) A cabriolet is a car with a folding roof.
b) A folding roof is also refered to as a convertible roof, from which comes the term for a car body style.
Quote from breadfan :So as I understand it:
a) A cabriolet is a car with a folding roof.
b) A folding roof is also refered to as a convertible roof, from which comes the term for a car body style.

A cabriolet is a car with a retractable roof, where the side windows are not affected, apprently.
I've always been under the impression - reinforced by the naming rules of manufacturers - that a cabriolet has a folding cloth roof, whether powered or unpowered, and a coupé cabriolet has a folding metal/hard roof, always powered in my knowledge but not necessarily for the name. If someone would like to design a manually operated folding metal roof

"Convertible" is a blanket term for all cars on which the roof can be raised, lowered, or removed (partially or fully); whether manually or automatically. This comes from the ability to "convert" the car from one with a roof to one without a roof, or with a modified roof (for example a T-top).

As I understand it, that is.

Putting more of them in LFS? Only if it's coincidental, like the RAC. Going out of one's way simply to have a type of car which is mostly avoided in racing for safety reasons - the FiA have already laid out guidelines for LMP-class cars to be of closed-cockpit designs, by a year which escapes me at the moment - seems a bit pointless.

For the record, I don't think the UF1000 counts as a convertible, because the only way to remove its roof is to cut it off and replace the rear window with a rollbar... Our option in the pit menu to have the roof on or off doesn't really reflect the speed or ease with which such an operation could be done on the car in reality, it's hardly "convertible" just because we have the option to cut its roof off

Sam
only FZ5 cabrio
Quote from rusty8 :only FZ5 cabrio

Where would the roof go when its stowed? There's no room in the back...

Maybe it could fold forward
World's greatest aerodynamic theorist in the making here

Sam
Yes, show us an in-game shot of where the roof would go in the FZ5
Quote from Crashgate3 :'Convertible' generally means a powered movable hard-top though doesn't it?

Are you implying that a Softtop isn't a convertible? Or is it just the fact that the LX most likely has a manually operated roof? It still 'converts'
Quote from Crashgate3 :Where would the roof go when its stowed? There's no room in the back...

Maybe it could fold forward

Well, you tell me where the roof goes in a Porsche 911 cabrio?
I'd love to see convertibles / cabriolets when the aero model and body flex are finished
Yeah, that is a really good point. Once we have proper chassis flex, there will be a noticeable difference driving a car without the extra stability a fixed roof provides.
Quote from RoosaRuulibPlx :Who would like to see more convertibles in LFS?

Nice vids, tough I'd like to see the XRG/XRT popup headlights working in game before this

Convertible cars?
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG