The online racing simulator
Quote from Intrepid :
If a kid doesn't want to race, there IS NOTHING a parent can do, and if a kid does wanna race all a parent can do is offer support and oppurtunity.

Without flaming you, after reading your sentence, I guess you are one of those spoiled kids
There is NOTHING a kid can do under parental authority, and long term mental harassment to do something.
Moreover, if a kid wants to race, parents won't provide him for sure with the required funds. (I always wanted to sign in karting series, my parents just said no and I'm glad they did : I might not reach F1, but uphill/downhill races are just a whole load funnier ). It is just a stupid bar-psychology you just did here, except if your parents paid for all of your fantasies, which will end up building you a very bad life.
Quote from Zen321 :. It is just a stupid bar-psychology you just did here, except if your parents paid for all of your fantasies, which will end up building you a very bad life.

That's is completely unfounded NONSENCE. I have met many kids through to adults who were fortunate enough to have their racing fully paid etc... and are perfectly normal.

You all talk about psychology as if you ahve a grip on the subject, when in fact NO ONE does.

Quote :Kid A spoilt = Kid A turns out bad.
Kid B isn't = Kid B turns out grounded

lol
I wasn't speaking of your childhood, but on your attitude right now : every one who disagrees with you is just a complete dumbass. See, there's a correlation between attitude and the way you have been raised

And btw, I was as well showing myself as kind as you have been toward other posters. So please show more respect to other opinions, because they are as worth as yours.
I dont look down on anyoone buying their seat, but I dont put them in the same "class" as those getting in on skill alone.

I dont regrad those climbing k2 alone the same as those who are carried there by sherpas either.

The payseat backmarkers of F3000 however, those are just dangeorus (its like public servers)
Quote from heson :I dont look down on anyoone buying their seat, but I dont put them in the same "class" as those getting in on skill alone.

I dont regrad those climbing k2 alone the same as those who are carried there by sherpas either.

The payseat backmarkers of F3000 however, those are just dangeorus (its like public servers)

It's weird how some people can be so inconsistent in their results.

The current full-time GP2 backmarker (ie. the slowest of the drivers doing the full season) is Diego Nunes. He was 4th and then 3rd in the Sudamericana F3 championship, which is supposed to be quite competitive. He was 2nd in the Euro F3000 series in 2007. So he doesn't appear to be a bad driver - relatively speaking - but his GP2 results would indicate he's totally crap.
Quote from Intrepid :That's is completely unfounded NONSENCE. I have met many kids through to adults who were fortunate enough to have their racing fully paid etc... and are perfectly normal.

You all talk about psychology as if you ahve a grip on the subject, when in fact NO ONE does.

lol

Your spelling is awful.
kinda reminds me of the storyline of "A Knights Tale"
Quote from xaotik :Or even doctors, lawyers, architects, military officers etc. Kids that were channeled from day one just to complete a parent's fantasy of having a kid "up there".

P.S. as much respect as I have for architects (at one point I wanted to be one), an "up there" architect is more of an exception than the rule...at least around these parts. Unless, of course, you mean "up there."
On the subject of finding sponsorships, our f/sae team (think mrt5) was able to wrangle up $20k in sponsorship on top of the $10k from the school, and our car would basically never be getting any media exposure. So it's not really unheard of to be able to scrape money from businesses. (A lot of you are forgetting multiple sponsor sources it seems.)

I agree that $200k would be a fair bit harder, but then you actually have something tangible to offer the sponsors. :P
Well it's just envy isn't it.

Everyone wants the opportunity but alot of us simply don't have the money, it's not fair.

That's all there is to it, I don't think anyone wants to take anything away from the drivers, but what if there was a Mr X who didn't have enough money to get into racing, but then somehow the costs got lowered and he was the greatest you'd ever seen? You never know if you're missing out on these people.

Money shouldn't be the deciding factor. But it is, that's why everyones pissed.
Perfectly fair. If you want more money, go out and earn it. Lots of people (let's use Sir Alan Sugar as an example) have started with nothing, and ended up with plenty of money. Get two jobs. Get three jobs. Don't buy new clothes, DVDs, gadgets... Yes, I've been lucky that my parents contribute to my racing, but they only contribute. I have to pay a lot out of my own pocket. I've not bought music or DVDs for ages, and I'm worrying about buying a new pair of trainers even though I can see my toes through my current ones... Neither of my parents were well off when they were young, and neither were their parents etc.

I work as many hours as I can (although I've given up the second job), and spend as little on anything other than racing.

So it's got NOTHING to do with fairness.
Quote from tristancliffe :Perfectly fair. If you want more money, go out and earn it. Lots of people (let's use Sir Alan Sugar as an example) have started with nothing, and ended up with plenty of money. Get two jobs. Get three jobs. Don't buy new clothes, DVDs, gadgets... Yes, I've been lucky that my parents contribute to my racing, but they only contribute. I have to pay a lot out of my own pocket. I've not bought music or DVDs for ages, and I'm worrying about buying a new pair of trainers even though I can see my toes through my current ones... Neither of my parents were well off when they were young, and neither were their parents etc.

I work as many hours as I can (although I've given up the second job), and spend as little on anything other than racing.

So it's got NOTHING to do with fairness.

yep thats right.

I recall on another thread people complaining they just don't have the money. When in reality if you want to do motorsport that much it is available. Though people will give themselves the excuse of 'but i won't get to F1' as a reason to not starting, when really they are not willing to make the sacrifices.

Quote from danben7 :Money shouldn't be the deciding factor. But it is, that's why everyones pissed.

Money has to be the deciding factor to some degree because teams, and manufacturers have to be paid at the end of the day. Cars, teams, and racing track facilities are not cheap to run. It's always been that way. No reason to be pissed about it because that IS motorsport. it has never been, or will never be that way.
Quote from danben7 :
That's all there is to it, I don't think anyone wants to take anything away from the drivers, but what if there was a Mr X who didn't have enough money to get into racing, but then somehow the costs got lowered and he was the greatest you'd ever seen? You never know if you're missing out on these people.

If he was the greatest ever, he would have the determination to do something about it.

On track when things are hard, someone who makes excuses would just give up. someone who has battled for every cent would try hard and never give up, thus making him the greatest.

senna was a SUPER SUPER rare example of having money, talent and determination
Quote from Intrepid :Miss a very important of growing up? Kids that miss out on racing are the ones missing out on an important bit of growing up.

I wish I was as well-rounded as Alan.
Quote from rcpilot :On the subject of finding sponsorships, our f/sae team (think mrt5) was able to wrangle up $20k in sponsorship on top of the $10k from the school, and our car would basically never be getting any media exposure. So it's not really unheard of to be able to scrape money from businesses. (A lot of you are forgetting multiple sponsor sources it seems.)

I agree that $200k would be a fair bit harder, but then you actually have something tangible to offer the sponsors. :P

To be honest, getting sponsorship for an FSAE team is extremely different from getting sponsorship for your personal racing ventures. The advertising value for FSAE comes from the fact that it supports education, thus making it very tempting for businesses.

On a side note, what school are you with? I'm from the UC Berkeley FSAE team and am very curious how you managed to get 10k from your school :P
never watched an f1 race and not wanted to have their job. I think I could put up with a few people bad mouthing me for being a spoilt brat when i get millions of dollars, drive the best cars in the world, and hook up with the hottest women in the world. good for them, everyone else just wishes they could do it to! I really don't think they need defending either, for the reasons above. I'm fairly sure they couldn't give a rats if people think they are spoilt when they are in bed with 4 gorgeous women
Quote from lEl E Talon :never watched an f1 race and not wanted to have their job. I think I could put up with a few people bad mouthing me for being a spoilt brat when i get millions of dollars, drive the best cars in the world, and hook up with the hottest women in the world. good for them, everyone else just wishes they could do it to! I really don't think they need defending either, for the reasons above. I'm fairly sure they couldn't give a rats if people think they are spoilt when they are in bed with 4 gorgeous women

On the topic of women...

I'd be extremely cautious about dealing with women if I'm earning millions. The vast majority of those who play nice, will only be doing it to get your money.
Quote from samjh :On the topic of women...

I'd be extremely cautious about dealing with women if I'm earning millions. The vast majority of those who play nice, will only be doing it to get your money.

Then go for the ones who want the attention
Quote from samjh :On the topic of women...

well after 1 year they are intitled to half your stuff, so just trade-in for a new model every 11 months

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG