The online racing simulator
Safety rating in LFS?
(37 posts, started )
#26 - Juls
Quote from wsinda :But suppose someone drives like a moron, finds he can't join races anymore, and then wants to be a good citizen and raise his rating. How would that be done? Or is he doomed to single-player mode forever?

It should be a tool, not an authority. Servers can choose to use it or not.
Servers using the safety rating accept only drivers with their safety rating in the specified range. With this system you can create servers accepting everyone but recording statistics for safety rating, or servers with safety rating completely disabled, or more restricted servers for good drivers...etc. That way nobody has to drive offline only and it is always possible to recover from a bad safety rating.

Servers with safety rating enabled should record some crash information every time there is a crash/spin, and send this information to LFS master server. This information then is stored in database. And if safety rating rules are changed, it is possible to compute again safety ratings for everyone using new rules on stored data. This is how it works for iRacing, because they wrote somewhere they changed the way safety rating is calculated and updated it for everyone...looks better than a safety rating reset everytime there is a change in rules.

Quote from Dajmin :
That's the biggest problem, isn't it? Without about a thousand different variables, how do you work out whether that incident was player A or player B's fault? I still think it is possible (99% of the time) with a selection of variables based on speed, direction, current action and track position, but any system is going to fail sometime.

It seems iRacing does not try very hard to find which driver is guilty. You can easily be victim of a wrecker and get a penalty. It seems unfair at first glance but the most important thing is that wrecker gets a penalty every time he is involved in a crash. On the long term, a wrecker will be involved in more crashes than a good driver, and his average rating will be lower...even if the good driver received several undiserved penalties. It works a bit like car insurances Bonus Malus System (No Claim Discount in UK). Most of time you get a penalty if you are guilty or not in a crash...seems an unfair system...but finally it makes a difference between good and bad drivers.
Good in theory, but it's going to fall down when it comes to griefers. All it takes is a moron to focus on one driver at a time and they could totally destroy both reputations.

I guess the huge fees associated with iRacing might reduce the number of asshats on there, but it probably won't remove them all.
Quote from Juls :It works a bit like car insurances Bonus Malus System (No Claim Discount in UK).

Whoop-de-doody!

You just made the whole idea so much more attractive!
#29 - Woz
Look at the yellow rating in CTRA. Yes you pick up yellows sometimes when its NOT your fault but over the course of time your rating gives a good reflection of how clean you are on the track.

TBH: If the system were such that servers had to enable a filter to block dick head drivers then its not a prob. If you are a dick you have to play on unfiltered servers until you rating gets better. That is good punishment for being a dick in the first place.
Quote from Woz :Look at the yellow rating in CTRA. Yes you pick up yellows sometimes when its NOT your fault but over the course of time your rating gives a good reflection of how clean you are on the track.

TBH: If the system were such that servers had to enable a filter to block dick head drivers then its not a prob. If you are a dick you have to play on unfiltered servers until you rating gets better. That is good punishment for being a dick in the first place.

I do not see a chance for this - who would open servers for wreckers on purpose?
Quote from Mille Sabords :I do not see a chance for this - who would open servers for wreckers on purpose?

Other wreckers who have determined to get rid of theid "dick head" status obviously.

I'm all in for this, I have a strong belief that It would work.
You're all just adding kudos to my idea. I like it

The thing is having a lot of servers open to wreckers like that could screw up the whole system, since it wouldn't really be that much of a punishment.

But look at it in terms of the CTRA.
The starting server has a default minimum rating of 1000, meaning nobody under that can join. The silver server could have maybe 1500 because by that stage you would expect to have been rated up by a few people. The gold server could be maybe 1750 and the platinum server could be 2000. By that point you'd be expected to rate and race fairly, so while racing incidents would be forgiven, any deliberate wrecking would completely trash your rating meaning you get kicked by the server at the start of the next race.

It works. I don't know why nobody gave me a medal when I first suggested it
Racing on CTRA2.
"T3STOST3RONZOR111++" rams you off the track at T1. In the process YOU take half of the field out.
!!! "T3STOST3RONZOR111++" says sorry!

You get off the server to watch the replay and report "T3STOST3RONZOR111++" . Join back, not allowed due to a massive drop in safety ratings.

You
A)Join CTRA1, and continue racing with "T3STOST3RONZOR111++" and his friends?
B)Join DRIFTZOR club with disabled rating stuff
C)Turn off LFS and go live a normal life for a change?

Apart from that I like your idea.
Have a :trophy_br, no medals in store.
Well the exact amount that each rating would add or remove from the account is the only part that still needs worked out.

And since each LFS account only gets one vote per person, it's entirely possible that someone could watch the replay later, decide that the other guy was in the wrong and correct their vote. Problem potentially solved

And yay for a gold cup! With my LFS skill it's likely to be the only one I ever see
Quote from Mille Sabords :A)Join CTRA1, and continue racing with "T3STOST3RONZOR111++" and his friends?
B)Join DRIFTZOR club with disabled rating stuff
C)Turn off LFS and go live a normal life for a change?

or D) Curse CTRA and go racing at ConeDodgers, where ratings are disabled, and where all your LFS buddies have fled.

Perhaps it would be a good idea if a sub-standard rating would gradually go back to the standard value (over 2 weeks time or so). Compare it with bans: bans eventually expire, and so should a negative rating.
I think the current insim system works. If someone gets banned from CTRA they can have a go at another rated server, if they get kicked out of there thats their problem. It basically comes down to giving people another chance. plus I think the number of people that have a low safety rating righteously or not would skyrocket, leading to more griping on the forums etc. A computer can never tell who actually caused an accident and people are almost equally inept.
#37 - Woz
Quote from flymike91 :A computer can never tell who actually caused an accident and people are almost equally inept.

True but does not matter at all.

My CTRA yellow rating at time of posting is 14%, well below the average. I have been involved in T1 pileups that are not my fault but it just does not matter. If you drive like a dick your yellow rating rizes and if you are clean it stays low. Its about trends not single incidents.

Safety rating in LFS?
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG