The online racing simulator
Ferrari Challenge [+ now SuperCar Challenge]
Note: posts pulled from Forza 2 thread...

Perhaps another contender: http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/833/833336p1.html

The preview is crap though, as they don't seem to know the difference between publishers (System 3) and developers (who don't even get mentioned), and say it's realistic when they blatantly don't understand aerodynamics. Plus the ability to model a spring is pretty easy, something the preview seems to harp on about.

I'm not sure what racing history Bruno Senna has had, but when he says this:
Quote from Bruno Senna :I think I've played every single Need for Speed game

...it does make you wonder.
It probably won't be as good as Forza, seeing as I work for the company making it I know about some of the simplifications in the physics department (although I haven't been working on FC, so it's nothing to do with me before anyone asks - they've got me busy on another game). Graphically it does look very nice although a touch over-contrasted and I don't like the blur effect (motion blur is acceptable but focus blurring gets a thumbs down from me). I'm starting to like publishers less too, as the two guys who do the graphics engine sit next to me, they want to make it look good but ultimately word will filter from the publisher through the boss, saying effect X must be in game and it must be so noticeable.
That's interesting. That publishers have that kind of say in how things should look. I guess I shouldn't be so surprised- it's a big part of selling books and selling movies.

Next Games Studios will be forced into licencing out virtual Brad Pitt to be your ingame driver avatar. Cost millions, of course. All for good sales. Of course.
PS- Bob, they're not looking for texture artists, are they? I'll work for cheap
@Bob
That sucks ass. It's always a pain when something is forced to change because of financial/contractual constraints. That's why indie projects are usually the most innovative.
Steam might get some slack, but it's a fantastic springboard for small developers - get them to dump the publisher and retain integrity!

Oh, and if they need music, I'm your man

Yup, FM2 only really shines with all the driving aids off. I played multiplayer last night and got utterly owned, but they had contact off and it was just like hotlapping with chat which wasn't all that interesting.
I want to find a server running D/C/B class cars with aids off and contact on. Sadly there doesn't seem to be that many people online (compared with Halo 3 anyway) so finding a game is sometimes hard.

@danowat
Add me
Thought this should probably be it's own thread before I throw the Forza 2 thread off-topic again.

Thought some people might be interested by this: http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/p ... geId=20071114154551734072

Bruno came back in the office for the last time (this year at least) for a day last week, was interesting to see how he gave feedback to us. While good it's a shame there's so much guesswork involved in the first place. Seemed like a nice guy though.
Do me a favour - tell them to sort out the lighting effects on the Wii version!
It might not be capable of the same looks as 360/PS3, but it can do better lighting than that! The car models look great (obviously limited by texture quality) but that's the only problem I've really got with it.

The Good
The Bad and the Ugly
I assume Ferrari challenge is a Playstation only game?, i.e. it won't be coming out on the Xbox360?
Yeah, it seems to me like the typical arcade ame with unlimited cars overtaking you, not enough corners or hairpins and you can crash your car as you want.
I thought it could be like M3 Challenge
Quote from danowat :I assume Ferrari challenge is a Playstation only game?, i.e. it won't be coming out on the Xbox360?

Appears to be coming out on PS2, PS3 and Wii. It runs on the PC too but I'm unsure if it will be released on that. I don't have definitive answers as I'm not directly involved on that project.

Quote from NitroNitrous :Yeah, it seems to me like the typical arcade ame with unlimited cars overtaking you, not enough corners or hairpins and you can crash your car as you want.
I thought it could be like M3 Challenge

Well, all the tracks are freshly created, based on real life circuits, just not named correctly due to licensing issues (something we know all aboiut here in LFS). As I understand it, the tracks have been created from photos/maps rather than any raw data, and Bruno has driven the circuits and given feedback as to where they are wrong (too wide on a straight or a corner isn't sharp enough, etc). Sadly hardware limits the number of cars on track, so they are not unlimited. I think the final numbers will be 16 on track (except the Wii, which is 8 IIRC).

The preview videos do have to be taken with a pinch of salt as many changes to what has been seen are still underway (AI, graphics, models, paintshop, sounds, handling, etc).
The old Ferrari 355 Challenge game for the Dreamcast/arcade was the best console/arcade racer I ever played.
355 Challenge in the arcade was what gave me the SIM racing bug
I am actually quite looking forward to this on the PS3, looking VERY tasty.

Pics

Gamespot hands on

Movie 3

Movie 2

Movie 1

Anyone got any ideas of a car list?, they reckon 50+ ferrari's, wonder if they will have most/all notable Ferraris in it.

Quote :Lucky then, that you don't need a seven-figure bank account to take part in the fun in the PS3 version of the game, which will feature more than 50 Ferrari models. This ranges from current drives like the F430 to classic models, such as the 275 LM , as well as that rarest of red beasts, the 250 GTO. There will also be more cars on the way postrelease via downloadable content.

Track list is pretty impressive

Quote :Then, there's a vastly larger list of tracks; in fact, for a pure circuit racing fan, this is probably one of the more exciting features in the game. Italian tracks, such as Mugello, Monza, and the Ferrari's own test track, Fiorano, will likely be favorites in the game, but the list doesn't end there. American tracks, such as Laguna Seca, Auto Club Speedway of Southern California, Homestead, Virginia, and Infineon mix with grand prix tracks, such as Redwood Park (aka Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal), Spa Francorchamps, Silverstone, and Hockenheim, Then, there are the slightly more obscure circuits, such as Misano, Mont Tremblant, Paul Ricard, and, finally, there's the crown jewel of motor sport locales: Monaco.

That actually sounds pretty interesting.. Is this game supposed to work on that new Gmotor 2 engine? or was that for the new GTR game?
Anyway, so, this game is going to be on the PC and PS3? That's nice, anyone knows if it supports a momo wheel on the PS3? Is that only a developers decision should it work or not or Sony's? Cause i know that Momo doesn't work on GT5 prologue...
Nevermind, i've mixed up this game with Ferrari Project from Blimey, i thought we're talking about that game..
From what I saw this Ferrari Challenge for ps3 is yet another sim-cade, just like race driver games from codies...

However "Ferrari Project" from Blimey! looks really interesting. It doesn't use that "good old" ISI engine anymore, but a newly built one - gfx is fantastic, rivaling gt5 imo, although there isn't much known about physics engine atm, but lets not forget that they hired RBR physics programmer (can't remember how to spell his name). Moreover that same engine (that's my guess) will be used later for their another sim too - codenamed "Project Falcon".

So prospect of a high budget, officially licensed sim with great graphics (and probably physics) sound promising.

Some wip screens of "Ferrari Project" from Blimey!
http://www.blimeygames.com/sit ... s/screens/ferrari_005.jpg
http://www.blimeygames.com/sit ... s/screens/ferrari_006.jpg
http://www.blimeygames.com/sit ... s/screens/ferrari_007.jpg
http://www.blimeygames.com/sit ... s/screens/ferrari_008.jpg
The external car shots look pretty good, but I think the in-car screens need MOAR BLOOOM!!!11!11one

I don't get this whole one-brand game idea. I'm as big a Ferrari fan as the next man, but I know that the Enzo is going to smoke most of the competition, so unless the entire field is Enzos the competition is pointless. And a full field of the same car is really boring.
Quote from Dajmin :The external car shots look pretty good, but I think the in-car screens need MOAR BLOOOM!!!11!11one

I don't get this whole one-brand game idea. I'm as big a Ferrari fan as the next man, but I know that the Enzo is going to smoke most of the competition, so unless the entire field is Enzos the competition is pointless. And a full field of the same car is really boring.

You think?, I quite like single car/class racing
Dan, cars are as follows:
250GTO, LM & TR
348 & 348 Challenge
355 & 355 Challenge
360 & 360GT
365GTB
430, GT2, GT3, Scuderia, Spider
512M, S
550, 550GT
575, 575GTC
Dino
Enzo
F40, F50, F50C
FXX

Some further reading:
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06 ... nds-on-ferrari-challenge/
http://www.gameinformer.com/Ne ... 6/N08.0619.1833.02646.htm
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/883/883057p1.html
http://uk.gamespot.com/ps3/dri ... previews&subj=6192659

Quote from Dajmin :And a full field of the same car is really boring.

Welcome to LFS.
Quote from Bob Smith :Dan, cars are as follows:
250GTO, LM & TR
348 & 348 Challenge
355 & 355 Challenge
360 & 360GT
365GTB
430, GT2, GT3, Scuderia, Spider
512M, S
550, 550GT
575, 575GTC
Dino
Enzo
F40, F50, F50C
FXX

Thanks Bob, a bit short of the vaunted 50 cars though, still looks like fun

Have you played it?, any "off the record" comments
Quote from Dajmin :...a full field of the same car is really boring.

Same chances for all drivers, I think those are the most fair races
It might well be fair, but it's still hideously dull to watch. I'd rather see at least multi-classing in that case so there's 2 car models on the track.
That's another reason to not go with one manufacturer - it's much better to have a load of similar-spec cars together. Like LFS' Turbo class, or the XFG/XRG races. different cars, balanced racing.

But here's a question - if F1 all used (for example) Ferrari's current car, what would the driver championship look like?
Quote from danowat :Thanks Bob, a bit short of the vaunted 50 cars though, still looks like fun

That may not be the complete list, but is still 30 cars, and very likely doesn't include any of the planned downloadable content.

Quote from danowat :Have you played it?, any "off the record" comments

Only very briefly (to test a car from another game in that proven code), certainly not enough to pass judgement. Also this was using a different console to which you'll be able to buy it for.

I have HEARD the FFB though, from when other people have been driving, and that was enough to make me not bother trying it with a wheel. I suspect that will be the main weak point from a more purists point of view, although having not tried it "hands on", that's only speculation. No such issue when using a pad, of course. I can at least confirm the G25 and DFP are supported.
As i read on that Joystick site, this is the game from the guys that did that Sega F355 Challenge? The one that was suposedly ahead of it's time? That sounds promising...
Anyone knows where i could find out if Momo wheel will work with this game? There's no contact adress on their site...

Ferrari Challenge [+ now SuperCar Challenge]
(80 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG