The online racing simulator

Poll : Do you support this idea ?

+1000
+-0
+1
Quote from ajp71 :Currently intake and weight restrictions are able to be set on the server (through InSim), none of the servers using this are very popular are they?

Because they work the opposite way I suggest.
Actually, via Insim, they control "restrictions" while in my idea they would control "upgrades" : they won't restrict anything, just allow this or that upgrade to your car Wink
xrt with more power just means you brake sooner after the straight

There is no need for any of this. Get some friends on an old server with mekanic or something if you really want to race tuned cars.
What you suggest would be fun for private leagues, but a nightmare for pickup racing. If there were a clear way to distinguish between the two...
ok i get your point, but i want to add my 2cent to this "discussion"

why not having something like bonus-points. like you have 5 bonus points which you can spend on your car. e.g. 1 points for wheight reduction, 1 point for more horsepower, 1 point for less fuel consumption, 1 point for less tirewear... another driver will just push his main speed and adds all 5 points to more bhp. some other driver want to push his handling and adds all 5 points for the downforce. now this does not make sens for one race, but when you look at a league where you have to predefine your "tuning" before the first race, you have to think about which tuning do you need for a good mix on all tracks OR you just say, ok i want to win that oval race and give the BHP a push but that guy will defo suck in all south city tracks.

on short races users will always use the same setup but its the tactic on long races that brings tuning into interest.

this means, the system needs to be embeded in some sort of league structure or like ctra servers: you first earn "improvement points" and then you can spend them on your car and improve it to run with it on a league on that server.

so you get a +1 from me, but i needs a shit load of work...

i'd rather want to have a proper damage model and aero-model first though
#30 - Woz
Where is the -1000 option lol. So you think the vote of people that want tuning within LFS is worth 1000 times more than those that do not?
#31 - JJ72
In short, to achieve this, LFS first need:

1.Realistic performance/reliability/structural limit relation in parts, without that everyone will go straight for the fastest combo.

2.An automatic classing system to group the cars online, Forza 2 does it best but it's still not perfect.

3.A baseline performance package for people who don't want to mess with tuning, that is balanced, which would take a lot of work.
The problem with relating real-life with LFS is that in real-life you really need to dish out some cash to adjust a car, so you have limited options or your name is Bill Gates. What actually would help is making the possible car setups we have more limited. As it is now, you seem to have an unlimited amount of gearboxes with all the different ratios in existance, all values of shocks and spring, anti-roll bars etc... I wonder how big the storage departement for my XFG must be like....

So in my opinion we firstly must limit the ranges and steps in which we can adjust various variables of components. This might also benefit new player experience, especially for beginner cars since you have less choices and are not comletely clueless about what to do.

After that is done you could think about adding more aspects that can be "tuned".

What also doesn't help is the fact that current LFS enivironments are static, like no changing weather(except wind), so there's only one setup needed.

Ohh, got to go, stupid thunder storm..........
Quote from Woz :Where is the -1000 option lol. So you think the vote of people that want tuning within LFS is worth 1000 times more than those that do not?

The number have nothing to do I don't think that counting the +/- makes a good suggestion or a bad one. This was just to have an idea of the enthusiasm of the people here, nothing more, nothing less Wink

Plus, even if this is my idea, I don't consider it as my baby, so I won't be pissed if people prefer to put -1000 instead of -1 Wink

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG