The online racing simulator
Anyone wanting to join iRacing now?
(126 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Stigpt :The business model apart (ill get into that later), I've read the whole site from one end to the other.

If this was a normal-payed game, I would STILL give it a pass, waiting for reviews to come to check the physics.
What MOST developers forget is that a racing simulator game is 99.99% physics and 00.01% candy.
You could have a pretty bland-looking game with few tracks and few cars, and if the physics was spot on, it would sell.
OR a game with no real cars, no real tracks, spot-on physics and it would sell (RIGHT?)
EVERYTHING I read there seemed like hyper-blow PR talk.
I saw nearly zero talk about physics, damage-modeling, suspension simulation, etc.
The ONLY physics thing on the site is a claim of a "of a new, proprietary tire model. It replicates tire forces over a wide range of speeds and loads"

However, that whole text (Technology -> Car Tech) reads basically as follows:
"A critical difference between game-level simulations and the hyper-accuracy achieved by iRacing.com is the sophistication of our physics engine." [followed by a definition of physics engine] and much PR speak about importing CAD designs from real cars, getting exact laser-measured sizes of parts, etc.

Well have to wait and see if its a "OMG this is arcade crappola" or a "sell your wife and kids to get this!".

for the simple sum of $20, you can find out for yourself and put all these dark areas to rest by testing it yourself. You can keep your wife too
Quote from StableX :for the simple sum of $20, you can find out for yourself and put all these dark areas to rest by testing it yourself. You can keep your wife too

Sometimes selling the wife may be a better idea
I'd rather first rent the wife for a trial period of a month or so to check out physics and see how she runs on my medium spec machine etc.
Ill take an invite from anyone.
No more requests in this Thread please. Just send me a PN with your real name and email address
Quote from George Kuyumji : if you want to join now already you can sign up for 1 month, 3 months, 6 months or a year. Credit card required.

lol how much? Im gona wait for the free demo, I dont care if it takes years (or they never release a demo) im not paying their silly prices.
nm
Quote from anttt69 :lol how much? Im gona wait for the free demo, I dont care if it takes years (or they never release a demo) im not paying their silly prices.

If they don't get enough customers they will change their pricing/demo options but for now that doesn't seem to be the plan.
Hello.

Do you guys have any idea as to when the people who were invited by beta testers (those 10 ones which each beta tester could invite) will be able to join this "first wave"?
In fact I guess those 10 invited people from each tester are the ones who will be called the first wave. Is that it?

Anyone with a invite already got their "go ahead" for subscription or something?
Quote from Meanie :Hello.

Do you guys have any idea as to when the people who were invited by beta testers (those 10 ones which each beta tester could invite) will be able to join this "first wave"?
In fact I guess those 10 invited people from each tester are the ones who will be called the first wave. Is that it?

Anyone with a invite already got their "go ahead" for subscription or something?

Quote :"Next week we are inviting in more than 1000 subscribers. "

John Henry, June 16th.

Keeerrrrccchhhiiiiinnnnggg!!!!!!!!
The current generation of software is advancing faster than the hardware. This is why I am not to bothered about iRacing. It's physics might be awesome but how the hell would I know. I have never driven a Formula Mazda or Solstice, and even if I did iRacing wouldn't feel the same.

Financially speaking to actually BENEFIT from iRacing's improved physics and track accuracy I would have to spend £XXXXX on getting a freakin awesome wheel and 401 simulation unit at the very least... that is if its really THAT good. On my G25 iRacing or any other sim isn;t going to be THAT much better. And if I was in that position to spend that amount of cash on a sim I would need to see a doctor as to why I didn't go and do it for real.
Quote from Intrepid :The current generation of software is advancing faster than the hardware.

Can I have whatever you've been smoking?
Quote from bbman :Can I have whatever you've been smoking?

Better don't, or you will praise everything a certain F1 driver does.
Quote :It's physics might be awesome but how the hell would I know. I have never driven a Formula Mazda or Solstice, and even if I did iRacing wouldn't feel the same.

You might as well say the same thing about LFS then... 'it might be awesome but how the hell would I know?'. But of course nobody says that.
I have never said LFS has super accurate physics . Everytime I play as sim most of the time I utter the words - "That aint right"

Problem is with this current generation of hardware it is nigh on impossible to know if it DOES feel right. The physics could be 100%, and FF 100% accurate BUT it wouldn't feel the same as reality because the lack of G Forces, and demands on fitness.

I can only imagine someone who has a vast amount of experience with a certain type of vehicle can judge a sim to any credible degree... this is why I am looking forward to KartSim. It is the first sim I can really get my teeth into. It's gonna be mega

But to bring it back to iRacing. With all this talk of mental physics you do feel that if they really are THAT good you can only appreciate them by investing in top end hardware, which doesn't even exist yet.

the truth is if your using the SAME wheel on the SAME comp with iRacing as with LFS/NetKar etc... the differences ARE NOT going to be THAT big. Hence the reason why I think if you want to invest in iRacing pricing scheme you need the full KIT otherwise it's pointless as a concept. And if you want to invest in all that stuff, why the hell wouldn't u just do it for real?

iRacing may be ahead of it's time in that respect.
I made a point in the other iRacing thread that I thought it was strange that you had these enormously expensive motion simulators running on $20 software. That's a case where the hardware seems in front of the software, at least in price! But at the end of the day, we're talking about software that's mainly designed to be run at home on fairly moderate setups at best.

You're probably right. I don't even know what LFS feels like with a wheel... haven't touched iRacing- so I'm in no way able to say if it's worth it or not. We need more indepth reviews from people on this.. I've just heard good things, and I want to see the software/genre evolve.
Looks like some MMORPG.
Seeing a game must totaly rock before I buy it (LFS for instance), I'll skip this, unless it's totally mind-bowling
Quote from BlakjeKaas :I'll skip this, unless it's totally mind-bowling

I'd even settle for mild spiritual pinball.
Quote from bbman :Can I have whatever you've been smoking?

on this rare occasion hes right on the money while not having the slightest clue what hes talking about though games like ror or plasma pong show just how much big advances in real time phyiscs are held back by unsuitable sequential cores
Quote from Shotglass :on this rare occasion hes right on the money while not having the slightest clue what hes talking about though games like ror or plasma pong show just how much big advances in real time phyiscs are held back by unsuitable sequential cores

If anyone changed their mind about joining, pass the invite to me please
Quote from PMD9409 :It is worth thinking about, how do you think I payed for it?

Yeah, the police report for male prostitution was an interesting one to read...
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Yeah, the police report for male prostitution was an interesting one to read...

Sure it wasn't yours?
This thread is closed

Anyone wanting to join iRacing now?
(126 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG