The online racing simulator
Is it possable to...
(32 posts, started )
Ok, lets go back a few steps, to see if we're all on the same page.

How do you see the whole stack working together, in detail?
Keyboard dose not work so i am using an on screen one.

Client (Browser makes page request) -> Webhost ( PHP Functions get data form LFS's InSim, PHP then parses the data into html. ) -> Client.

For speed PHP will allready have to be connected to the LFS server InSim program. But this will require PHP to be running all of the time. While most server only allow PHP to run for only 30 seconds my web host runs it for how ever long it is needed. Still this is a pit fall we most over come if we want this to work on all servers.

AJAX can be used for some guess work when it comes to mapping stuff out. Just like LFS itself guess where the car will be in the race while it still has not recived a packet from said client. You could keep open a consent connection with PHP and just call the script itself evey 30 seconds with cron.

Any more ideas?

Keep in mind I am a self taught programmer, so any extra programmer termonlogy will likey go over my head.
I might have a solution. Didn't read the whole thread so let me know if there is anything I left out and can include or answer later

My solution for NAL anyway, is a manager/webserver! See the screenie to see my test version in action. It connects to InSim as normal (or several InSims in the same window) and each InSim connection has several features: 1) Shows live data in the user list and you can chat. 2) Qualify manager. This keeps a list of everyone that has done a lap in the server and will send lap data via post to a php script or whatever. 3) Status updater. If nothing has been sent to a site after a certain amount of time, this will send server info (host*.txt stuff) to a web script. 4) A webserver! It listens on whatever port for GET or POST requests, can do logins, parses templates, act as a file host, user organization and a banned IP list.

Like I said, this is a test version and is slow going for development. At least while I have classes for another couple weeks. And in a few months after I learn more Java, I will redo the whole program in that. (that one is VB6 )

Look good? Any requests? UI advice? etc..
Ray, your awsome dude. As for the UI, make it look like the F1 Pit wall. Untill then I can give you a F1 style css and image file for you to use.
Quote from Dygear :Keyboard dose not work so i am using an on screen one.

Client (Browser makes page request) -> Webhost ( PHP Functions get data form LFS's InSim, PHP then parses the data into html. ) -> Client.

For speed PHP will allready have to be connected to the LFS server InSim program. But this will require PHP to be running all of the time. While most server only allow PHP to run for only 30 seconds my web host runs it for how ever long it is needed. Still this is a pit fall we most over come if we want this to work on all servers.

AJAX can be used for some guess work when it comes to mapping stuff out. Just like LFS itself guess where the car will be in the race while it still has not recived a packet from said client. You could keep open a consent connection with PHP and just call the script itself evey 30 seconds with cron.

Any more ideas?

Keep in mind I am a self taught programmer, so any extra programmer termonlogy will likey go over my head.

Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to make an insim client that constantly outputs "renderable" data (to file / sql) for you to grab via ajax / php ?
Quote from filur :Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to make an insim client that constantly outputs "renderable" data (to file / sql) for you to grab via ajax / php ?

Yes, which is what we're trying to say.

Dygear, I think you're still missing our point, or we're missing yours. Can you elaborate in a bit more detail on each step in your "plan"?
If I bulid it, you will come. I'll make the program, just give me a few weeks.

Is it possable to...
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG