The online racing simulator
first car
(58 posts, started )
Quote from wark :+1 all the way. With every reason.

...and motorcycles.

haha from an American too.
Quote from -DrftMstr- :Just imagine cheap American cars... For all I care, even if the SHO beat the M5 in 1990, I would ( and did) still buy an 18 year old BMW over a Ford.

Sorry for your Chrysler experience. They're rendezvous with Daimler didn't help much. My family had a 1990 Dodge pickup could have taught a saigon whore a couple new ways to suck.

I won't deny that American cars lack in a 'few' areas. Then again, my parents Nissan isn't exactly an inspiring drive either. I had my own fix for the American car thing with the T.

The engine is Japanese (Yamaha)
Trans is Jap (Mazda)
American quality interior is rotting in a land fill somewhere in Lancaster County
Differential is British (Quaife)
Suspension is a mix of GM, Koni, Ground Control, Eibach
Brakes from PBR (Autralian if memory serves)

Sure, the car is a b*tch to drive on the street. It's quick around a track, unique, and dammit, I built it myself. That's a key thing. I've had trouble finding things that I am happy with. No manufacturer has the ball to create an affordable car that fits my needs. I had to take what I had and make the best out of it. Then again, I think there's something cool about a big 'ol American sedan chasing down more traditional track cars.

Anyway, I really don't have any particular loyalty toward manufacturers or countries. I actually went and looked at a Mazdaspeed 3 today. I really like it and think it would make a better daily driver than the SHO.

That's all for me tonight. I'm really trying not to step on toes here. I guess my point (completely lost at this point, whatever) was that there is another car that the OP might consider. A lot of car for the money, sporty enough to have fun, and inexpensive. I just thought I would give a little historical background (I thought it might draw a bit of attention, and a few took the bait).

Thanks,
Mike
Actually, you surprised me when the SHO was actually faster then the E34 M5. Very surpised. And you don't have to apologize lol. You didn't make those cars, did you?

I still stand on the 5 choices I selected :P.

Oh.

6. Taurus SHO done right.
Quote from -DrftMstr- :My OTHER uncle drives a Ford Fusion. Tacky, slow, slushy handling, and infested with small problems every month. A friend drives a Malibu, rubbish. The new G5, crap, i've never been in such a boring and unresponsive car. The Aveo, would struggle to get off the line with 4 people. And not to mention the Taurus. A coworker kindly borrowed me his car to do some errands. shocks, what shocks?!!! floats like a boat. On the exit ramp of the highway, the car rolled so bad. And you know what's the best example: the American's best sports car the Corvette ZR1: leaf springs. nuff said.

It irritates me that Ford use some of their car names both for their european and american cars, even though they're totally different cars. In this case, there's quite a big difference on the european Ford Fusion and the american Ford Fusion.
Yes for some reason Europe gets better American cars and Australia gets much sportier and more attractive American V8s. I won't complain about American cars though. I drive a 1986 mercury wagon which in today's prices would have cost around 35K dollars and it's never had engine or interior problems. I actually enjoy driving it more than my friend's lexus (which is falling apart in every way and is only 5 years old) Maybe it's less about the quality of the car when it comes off the line, but rather how much you take car of your car. American cars have the advantage of size over euro cars. Micro subcompacts can't fit four people and their luggage like a lincoln towncar can. And hey, leaf springs seem to be working ok for the new corvette. That thing handles beautifully. Maybe chevrolet just doesn't want to rape people with the extra cost of a completely redesigned and more expensive suspension when the one they have is proven, competitive and has made the corvette one of the best all-around sports cars ever made in mass production.
Quote from PAracer :Alright. I'm not going to put a whole lot of time into time. I'm a little drunk, and it's not on topic. But...

http://bmwe34m5.com/articles/e34BMWM5_CD_1990.pdf
http://home.pon.net/hunnicutt/images/CD_SHO.jpg
http://www.motortrend.com/road ... 93_ford_taurus/index.html

It still weighs a few tons, is very simple (solid rear axle, pushrod V8 and leaf springs?) and like all American cars is cheap and cheerful and afraid of corners.

Quote :
ajp71- I'm sorry you had issues with an American car. The Taurus X has nothing to do with the original except for the name. I hope you weren't confused. Any and all comment relating 'sport' and 'Taurus' are only to be made for the SHO. The SHO and regular Taurus models had many, many differences.

I am well aware the Taurus X is a completely different car, I was just commenting on build quality of American cars. Funny thing is we were just having a conversation about different levels of quality between Ford USA and Europe when the roof lining fell off.
Quote from ajp71 :It still weighs a few tons, is very simple (solid rear axle, pushrod V8 and leaf springs?) and like all American cars is cheap and cheerful and afraid of corners.

Eh? The Taurus has had an independent, coil sprung, suspension since it was introduced in 1986. The only V8 that they ever had was in the 96-99 SHO. Even that was a 3.4L, DOHC engine. Block by Ford, Heads designed my Yamaha. The car's weight is right in line with comparably sized cars, foreign and domestic. The lightest were around 3100lbs, the fattest eclipsed 3500 lbs. The light ones were 1989 models sold without options, the pigs were the later ones with a crapload of options. They never did part with the Flintstone braking system, though.

Quote :
I am well aware the Taurus X is a completely different car, I was just commenting on build quality of American cars. Funny thing is we were just having a conversation about different levels of quality between Ford USA and Europe when the roof lining fell off.

Do you believe in irony? I suppose it depends on the care a car recieves. My interior had ZERO squeakes or rattles when I threw away the interion a couple years ago. It was 13 years old at that point, over a hundred drag passes and a few track events.
Quote from PAracer :
Do you believe in irony? I suppose it depends on the care a car recieves. My interior had ZERO squeakes or rattles when I threw away the interion a couple years ago. It was 13 years old at that point, over a hundred drag passes and a few track events.

Possibly build quality standards have dropped? Or maybe Ford never envisaged that customers would expect the roof lining not to spontaneously fall off after the first week? Given that both UK Fords on our drive have survived considerably bumpier roads than American highways, years of having smelly dogs and motorsports spares thrown in them and a track day without the roof linings falling off I suspect there may be a difference in build quality.

first car
(58 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG