The online racing simulator
Graphics card trouble
(12 posts, started )
Graphics card trouble
I have a Radeon X600 for about 6 months now. I don't run really high resolutions (because I play on my tv, doesn't support higher than HD ready), and it's not overclocked afaik.
I used to have the Omega drivers, but everything started to glitch. I first started noticing it in RBR, then LFS, now Fifa has it too, so everything really. So I changed to Catalyst drivers, but it's just the same.

The glitch is just a plain stretched from god knows where, to cover the whole footballfield, the whole ground leven in RBR and I get big walls in LFS, in America's Army the walls change color. So every game is a bit different.

When I tab out of the game and go back in, it's okay for a while, but the glitching comes back after a while.

I don't think it's overheating, the fan works, and it doesn't feel hot or anything. I'm quite puzzled
#2 - hda
As you said, if you tab out and go back in it's ok for a while, probably because the temperature decreases while it's out in 2d mode.

So I would point to overheating as the most likely cause.

It's funny cause a friend of mine is having glitches as well, but only in LFS (posted a thread about that)
#3 - wien
Since it happens in all games it's either drivers (unlikely given that you get the same across several different drivers), or it's physical. Fried/overheating memory most likely. Could perhaps be worth a try to reseat the heatsink and maybe apply a new layer of thermal paste, but the damage may be done.
Quote from wien :Since it happens in all games it's either drivers (unlikely given that you get the same across several different drivers), or it's physical. Fried/overheating memory most likely. Could perhaps be worth a try to reseat the heatsink and maybe apply a new layer of thermal paste, but the damage may be done.

Then I'll have to find the little screw driver set.. The whole card is covered by a metal plate, which is then covered in plastic...

I'll check it out later But I find it weird it overheats, it's not really old and I don't play that many games lately. Are things like this in warranty?
#5 - hda
Obviously, so I wouldn't sugest opening your card if it's still in the warranty
#6 - wien
Absolutely! If it's under warranty, send it in and don't mess with it. Memory failure is covered if you haven't been overclocking it. I just assumed it wasn't under warranty since the X600 is an older chip.

Oh, and memory can fail even though it's not overheating. Had a 9700 die on me in exactly the same way.
Problem is I can't find the receipt I always keep that kind of stuff in a box, but it's not there. And the box it came with was used to stuff paper in while cleaning up my room. And I don't think the receipt would have been in the box.. I don't have a clue what happened to it.
Quote from sgt.flippy :Problem is I can't find the receipt I always keep that kind of stuff in a box, but it's not there. And the box it came with was used to stuff paper in while cleaning up my room. And I don't think the receipt would have been in the box.. I don't have a clue what happened to it.

the x600 is over 3 years old i think.... go buy a new card, there are cards out from ati and nvidia which costs under 30 euro and they have double speed
So can anyone suggest me a good graphics card for around 100 euros? Don't want to spend too much on it..
#10 - wien
Quote from wien :AGP or PCIe? For PCIe I'd suggest this one: http://www.komplett.de/k/ki.aspx?sku=342813 or perhaps a 512MB version if you feel you need it. Excellent value for money.

PCIe

And needs HD exit of course, but I guess they all have those these days. That's why I bought the X600 in the first place.
#12 - wien
If you can wait a week or two, you may be able to get an even better deal though as the 48XX series is coming out very soon and prices on older cards are bound to drop.

EDIT: If by "HD exit" you mean an HDMI port, then yeah that works though an adapter. (I have the same card) Supports HDCP as well if you're into restrictive HD video.

Graphics card trouble
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG