The online racing simulator
Anyone wanting to join iRacing now?
(126 posts, closed, started )
Now the wait begins. f5 f5 f5 f5 f5 f5 f5...
Quote from A.Ulleri :Now the wait begins. f5 f5 f5 f5 f5 f5 f5...

Playing poker while watchig Lemans, awaiting my invite to come.
wow... over 100 euro for one!!! year.

and ALL YOU GET IS 2 CARS AND 7 TRACKS (4 ovals and 3 racetracks). EVERYTHING ELSE COSTS EXTRA!!!

who is so stupid to pay that much for a single game in beta status with no cars and no tracks? thats almost double/three times the price you pay for a normal game with no monthly costs and no extra costs with 10 times the cars and tracks.

really, this game is way overpriced. no game in the world is worth 100 euro a year not even if it has the best physics you can imagine. thats just insane...
if you want more cars/tracks play rFactor.

i cannot believe people are really buying this shit
some people obviously do not see a relationship between money and value thats all. thats why people buy ringtones and crap like that. and the industry knows young people spend the most of their money for stupid stuff they do not need.

again, i cannot believe people are buying this shit.

we will see how long this company exists or this price-model.

its not about quality vs quantity. break it down to the features it has:

what it promises:
it promises a good grafic (ok, nothing special, every new game does that)
it promises realistic simulation of physics (okay maybe true, but needs to be proven)
it promises a huge worldwide community (maybe in the future but at the start? i don't think so)

ok now the negative things
it has 2 cars and 7 tracks (i do not know any racing game on the market with that few cars/tracks)
it costs 3 times the amount a normal game costs if you calculate it for 1 year. an average game is about 3 years up to date, so you can say it costs 9 times the amount of an other racing game.

conclusion:
it offers great physics and what everyone else is offering with less cars and tracks like every other game and 9 times the price compared to other games. (calculated on 3 years use)

now give me one reason why this should be a good or reasonable offer
Quote from Fischfix :
it promises a huge worldwide community (maybe in the future but at the start? i don't think so)

prob never gonna happen if they are charging ppl so much.
i mean the price is just absolutely ridiculous.
Quote from Mp3 Astra :http://www.iracing.com/membership/tech.php?lc=3

"System Requirements
# Windows XP or Windows Vista
# Hyperthreaded Intel CPU, AMD Athlon 64 CPU, or any dual-core CPU
# 128MB Pixel Shader 2.0 (ATI 9700Pro or nVidia 6600 or better); 256 MB Pixel Shader 3.0 (ATI X1600 or nVidia 6800 GT/GS or better recommended) graphics adapter
# 1 GB system RAM
# 3Gb free hard disk space
# Steering wheel and pedals required
# Microphone optional, required for voice chat

Internet Browser Requirements
# Firefox 1.5, Internet Explorer 6, or newer
# Javascript enabled
# Cookies enabled
# Flash Player

Internet Connection Speed
# 56K dial-up at a minimum, Broadband (DSL or Cable) highly recommended. Satellite broadband excluded."

Thanks!, but forget about it....
Anybody here smoke? Its 2-3 packs of smokes.
Anybody go to the movies? Its about the cost of an movie and a soda.
........you get my point

It is quite a bit more expensive, if you don't think you can afford it or if you think $0.75/a day is too much, then don't pay. If you're not going to pay and in turn, not going to drive, whats left to discuss? If you cannot afford and/or disagree with the price AND are interested in iRacing e-mail them. Pissing and moaning/writing nonconstructive and repetitive posts is fairly annoying and doesn't add anything to the thread's discussion.

A few positives to the payment system:

Monthly renewals: Forces the iRacing staff to give the customer a reason to return. You buy any other sim and thats it, if the demo or reviews convinced you to purchase it, they have no real reason, from a business standpoint, to do anything extra for you. Obviously if there is no support, the word would get out and new customers would be turned away from purchasing the product.

The price pays for a large staff, which does many things for the customer's side of the iRacing. Some of them are:
- Funds to continue research and development on physics, graphics and online code as well as all the other aspects of the software.
- People who are dedicated to specific aspects of the sim (sales,rules,requests,physics,graphics,online code... so on and so forth) make it easier and quicker to fix problems and help the sim racer.
- This software was developed to be a two-function type of product. Made for both the sim racer and also drivers looking for a development tool as well as allowing companies, teams and individuals to use the software and/ or have content created. Because of this, iRacing not only gets feedback continuously from simmers and real-world drivers but also from the teams and companies that design,work on,set-up,own and race the cars and the tracks.
- Theres staff dedicated to the community and competition side of iRacing, something no other sim has.
- Having software that real-drivers use because of the realism, that is NO different from what the regular sim-user has (no notepad "fixes" for grip levels) gives iRacing a very respectable and enticing product for anyone interesting in racing or simming.

No, I don't work for them. Trust me, if you look at it (the driving,racing and community), the price isn't as crazy as some people are saying.

But some people complain about anything new or different, if you don't want iracing then who cares how much it costs...you're not paying for it. After all, the other non-subscription sim's are still around and still going strong, to each their own.
Quote from Fischfix :some people obviously do not see a relationship between money and value thats all. thats why people buy ringtones and crap like that. and the industry knows young people spend the most of their money for stupid stuff they do not need.

again, i cannot believe people are buying this shit.

we will see how long this company exists or this price-model.

its not about quality vs quantity. break it down to the features it has:

what it promises:
it promises a good grafic (ok, nothing special, every new game does that)
it promises realistic simulation of physics (okay maybe true, but needs to be proven)

ok now the negative things
it has 2 cars and 7 tracks (i do not know any racing game on the market with that few cars/tracks)
it costs 3 times the amount a normal game costs if you calculate it for 1 year. an average game is about 3 years up to date, so you can say it costs 9 times the amount of an other racing game.

conclusion:
it offers great physics and what everyone else is offering with less cars and tracks like every other game and 9 times the price compared to other games. (calculated on 3 years use)

now give me one reason why this should be a good or reasonable offer

Think you need to account that of that 100 dollars half is spendable on cars as you get 60 dollars 'discount'. That should get you some cars/tracks you need for a series you wanna compete in.

It is still a lot of money. But as i read it every year you pay 156 dollars and get 60 discount on content. Kind of like LFS account money. Its not like rFactor where you have 100 cars yes.

I am still watching some friends reactions. Those are gonna try a month.
Quote from Fischfix :wow... over 100 euro for one!!! year.

and ALL YOU GET IS 2 CARS AND 7 TRACKS (4 ovals and 3 racetracks). EVERYTHING ELSE COSTS EXTRA!!!

who is so stupid to pay that much for a single game in beta status with no cars and no tracks? thats almost double/three times the price you pay for a normal game with no monthly costs and no extra costs with 10 times the cars and tracks.

really, this game is way overpriced. no game in the world is worth 100 euro a year not even if it has the best physics you can imagine. thats just insane...
if you want more cars/tracks play rFactor.

i cannot believe people are really buying this shit

Who is so stupid to pay that? I think you are stupid as you obviously didnt understand what iRacing is all about. This is not a Game, it is the most accurate commercially available Racing Simulation, with tracks and cars in cm accuracy. No Simulation costs more then €100? Its clear you have no experience with Flight Simulation were a single air plane or city can cost €100, or what some types of Simulations in our Military (I have used them) cost who arent even half as accurate as iRacing. If you dont understand iRacing you shouldnt call other people who have interest in Top Quality Racing Simulation stupid for buying it. iRacing is a Premium Product, of course it will cost more then other normal Games. Flight Simulations do too. A Mercedes costs more then a Fiat Punto.
it promises to be the most accurate simulation... as long as i could not read it in any gaming review or any self-test. i take this promise as pure marketing.

as i see your gear in your avatar, i can see you spend a lot of money for gaming, thats okay. i wish i could have 3 22'' monitors and a racing seat but thats just not the average gamer. that brings me to the point: in lfs or rfactor you have a decent amount of useres but how many servers are croweded? not really a lot.

i will promise you for iRacing, you will be disappointed with the pure fact you won't find enough races/fun which make up for the money you've spent.

btw. that cigaret argument is not an argument because its stupid unhealthy and useless. and smoking is so 80ies... (unless you are a rock-star but even then they smoke pot...)

the only argument i've read so far is the 60 dollar "discount" but even then its expensive but at least you have more possibilities.

again, its way overpriced and i promise, everyone who buys it will come back to lfs sooner or later because of the pure fact iRacing never will have a big community like lfs or rFactor which is necessary for racing
Well, it is a day and night difference between RSC and some other forums. On RSC it's mostly praise and glory, "I can't wait" etc. On some other forums you have beta testers saying it's not worth it. I dunno. I would never subsribe into full year agreement into something I haven't even tested yet. Some say it's worth their liver and kidneys and those have just seen few "awesome" vids.

Maybe it's worth the 20$/month although that's the highest I'm going to pay for a demo. Wait and see...

The only way to tell whether it is worth it is to try it.

Calling someone stupid because he is ready to dish out 13$ (the full year contract) is just stupid! Just it is as stupid to shout "I will never pay" all over again and again.
Quote from Fischfix :
again, its way overpriced and i promise, everyone who buys it will come back to lfs sooner or later because of the pure fact iRacing never will have a big community like lfs or rFactor which is necessary for racing

God, with the abiltiy to see into the future surely you could pick the winning numbers of the lottery. How can anyone be certain on whether or not it will have a community. At the start of LFS did it have a huge community, of cource not these thing take time to grow and devolp, and I have seen some stuff on these boards (and Rfactor) that make me want to bang my head of the nearest lampost, so the community aspect is not a big of draw for me as it is for others.

Besides it is our money, if we want to spend it on this, then who are you, or anyone for that matter, to say we are stupid. People who waste there money getting drunk every sodding weekend are stupid to me, but I don't say that to there face's. People who pay £1000's to go on holiday abroad, just to sit on the beach for 2 weeks and get burnt are stupid considering what kind of seceneray their home nation has to offe are daft, but I'm not on the holiday message baords calling them stupid.

Rant over.
Bottom line, if it's something you have the time to use, and will race it alot, it's well worth it IMO, but if you don't have a great deal of time to commit to it, then it's a lot of money for something you aren't going to use much.
Quote from danowat :Bottom line, if it's something you have the time to use, and will race it alot, it's well worth it IMO, but if you don't have a great deal of time to commit to it, then it's a lot of money for something you aren't going to use much.

well said.

and i apologize for the term "stupid" to all who bought it already. it's your money but i stay to my point: it's not worth it.

as long as i did not see the netcode or hear from anyone using it its as perfect as lfs netcode (and i think lfs does not have the best netcode) its worthless. the best simulation in the world is just a piece of rubbish if the multiplayer netcode (lagspikes, lagissues, ...) suck.

btw. a question. does it have a collision model? did not see anything so far. a racing game without collision model is, well,... useless

but again, its your money, i just state my concern here so everyone who is not sure to buy it, rethinks about it and waits a decent amount of time. and buying it before the actual game is out is not worth it unless you have 156 bucks to spare...
Quote from Fischfix :it promises to be the most accurate simulation... as long as i could not read it in any gaming review or any self-test. i take this promise as pure marketing.

Most Gaming Review Sites have no idea how a Race car should feel like as the Autors of the Review are casual Gamers. You can read that every Racing Game is a Sim to them. I wouldnt trust them one bit.

Quote from Fischfix : as i see your gear in your avatar, i can see you spend a lot of money for gaming, thats okay. i wish i could have 3 22'' monitors and a racing seat but thats just not the average gamer. that brings me to the point: in lfs or rfactor you have a decent amount of useres but how many servers are croweded? not really a lot.

But this Sim and Service is not for the average Gamer, it has not to do with having a TH2GO or a Race seat, it has to do with how determind you are and how much accuracy in a Racing Simulation is worth to you. Sim Racing is amonger the cheaper hobbys you could have. I understand if people wouldnt like to pay that much for a Sim, real tracks and cars with that degree of accuracy is not so much worth for everybody, but you cannot call them who thinks it is worth it stupid.

Real and licensed tracks and cars in an unprecedented accuracy, League System including Servers, database, statistics and Service, constant Software updates with 40 people working at iRacing. Of course this Sim cannot cost as much as LFS which has fantasy tracks/cars, doesnt provide Servers, Leagues and with 3 people working on it.

Im not saying LFS needs its own Servers, Series or licensed real tracks and cars, LFS is progressing VERY good and fast if you think about only 3 people working on it.
The point Im tryieng to make is you cant expect these 2 products to cost the same, they are very different, LFS is doing great with its own philosophy and iRacing will do too, but they cant cost the same if you think about it.

Quote from Fischfix : i will promise you for iRacing, you will be disappointed with the pure fact you won't find enough races/fun which make up for the money you've spent.

Is it worth the money? Thats a decision everyone has to make for himself and you cant promise to me anything, I have driven on Race tracks in Race Karts, road cars, F1800, F2000 and Group C Le Mans car, for me there is nothing as accurate and fun in terms of driving feel as iRacing.

At the moment there are only 600 or so beta testers in this project, of course there are certain times during a day when there isnt anyone Racing in the Series (you can practise alone). This will change with more people coming in, for me personally it gives a huge satisfaction when I just drive the cars alone. In the evening and the night when people come to Race Online it is easier to join a Race, but as I said at the moment there are only about 600-700 beta testers, of course the Servers cant be as crowded as in LFS which 30000 - 50000 people have bought.

Edit: I have seen you take the "stupid" comment back, fair enough
Quote from George Kuyumji :

Edit: I have seen you take the "stupid" comment back, fair enough

sometimes you say something but do not mean it that way and realize afterwards you hurt someones feelings. thats the time you have to say sorry for a mistake.
If you divide $13 by a month (say 30 days), then that's less that 50c a day. I don't doubt that iRacing's a relatively expensive sim, but it's also icy-pole money. Just stop eating icy-poles, and you'll make the money back in no time
You people do realize that the mentality of "it's only xxx more per month" is a sales tactic, don't you? I bet there's a term for it, I bet it's in a marketing book somewhere, and I bet they teach it to all the car salesmen the world over so they can up-sell the customer's lease into the higher priced trim level, all for the cost of just a coffee a day. You can afford a coffee a day can't you?

If iRacing provides marginal utility to you above your marginal cost of $13 a month (to get all scientific about it...) then good for you. But don't go calling everyone who doesn't a cheap-broke-ass, and then justifying it with that old sales tactic above. Like the folks at RSC like to do.

If the price is such a hot topic, don't you think there might be valid a reason why?
Everybody who is arguing here. There is already a discussion thread on iRacing. Please move you discussion there. This thread is for people who want an invitation to iRacing, not for people who hate it. Once again, there already is a thread for heated discussion on iRacing.
Hi, I would love a invitation if anyone has any left, am interested to see what the driving physics is like, from video's i seen it seems similar to lfs (transition from tyres gripping to losing grip seems similar), with better graphics. Much Thanks
Quote :don't go calling everyone who doesn't a cheap-broke-ass, and then justifying it with that old sales tactic above. Like the folks at RSC like to do.

Look, I didn't call anyone cheap, I just said to stop eating icy-poles. And anyway, perhaps a good way to measure the worth of something is to measure it against things which stack up at roughly the same price. You mentioned coffee... what's coffee? A few beans ground up into a cup with water added. At $2.50, that's 5 times as much as the daily iRacing subscription. If you simply gave up one cup of bought coffee per day, you could get iRacing (or an icy-pole) for yourself and 4 other people!

Worth thinking about...

edit: Disclaimer: there are different lenses through which to look at all this. Some lenses will make iRacing look very expensive. Others will make it look cheap. Only you yourself can say for sure whether it's worth it or not.. :spyoda:
Quote from Electrik Kar :Look, I didn't call anyone cheap, I just said to stop eating icy-poles. And anyway, perhaps a good way to measure the worth of something is to measure it against things which stack up at roughly the same price. You mentioned coffee... what's coffee? A few beans ground up into a cup with water added. At $2.50, that's 5 times as much as the daily iRacing subscription. If you simply gave up one cup of bought coffee per day, you could get iRacing (or an icy-pole) for yourself and 4 other people!

Worth thinking about...

It is worth thinking about, how do you think I payed for it?
The business model apart (ill get into that later), I've read the whole site from one end to the other.

If this was a normal-payed game, I would STILL give it a pass, waiting for reviews to come to check the physics.
What MOST developers forget is that a racing simulator game is 99.99% physics and 00.01% candy.
You could have a pretty bland-looking game with few tracks and few cars, and if the physics was spot on, it would sell.
OR a game with no real cars, no real tracks, spot-on physics and it would sell (RIGHT?)
EVERYTHING I read there seemed like hyper-blow PR talk.
I saw nearly zero talk about physics, damage-modeling, suspension simulation, etc.
The ONLY physics thing on the site is a claim of a "of a new, proprietary tire model. It replicates tire forces over a wide range of speeds and loads"

However, that whole text (Technology -> Car Tech) reads basically as follows:
"A critical difference between game-level simulations and the hyper-accuracy achieved by iRacing.com is the sophistication of our physics engine." [followed by a definition of physics engine] and much PR speak about importing CAD designs from real cars, getting exact laser-measured sizes of parts, etc.

Well have to wait and see if its a "OMG this is arcade crappola" or a "sell your wife and kids to get this!".
Anyone got an invite to spare, please?
Quote from Stigpt : ... Well have to wait and see if its a "OMG this is arcade crappola" or a "sell your wife and kids to get this!".

I lolled :d
Nuff said, let's just wait and see.
This thread is closed

Anyone wanting to join iRacing now?
(126 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG